HSBC Voice message

Pravi   Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:22 pm GMT
The response heard when I gave a call to HSBC (Customer care)

"Thank you for calling HSBC. As all our Customer Service Representatives are busy, please stay back or call later".

Please let me know the usage of "stay back". Is this correct or should it be "stay on the line".
Mxsmanic   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:46 pm GMT
I've never heard an expression like that before. Perhaps it is specifically British (?).
César   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:50 pm GMT
Stay back?? Never heard it, either.

I checked the American Heritage Dictionary and the Cambridge Dictionary (both online) and I did not find an entry for such a phrasal verb.

Any British to give us feedback on Mxsmanic question?
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:50 pm GMT
We have that phase in New Zealand it means to remain waiting til an operater gets to you.
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:52 pm GMT
I heard Americans wouldn't normally use the phase 'I'll RING you later' instead they perfer to use 'I'll call you later'

Is that true?
César   Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:01 pm GMT
Guest,

I have never heard an american say "I'll ring you later."

Anybody??
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:04 pm GMT
well duh LOL Cesar please READ MY QUESTION AGAIN.
César   Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:09 pm GMT
Oh! LOL!! Sorry!! I didn't answer your question (completely).

I have always heard them say "I'll call you later," and that's what I use.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:20 pm GMT
As a Brit I have never heard the term "stay back" used in the context described by the initiator of this thread. Neither has anyone else I have asked here. The only times I can think of it being used is when a police officer is holding back a crowd or group of people at some event or scene of an accident. "Stay back, please" although "Keep back, please " would be more usual I reckon.

Using it in the telephone call centre scenario sounds odd. What happens mostly here in the UK would be for the operative or automated message to say: "Please hold on or call back later".
Pravi   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:17 pm GMT
How well is "I will call you back" is accepted in america. I hope brits use this phrase
Pravi   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:19 pm GMT
Oops, ignore the repeated "is" after "I will call you back".
UnitedStatesian   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:23 pm GMT
"I'll call you back" is definitely accepted in the northeastern US (western New England dialect area).
César   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 pm GMT
Mmm, a matter of context, I would say.

You would usually use "I'll call you back" if you're on the phone with someone and you have to hang up.

"I'll call you later" is usually used when both parties are finishing the current call. Or, also, when you're talking with someone face to face.

Examples:

- Look, I'll call you back, something happened in the kitchen.

- So we're going to watch the movie?
- Yes, sure.
- What time?
- Mmm... let me check the paper; I'll go buy it.
- OK.
- Call you later. Bye.
Pravi   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:33 pm GMT
<<We have that phase in New Zealand it means to remain waiting til an operater gets to you.>>

Guest or anyone,
Can you tell me which english do people in New Zealand follow? Do they follow AE or BE? or is it that they are unique?
Tiffany   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:50 pm GMT
It seems to be unique in this respect to New Zealand (and perhaps Australia because of the proxitmity) right now as Damian (from the UK) has said he has never heard it used. Any other Britons to chime in?