How do you pronounce ''amen''?

SpaceFlight   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:25 pm GMT
Do you pronounce it ''ay-men'' or ''ah-men''?
Adam   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:44 pm GMT
Protestants pronounce it "ay-men" and Catholics pronounce it "ah-men."
SpaceFlight   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:53 pm GMT
<<Protestants pronounce it "ay-men" and Catholics pronounce it "ah-men.">>

I'm a methodist and I usually pronounce it ''ay-men''.
Adam   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:56 pm GMT
Oops. That's the wrong way round.

Catholics pronounce it "ay-men" and Protestants pronounce it "ah-men."
Adam   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:59 pm GMT
This is an extract from an article about vowel sounds -

"Amen, with the broad a, is a symptom of the movement of social pushers into the Protestant Episcopal Church, which serves, as I have hitherto noted, as the chief center of Anglomania in all parts of the country. E. W. Howe tells a story of a little girl whose mother, on acquiring social aspirations, entered this church from the Methodist Church. The father remaining behind, the little girl had to learn to say amen with the flat a when she went to church with her father and amen with the broad a when she went to church with her mother."

http://www.bartleby.com/185/30.html
Tiffany   Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:00 pm GMT
Both.
SpaceFlight   Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:03 pm GMT
<<Catholics pronounce it "ay-men" and Protestants pronounce it "ah-men.">>

I don't think the pronunciations are really divided that way. I'm a methodist and I usually pronounce it ''ay-men''.
César   Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:38 pm GMT
I have heard both protestants and catholics say "ay-men."

Maybe you've heard Spanish speaking people say "ah-men?" I ask this because Spanish language is one of the sons that Latin language has.
César   Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:41 pm GMT
Just in case: "amen" is a hebrew word.
american nic   Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
I come from a Scandinavian Lutheran background and I say ah-men.
Pete   Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:25 pm GMT
<<Just in case: "amen" is a hebrew word.>>

Yes, César. And it means 'so be it'.

<<Do you pronounce it ''ay-men'' or ''ah-men''?>>

Well, I've always wanted to know. I'm not quite sure about which form was more common. When I am among people who say "ay-men", I say it like that. It depends upon the group of people I'm with.
JJM   Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:35 pm GMT
"Protestants pronounce it 'ay-men' and Catholics pronounce it 'ah-men.'"

I have never heard such tosh in all my life. I am a Catholic and have always pronounced it "ah-men."
mike   Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
I am a Baptist, and we always pronounce it "ay'-men." Originally and traditionally, I would think that it is "ah-men." (don'tknow why...just sounds right...) I am presently trying to do a search from all of the Bibles I can find with produnciation in the Text...so far none are giving any hints.

Glad to see I am not the only one who was curioius...only question is, "Would you be willing to change the way you say it if you found out that it was to be said the other way?"
Tyrone   Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:31 pm GMT
I'm Protestant and I use both pronunciations, although I prefer ay-men.
MaintiensLeDroit   Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
I go to protestant churches on Remambrance Sunday Parades and everyone there always seems to say ah-men. When I went to my cousin's christening in a catholic church most the people there said ah-men too.