2010 pronunciation and name for this ending decade.

2010   Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 pm GMT
Is it "twenty ten" or "two thousand ten"? Also what is the name of this ending decade?
Kesington Palace   Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:34 pm GMT
two thousand and ten
Caspian   Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm GMT
I agree with Kensington Palace.
Uriel   Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 pm GMT
Two thousand ten, just like the movie.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:14 pm GMT
More and more people here in the UK are saying: Twenty ten
Why use four or five syllables when just three will suffice?

I mean...take the year 1910 - one hundred years ago. Have you ever heard anyone refer to that year as one thousand nine hundred and ten? Or, in America perhaps - one thousand nine hundred ten? How they love taking shortcuts over there sometimes but apparently not in this case.

As for the decade about to come to a close? Most people here refer to it as The Noughties (sometimes The Naughties - spell it as appropriate). And the decade about to begin? The Teens. And ten years from now - The Twenties....maybe another Roaring Twenties...we may see a revival of cloche hats, waistless dresses, Eton crops, Oxford bags and Bright Young Things.

What a shame Kensington Palace is unable to spell his/her name correctly. Poor old Princess Diana would be devastated, not that she liked the place all that much, but at least it was reasonably close to a very nice burger bar where she used to take William and Harry for a sneaky bite and a cola now and again.
insoso   Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:22 pm GMT
Noughties? Never heard it in my life. Sounds stupid also.

I don't think there will be a universally accepted name for the decade. Just like the first decade of the 1900s.

I use "the first decade of the twenty first century".

The 2010s will be called the "twenty tens" or the "two thousand tens", just like the "ninteen tens".
Oddball   Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
Yes Damian but then again I have never heard someone refer to 1909 as "one thousand nine hundred and nine" - but I have heard 2009 referred to as "two thousand and nine" - the only pronunciation for this year in-fact. I go with two thousand and ten.

**Two thousand ten, just like the movie. **

The movie was pronounced twenty ten, well that was how the American trailer geezer said it.
Snoop   Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:54 pm GMT
80 degrees, when I tell that bitch "please," raise up off these N-U-TZ, cause you gets none of these... at ease.
80 degrees, when I tell that bitch "please," raise up off these N-U-TZ, cause you gets none of these... at ease.

matti:   Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:57 pm GMT
two thousand ten??

twenty ten. like nineteen ten.
whos ever said nineteen hundred ten?

as for the year, two thousand nine
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:32 pm GMT
In forty eight hours and twenty six minutes and sixteen seconds from....NOW...it will be twenty ten.

Edinburh and the whole of Scotland will go totally and exhilaratingly insane the moment twenty ten arrives......
Damian in GMT/UTC Land   Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:33 pm GMT
PS: Antimoon's clock is two minutes slow....
Uriel   Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:03 am GMT
"Noughties" is a bizarre word to me, too.
2010   Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:49 am GMT
What about two oh one oh ? How does that sound?
Kladbishche   Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:00 am GMT
How about:

one one one one one zero one one zero one zero
2010   Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 am GMT
Kladbishche Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:00 am GMT
How about:

one one one one one zero one one zero one zero

I'm serious. You asshole!