do all Scottish, Irish and Welsh speak English?

Richard Lyons   Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:44 pm GMT
I am of Irish Decent! Although i was born and raised in America, i do posess a Celtic pride in my heritage. My people on my mother's side came here in 1751 from Cookstown, Northern Ireland. they were four brothrs and their families and all settled in New Jersey. The People on my father's side came from the County Cork area.
The situation with the surviving Celtic tongues is not at all hopeless. As far as making them cumpulsory in primary school and optional in secondary school is not going to fix the problem. When they started to prevent the language from declining the government enacted several laws that affronted the Irish people and they refused to use Irish even if they knew it. Which caused an even more declination of Irish.
My proposal to reviving the Language is to change every last sign in Ireland to Irish, all newspapers and periodicals should be printed in Irish, ALL Radio and Telivision show should be broadcast in the Irish language and Irish should be taught in ALL schools, not just special schools with waiting lists. OR SIMPLY THEY SHOULD GIVE UP THERE INDEPENDANCE AND MERGE WITH ENGLAND AND BECOME ENGLISH AND FORGET ABOUT THE CELTIC HERITAGE AND CULTURE AND LANGUAGE ALLTOGETHER AND BECOME THOUROUGHLY ENGLISH IF THEY WISH TO REFUSE TO SPEAK IRISH AND PREFER TO SPEAK ENGLISH!!!
In other words, give up, the english have been trying to anglisize the irish for hundreds of years but, your ancestors resisted, maybe they were stronger in their celtic pride than today's generation, they seem to take it as an insult to their heritage of england trying to anglisize them and make them english when in fact they were Irish, outlawing Irish language, culture and dress and history....my own country fought the English and won their independance, or we would probably be speaking British English today, but, that is a far stretch considering the variety of cultures and tongues and the way they spoke english that settled here that caused the development of the American English. But, then again, the question is would the same people have moved here if the english to this day still owned America? Maybe in the latter scenario we would in fact still be speaking Bitish English...but, i think, due to the American Revolution, we were able to develop and flourish....our own culture and our own style of English......think about it.
Back to the Irish,....If i were an Irishman in Ireland, due to what the English were doing for centuries, i would refuse to speak ENGLISH, not IRISH, i would consider my refusal to speak English as a statement to the effect that you English unsuccessfully tried to defeat us for centuries and cause my language and culture to go into extinction....YOU FAILED!!!
I still speak Irish and dress Irish and live and breath Irish.....YOU FAILED!!!
The English considered the Irish as beasts and subhuman, deserving of no respect, I can imagine the English chuckling to themselves and saying, "it took centuries, but, we finally did it, we wiped the Irish out, maybe not phiscally, but, spiritually and Nationally and cuturally...in all intents and purposes, they are now at last ENGLISH, they speak our language and dress like us and live as we do.....we have finally civilized them........"...........Remember, the English did the same thing to the American Indian, they succeeded in wiping out whole tribes and languages despite the fact that Sequoia of the Chrokee successfully converted his people into "civilized" people who lived in houses and farmed and basically lived as the english......but, the english still would rather wipe them out and posess their land than mingle with them......from what i've seen in history, it seems the English are habitual offenders of Peoples and their cultures and languages......in other words, they have a long history of doing to other cultures what they did to the Irish and American Indians.
The English seem to be like a biker gang knocking on my front door and telling me they need a place to sleep and being civil i invite them in and after a few days they are acting like it is their house and not mine and i decide to stand my ground and say something and they just hit me in the face and say that i either become like them or they will kill me and my whole family.......so what do i do?......i would kill them to protect my family and way of life in my own household.
The Irish should do the same thing, except for the killing part, they should state that this is IRELAND not ENGLAND we speak IRISH here not ENGLISH,.....hence the name IRELAND, get it???
Irish is just as usefull a language as any other language in the world. It is a beautiful and rich language and when you think about it, the grammer and sentence structures make sense...like a cold being on you not having a cold....think about it a cold is "on" your body and in your body, you are not holding it in your hands as the word to "have" would denote. Plus it is one of the most Ancient languges of Europe that is still ALIVE today......IF YOUR IRISH, SPEAK IRISH! don't let the bastards win!!!
Where is your Irish PRIDE!?
Well, I've said my piece......probably won't do any good.
Adam   Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
"The Irish should do the same thing, except for the killing part, they should state that this is IRELAND not ENGLAND we speak IRISH here not ENGLISH,.....hence the name IRELAND, get it??? "

Most of them speak English, not Irish.
Adam   Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
According to you, people in the US should speak a language called United Statesian.
Adam   Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
"The English considered the Irish as beasts and subhuman, "

Well they were until the English civilised them and converted them to Christianity.

When the English first went to Ireland many hundreds of years ago, the English missionaries found groups of hundreds of Irish men, women and children gnawing at bones.
Adam Jones   Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:05 pm GMT
I am a fluent welsh speaker and i enjoy my language and i found out today that the spanish word for thief is ladron and the welsh is lladron. I also found out that easter in spanish is pascua and in welsh pasc are these languages slightly related? could someon please tell me.
Ben   Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
Richard,

"My proposal to reviving the Language is to change every last sign in Ireland to Irish..."

All signs have the Irish on them as well as the English. Signs in the Gaeltachtaí have Irish only signs.

"Irish should be taught in ALL schools..."

It is. Irish is compulsory up until leaving certificate.

"Irish is just as usefull a language as any other language in the world."

You're joking aren't you??

"It is a beautiful and rich language"

Aontaim leat faoi sin, a chara.

Le meas,
Biniaimín.

(Regards,
Ben)
Benjamin   Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
Richard Lyons, genuine anti-English sentiment in the Republic of Ireland is old and outdated. You would not win much support for your views there nowadays amongst the mainstream population, I'm sure.
Guest   Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
Benjamin, you may be wrong since an English army is still occupying a large part of Ireland. Some people in Dublin who love to lick English arse will agree with you but that is probaly because they want to lick your arse.
Adam   Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:13 pm GMT
"Benjamin, you may be wrong since an English army is still occupying a large part of Ireland."

1) It's a British Army, not an English Army. I'm sure the Welsh and Scottish soldiers wouldn't like to be told they are in an English Army.

2) No British Army is occupying the Republic of Ireland, which is a free country. The British Army is in Northern Ireland - so, considering that Northern Ireland is a part of the UK, UK soldiers have every right to be there and there is nothing you can do about it.
Jim C, York   Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:54 pm GMT
Cant be bothered reading all of that, my boolock radar was going mental...but Adam, it was the Irish who christianised the English from lyndisfarn a few hundred years after they became christianised....St.Patrick was Welsh......
Guest   Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:18 pm GMT
England runs the show while the scots run the English. Blair, Browne etc. Two english soldiers died while occupying Afghanistan the other day. Awe, what a pity. LOL!
Benjamin   Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
« Benjamin, you may be wrong since an English army is still occupying a large part of Ireland. »

Relations between mainland Britain and the Republic of Ireland are very very good. You might also be interested to know that the current Labour government in the UK officially supports the SDLP, since Labour don't contest seats in Northern Ireland. This means that Labour technically support a United Ireland. The obstacle is that the majority of the population of Northern Ireland is in favour of remaining part of the UK. It has nothing to do with the British government wanting to hold on to Northern Ireland for whatever bizarre reason.

Nothing would please the wider British public more than to see Northern Ireland united with the Republic of Ireland. I have every confidence that most people from the Republic of Ireland are intelligent enough to realise this. Having been to the Republic of Ireland many times, a having met many people from there, I am confident that hating British people is not part of the agendas of the vast majority of them.
Joe   Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:26 pm GMT
Adam Jones

Spanish is a Romance language and Welsh is a Celtic language.The two languages are very destinct but you got to remeber until the Romans came along the Celts and Celtiberrians among other people lived in the Iberrian Peninsula.
So it isn´t that strange that you could find some similar words.

Thanks for supporting Portugal
Damian in Alba   Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:50 pm GMT
As a Scot, it was my pleasure to support Portugal against England last Saturday.

Now I don't give a toss who wins the World Cup ......as long as it's the host country Germany! That would upset England big time! :-)

[Damian exits stage left singing Flower of Scotland]
Guest   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:08 pm GMT
HaHa fair enough Damian

We all Know that Irish, Welsh and Scotish are to a high degree mutually understandable.
How about Briton in the noth-east of France is it understandable?