do all Scottish, Irish and Welsh speak English?

Benjamin   Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:25 am GMT
Ooouh, I'll probably be going to Baden-Baden in Baden-Würtenberg in about a month's time... after the World Cup has firmly finished though!
Jim C, York   Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:44 pm GMT
I would love to go over to watch a few games, but I can't afford it. Looks ace though.

The double Ll sounds lol, I spent an entire car journey sounding like a cat with a hair ball trying to imitate the Ll sounds my cousins were teaching me, I think there is like 6 or 7!

Well yeah, the Welsh in my mind have alot more to complain about England for, and incidently were extremly good at kicking the shit into the Englsih, better at it than the Scots (which is why I find it funny that some Scots see them selves as warriors) Yet when I was last down, I saw a lot of support for the England team, flags being sold and flown everywhere, plus a couple of shops absolutly pact with them, it was starting to worry the Irish lads I was with! I found it a bit confusing as well, especialy knowing how exited to get about goals during the Hungry match in the pub i was in, turns out, as exitied as all the Welsh were!.

Incidently one shop was selling every flag under the sun (propper ones, not World Cup ones) I could see the Welsh flag etc. but no Scottish one....something to do with Scotlands Un-Unionistic attitude of late? I wonder ;)
jake   Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:41 pm GMT
dAMIAN IN dUN eIDANN:

you are absolutely right~ For a Gaelic speaker, we have a very strong understanding more of written Irish than we do spoken, but, as I say there is one dialect of Irish, Donegal Gaelic which the spoken form is very close to Scots Gaelic, and if they speak slowly enough, I can carry a good conversation with them for with almost no difficulty. I am assuming Welsh and the celtic languages within that branch work much the same, I am not sure how close to eachother as Gaelic is to Irish (and Manx too).
it is sad to hear that our language is practically foreign to the lowland Scots, I know it is true though... it is sad though that little is being done to protect it... I know there are Gaelic speaking schools now outside the Gaidhieltachd (Highland) reigions, but the thing is, education is nice, but no one is speaking it outside school, it is very inactively used.. out of choice more than force too.
I have always been interested though how Welsh became so vibrant in Wales. Like Gaelic, Welsh speakers were subjected to beatings if they spoke their language, but how did it manage to now become spoken by a large majority of wales, and now it is very actively used, especially among Welsh teens - from what I know too, there are a large majority in those Welsh schools too. How did it manage to reverse its fate where as Gaelic and Irish (just as bad off) are facing their death beds in short order~?!
Damian in Alba   Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:16 pm GMT
You know guys....the more I get involved in this Gaelic business in this Forum the more I feel the need to make an effort to learn something of the Language. It's not universally taught in Scotland's schools except in those areas where it is still a living Language....the Western Isles and parts of the north and west Highlands.....the Gaidhieltachd. I think there is a pretty strong case to introduce the Language into the school's teaching schedules in the whole of Scotland. We should follow the example of the Welsh who have withstood the advance of English much better than we have in Scotland. My mate in Wales (Andrew in Welsh speaking Anglesey) told me that a fair number of kids in Wales speak Welsh as a matter of course (outside of school) even in those areas close to the English border in North Wales....such as around Wrexham and Flintshire. That's obviously due to the Language policy maintained by the Welsh Assembly and the Welsh Education Committe. We need to follow their lead here.

Gaelic is definitely in the curricula in the night school/evening class programs in the Edinburgh City and Lothian and Borders region, as I reckon it is in the rest of Scotland. It's a sad reflection on the lack of interest in Scotland generally to keep the Gaelic Language alive, as down in Wales.

Nothing will ever replace English as the main official Language in all four countries of the UK, but on the other hand I reckon it's absolutely vital to keep the original Celtic Languages in these islands vibrant and alive, even if they have to change to meet the circumstances of 21st Century Britain.
Jim C, York   Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:28 pm GMT
Sure yeah, does need to be kept going, I think all English people would say that should happen, on a smaller insignificant level comparativly its the same as Englsih dialects slowly becoming more Estuary.

It makes sence that on the Welsh borders Welsh should be spoken, and Ide imagine that its always been that way, where I was born Oswestry ( I know nowt about it as I moved when I was tiny) appaerntly their dialect has alot of aspects of Welsh in it, apparently this is seen in farmers markets especially. TV can help in this, Welsh only, Gaelic only, Cornish only programmes, I would also like to see local programming in England use local dialect more.

I think the use of both English and local languages is extremly modern, the idea of two languages being used side by side rather than one over taking the other is about as 21st century as you can get.
Damian in Dun Eidann   Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:34 pm GMT
Jim: I can count on one hand and still have a couple of digits left over the number of cars I've seen here flying the St George flag, and when I managed to glimpse the reg numbers none of them had the Scottish S, so they were definitely foreign invaders....

During the 2002 World Cup I was at uni in Leeds and the flags covered the city like a red and white rash. LOL

Good for you mastering the Welsh LL........you can ask directions for Llangollen without getting all wound up then? Once you've got that right, try Llanuwchllyn. If you make a dog's dinner of that just ask for Bala instead as a cop out.....it's only a couple of miles away so it's neither here nor there :-)
Damian in Alba   Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:43 pm GMT
***Yeah, because things that happened in 1305 and 1415 are sooooo relevant to a sports tournament of 2006***

Och aye, Candy....maybe I should have mentioned instead the North Sea Oil revenues and a squashed Scotland on a London based national UK weather map! England looked over inflated and wee Scotland grossly undersized, but, there you go.... LOL

Anyway, on our behalf please thank the London Government for returning some of that North Sea oil dosh to us in the name of Scottish investment! :-)

Have a guid weekend.....the weather is fantastico!!! Scotland looks supremely beautiful under cloudless blue skies.
Candy   Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:51 pm GMT
<<a squashed Scotland on a London based national UK weather map!>>

Oooh, now there's a good reason!!!! It gets better and better!

The atmosphere here is awesome....and FIFA must have ordered the good weather especially for the tournament....25 degrees and forecast to get warmer by the day....:-) And to keep this at least vaguely on-topic for a language forum, it's so great to hear all the different languages in the streets!
Gweedore   Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
The Gaeltacht, or An Ghaeltacht, refers to any of the regions in Ireland where the Irish language is officially the major language, that is, the vernacular spoken at home. These regions were first officially recognised during the early years of the Irish Free State after the Gaelic Revival as part of government policy to restore the Irish language.

The Gaeltacht boundaries have been changed once since they were set in the 1950s, with Clochán-Bréanann in Co Kerry and part of West Muskerry, in Co. Cork being added to the Gaeltacht in 1974 though the Irish-speaking population has seriously decreased from what it was before the 1950s. In most Gaeltacht areas, Irish speakers are now in the minority.

http://www.udaras.ie/udaras/priontail.asp?priontail=oifigb
Jim C, Jorvicskyre   Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
Who said anything about mastering the Wlehs Ll! haha ;), nah I can get by, my accent doesnt lend its self to the Wlesh language very well ;)

And what a goal to kick off the World Cup! right from the edge of the box, boom! straight into the top right corner... though how Germany are playing today does boad very well for England ;)
Jim C, Jorvicskyre   Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:34 pm GMT
Welsh, I must have typing Dyslexia....
jake   Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:56 pm GMT
Yes,

Gaeltacht in Irish means Gaelic-speaking pockets or regions, in Gaelic, Gàidhieltachd refers to the Highlands, but I consider it really more.. Gaelic speaking region too.. because that is were the language is, as well as Nova Scotia in Canada.... about 100,000 speakers there left!
I myself am a rare case, a Gael not born in a Gaelic-speaking region, but just raised with the language and culture through my mom and her family.
Anyways, you Scotsman should learn some Gaelic, I agree... but then again, it isn't easy now a days to practice it unless you commit yourself for a few months in the Hebrides.
jake   Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:58 am GMT
Gàidhealtachd **
Johnny Cannuck   Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:25 am GMT
Just a neat story about Gaelic in Canada: A friend of mine was born in a very small community in northern Saskatchewan to parents who spoke Cree and Gaelic. They were descended from Irish settlers and local indians and although they knew English it was Gaelic and Cree that they spoke day to day.
dAMIAN IN eDINBURGH   Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 am GMT
I'd really like to visit Nova Scotia (New Scotland) and see for myself if there really are similarities with my beloved Old Scotland! Apart from the physical I mean. Do they have a Scottish tinge to their Canadian accent? Not too happy with Halifax being the capital city though! That's a place in England, not Scotland! Big let down.....how did that happen? They might at least have chosen a Scottish name, like Edinburgh or Dundee or Aberdeen or........Ballachulish (well, why not?)

*PORTUGAL*PORTUGAL*PORTUGAL*PORTUGAL*PORTUGAL*PORTUGAL*