Why I don't like French

Mila   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 am GMT
Before immigrating to France, I used to think that I knew French well... boy was I wrong! I felt uncomfortable in the workplace and was reluctant to participate in conversations. I felt that the language barrier that the French imposed on me reduced my IQ by at least 30 points among certain people... When I moved to the US, my English was somewhat worse, yet it took me only a year to successfully integrate into American life. Nobody EVER made any negative remarks about my English, only compliments!
PARISIEN   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:15 am GMT
<< Before immigrating to France, I used to think that I knew French well... boy was I wrong! I felt uncomfortable in the workplace and was reluctant to participate in conversations. I felt that the language barrier that the French imposed on me reduced my IQ by at least 30 points among certain people... When I moved to the US, my English was somewhat worse, yet it took me only a year to successfully integrate into American life. Nobody EVER made any negative remarks about my English, only compliments! >>

- Encore un faux témoignage bien grotesque.
Traduit de l'italo-espagnol ?...

La vérité est que :
- la plupart des Français parlent aujourd'hui leur langue n'importe comment,
- ceux du Sud la prononcent carrément comme une langue différente,
- il y a bien 10% d'étrangers qui parlent comme des vaches espagnoles...
- et personne n'accorde d'attention à tout ça.

Mais il y a encore ici un connard délirant qui tente de lancer un nouveau stéréotype !
Lupin   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:36 am GMT
The only part of France that I can tolerate is Brittany, which is not really France anyway.
Guest   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 am GMT
The only good that ever came out of the French I had to learn at school was the base it gave me to learn Italian. I still shudder every time I remember that French bitch who was my teacher!
Hippo   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am GMT
"Why I don't like French"

We can all think of plenty of reasons why you wouldn't like it. But I would love to hear at least one good one why somebody would like French!

There's nothing that France has which isn't better at another country. The little good it had disappeared by the 1970s.
Hippo   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:58 am GMT
"la plupart des Français parlent aujourd'hui leur langue n'importe comment, " - You almost sound like it's something to be proud of. For shame! Even the French don't care about their own language! Hahaha!
Baldewin   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 am GMT
<<I still shudder every time I remember that French bitch who was my teacher!>>

Tell me about it. Irony that the most sympathetic teacher French I had was an actual francophone, but the others didn't do good job in making the language popular. lol
blanc   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:59 am GMT
"the French are unforgiving of mistakes. "

that the way people learn a language. Correcting foreign people is not being rude, it is the way to teach speaking the language. If I make mistakes speaking English to native Anglophones I would expect them to correct me if I'm making mistakes. If not, how could I improve my English?? I would never seen it as being rude towards me, or as an aptempt of prohibiting me to speak English as I want. If I'm not corrected I would think that the way I speak is correct, I would never been able to reach one day a fluent level of the language. If the french people correct you it is not because they are rude but because they want to help you to improve yourself.

" " La vérité est que :
- ceux du Sud la prononcent carrément comme une langue différente, "

Le Français possède plein de prononciations différentes, aucune n'est plus "vraie" qu'une autre.
Et les ch'tis?? si il y a des régions ou les gens prononcent le français différemment c'est bien dans le Nord... totalement différent du Français du sud, mais aussi totalement différent du français "Parisien "standard" "!
Baldewin   Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:02 am GMT
Still, stereotypes may hold some truth, they don't have to become dogmas. The egocentric easily provoked hot-headed Fleming. The Dutchman who lets his date pay her share. The German who cannot take a joke.

You have to be careful with to believe. Most claims are based on hear-say and often strengthened by people just looking for these attributes and seeing them confirmed by meeting such particular people.
boz   Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:25 pm GMT
<< I'm sure they're mainly 'unfriendly' if you speak to them in English as introduction. >>

How about being a little "friendly" yourself in the first place? I mean if you go to France and speak to them in English as introduction, you're the one being "unfriendly". Does not take a genius to learn a couple of words, does it?

As for people not correcting you, they just don't want you to become as fluent as they are. Hardly a good thing, is it? Pretty "unfriendly" in fact.
???   Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 pm GMT
French difficult compared to other European languages? Harder than Polish, Hungarian, Icelandic, Basque, Lithuanian, Finnish, Gaelic, Welsh, Greek?
blanchette   Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm GMT
Have you ever studied Hungarian or Lithuanian?? You don't know anything about these language and you keen on writing bullshit about the difficulty of these languages...You're ridiculous, believe me
Pluto   Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:41 pm GMT
Yeah, and it's not like any Lithuanians or Poles expect foreigners to study their languages or even know a couple of words in them. The French, unfortunately, have succumbed to nationalism, the lowest of sentiments. How sad! They choose to combat their allies like the English, while soon, half of France will be speaking Arabic instead of English.
???   Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:18 pm GMT
>>Have you ever studied Hungarian or Lithuanian?? You don't know anything about these language and you keen on writing bullshit about the difficulty of these languages...You're ridiculous, believe me<<

No I haven't, but I understand they're reputedly much tougher than French. Are you telling me you have learnt them, or speak them along with French, and can attest that they are much easier than French? Or did you misread my post and think I was saying that French actually was much harder?
Caspian   Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
I've studied Lithuanian and French, and can confirm that French is 1000 times easier.