How do you pronounce ''kilometer''?

SpaceFlight   Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:56 pm GMT
I pronounce it /k@lAm@t@`/

Some scientists insist that you should pronounce ''kilometer'' as ''kil-uh-mee-ter'' because it goes with ''centimeter'' and ''millimeter''. The pronunciation /k@lAm@t@`/ ''kuh-lom-uh-ter'' fits well in with ''thermometer'' and ''hydrometer'' though.
JJM   Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:07 pm GMT
I never trust scientists who insist on things.
Travis   Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:10 pm GMT
I myself pronounce it /k@"lA%mIt@`/ -> [k_h@:."5A~:.%mI.4@`] or [k_h5=."A~:.%mI.4@`]. Note that this is very specific to "kilometer", as the *prefix "kilo" is normally /"kIl@/ -> ["k_hI:.5@] and "meter" itself is pronounced /"mit@`/ -> ["mi.4@`]. There are, of course, exceptions to those as well, as if one uses "kilo" to mean "kilogram", it's pronounced as /"kilo/ -> ["k_hi:.5o] instead here, and there are words encorporating "meter" that are like "kilometer" here, such as "speedometer", which is /spI"dA%mIt@`/ -> [spI:."4A~:.%mI.4@`] here.
SpaceFlight   Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:13 pm GMT
<<and there are words encorporating "meter" that are like "kilometer" here, such as "speedometer", which is /spI"dA%mIt@`/ -> [spI:."4A~:.%mI.4@`] here.>>

That's generally true for all the ''-ometer'' words.
Guest   Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:21 am GMT
How about kilo-ohms? I say "kyle-omes": like Kyle the name and homes without the "h".
Mxsmanic   Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:37 am GMT
I tend to put the accent on the second syllable, but I sympathize with the scientists. Note that in the case of micrometer, putting the accent on the first syllable makes it a unit of measure, and putting it on the second syllable turns it into an instrument. Other words with -ometer and the latter stress tend to be instruments also: speedometer, tachometer, barometer, etc.

I have been trying to switch to stress on the first syllable for kilometer, but it's difficult to break the habit.
Brennus   Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:18 am GMT
Re: ''kil-uh-mee-ter'' vs. ''kuh-lom-uh-ter for 'kilometre' kilometer"

Here you are dealing primarily with British vs American pronunciations. Most people agree that both British and American pronunciations are correct regarding any word and that it's futile to argue otherwise.
SpaceFlight   Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:43 pm GMT
<<Re: ''kil-uh-mee-ter'' vs. ''kuh-lom-uh-ter for 'kilometre' kilometer">>

No. Actually both pronunciations are heard in both places.
SpaceFlight   Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
<<Re: ''kil-uh-mee-ter'' vs. ''kuh-lom-uh-ter for 'kilometre' kilometer"

Here you are dealing primarily with British vs American pronunciations. Most people agree that both British and American pronunciations are correct regarding any word and that it's futile to argue otherwise.>>

No. Actually both pronunciations are heard in both places.

I accidentally left out part of the quote.
COLDOG   Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
I'm Australian and I prouncounce it "kel-lom-mor-ta"...
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:14 pm GMT
Kilometre is the usual UK spelling, with the stress on the first syllable and not the second, but some people do do the latter. ['KIL-o-mi:t^]
Kelly O   Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
How do you pronounce details? DEtails or deTAILS?
I like the deTAILS pronunciation better.
american nic   Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:17 pm GMT
I say kil-uh-mee-ter, but that's just my preference. The vast majority of people here say kil-ah-muh-ter, but of course it matter very little because we pretty much speak in terms of miles anyway.
SpaceFlight   Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
I definitely say DEtails.
Uriel   Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:52 am GMT
Personally (and it's only a personal opinion, so don't get all worked up) I hate deTAILS. Also hate INsurance and fiNANCE.

Have to agree that I've heard both KIL-ometer and ki-LOMeter in the US. I've even used both pronunciations. That's one of those words that's definitely not written in stone, like "either" and "neither", and the words I mentioned above.