Why I don't like French

---   Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:37 pm GMT
Actually, I do. But compared to other European languages, French is very difficult, and the French are unforgiving of mistakes. Once I realized that to be fluent, I'd have to dedicate an immense amount of time to the study of the language, as well as live in France for an extended amount of time, I gave it up in favor of another Romance language.

Don't get me wrong! I still like French and the French culture, and read a little here and there when I can or come across something. But this is not a "joke" language - you either learn it or don't.
aiouey   Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:42 pm GMT
Actually, I do. But compared to other European languages, French is very difficult, and the French are unforgiving of mistakes. Once I realized that to be fluent, I'd have to dedicate an immense amount of time to the study of the language, as well as live in France for an extended amount of time, I gave it up in favor of another Romance language.

Don't get me wrong! I still like French and the French culture, and read a little here and there when I can or come across something. But this is not a "joke" language - you either learn it or don't.

bullshit! No language is a "joke", if you want to speak it fluently and properly you have to study it in depth
---   Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:57 pm GMT
Not really. The "other" language that I'm studying is much easier for me because of its phonetics. I already speak with a minimal accent, as a few natives have already told me. It's also "okay" to make mistakes in that language. No one will be rude about it; just happy you're learning it.
reality   Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:12 pm GMT
I already speak with a minimal accent, as a few natives have already told me.

Probably because those natives are more polite than the French but believe me if you are an English you'll always have a tough accent by speaking Spanish or any other language....
---   Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:17 pm GMT
I'm not English, so I don't have that problem.

Thank god for phonetic languages!
poyt   Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:57 am GMT
Thank god for phonetic languages!

Stupid statement again! All languages are phonetic because they all have phonemes! The difference is that some languages possess a more precise corrispondence between pronunciation and spelling but no language is completely phonetic. Although the spelling of my language is probably easier than the one of English as a whole, I have never found the English spelling particularly tough. When you study a language at school you have to use books and dictionaries, so it is quite simple to learn its spelling.
Caspian   Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:00 pm GMT
What is this "other" language you're learning?
Hyrcan   Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:36 am GMT
"the French are unforgiving of mistakes. "

- D'où sort cette somptueuse sottise ?
Baldewin   Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 am GMT
In my experience, francophone Belgians are a bit more patient with people who speak rudimentary French. I would also guess the French aren't all the same neither (depends on region, sociology, individual), and perhaps it's not as bad in reality as people try to portray it.
At least the French are proud of their language. I'm sure they're mainly 'unfriendly' if you speak to them in English as introduction. For the rest they're less shy in correcting you when you make mistakes (which is sometimes a good thing when learning a language). Spaniards also seem to have this correcting behaviour Germanics seem to lack.^^

My observation.

I would also guess: the younger the generation the more tolerant?
Yanma   Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:02 am GMT
The older, educated generation can be very rude to those who don't speak perfect French.
Yanma   Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:03 am GMT
In America, nobody corrects you or looks down upon you for not using outdated sentence constructions in academic circles. France is a whole different story...
Au   Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:17 am GMT
In some regions of some languages, people frown upon others when they don't speak dialect. I'm not kidding you. Most of the time it's only among people within the region itself though.
Anglophones tend to be very tolerant indeed, among the most tolerant in the world actually. I have never been frowned upon by any Anglophone.
Baldewin   Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 am GMT
I am 'Au' (dunno how that name appeared).

Anyway, I wished Flemings had such 'tolerance'. Some Flemings, for instance, can be very rude when they hear Dutch with a French accent. Nothing like that in English, they only laugh a bit with the accent, but accept it nonetheless.
PARISIEN   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 am GMT
<< In America, nobody corrects you or looks down upon you for not using outdated sentence constructions in academic circles. France is a whole different story... >>

-- Antimoon, le rendez-vous des plus stupides légendes urbaines !
LOLtroll   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 am GMT
La France n'a jamais changée depuis la Grande Terreur sous Robespierre. On puisse aussi la comparer avec l'Allemagne dans les années 30.