Brazilian Devours its Mother Tongue

Language Critic   Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:36 am GMT
Observations from an American in Europe
Gulf Stream Blues

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Brazilian Devours its Mother Tongue

By decree of a law passed last week, Portugal will no longer use Portuguese.

Well, not the same kind of Portuguese anyway. In a highly controversial vote that’s been debated for many years, the Portuguese Parliament has effectively changed the written language of Portugal to the type of Portuguese used in Brazil. This new standardization requires a change in spelling for hundreds of words and adds three new letters to the alphabet. All books will have to be republished in Brazilian Portuguese, and school curriculums will now be taught using the new language standardization.

The change was enormously controversial because it was seen as a matter of national pride by the former colonial power. But the seven other Portuguese-speaking countries in the world - Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, East Timor, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, and Sao Tome and Principe – had already standardized to Brazilian years ago.

It was understandably a hard reality for Portuguese to face – adopting the ‘bastardized’ language of their former colonial possession. But the stark reality is this: there are about 230 million Portuguese speakers globally. Brazil accounts for about 190 million of them (83 percent). Portugal has just 10.6 million of them (4.6 percent).

The debate about the changes brings back memories of the tumultuous decolonisation debate that took place in the early 70’s after the death of the dictator Salazar. A petition against the changes has been signed by about 33,000 people in Portugal. But, there’s really no going back now.

Living in the UK and constantly observing the many differences between American English and British English, the concept is a fascinating one to me. Considering that Portugal was the earliest colonial power, could it also be just the earliest to accept the language dominance of its former colony? Spain and France also have sharp differences between their language and the language spoken in their former realms. But considering the regional language differences even within Spain, it’s doubtful the Spanish government would ever be able to get the whole country to agree on any one standardization. And I’ll eat my hat the day I see France start using West African French.

But what about the UK? The country’s media is already dominated by American cultural influence. Seventy percent of films shown in UK theatres are American. When you take cable stations into account, 60 percent of television programming in the UK is American.

The result of this is that, though they don’t speak it, all British people know American English. When I first came here I had a hell of a time learning all of the different words, spelling, expressions and cadences that are used here. I actually had to get an American to British translation book to help me out, and this web site was also quite helpful. But what I found rather unfair is that although I was hearing all of the British words and expressions for the first time, they all already knew the American counterparts of their words. So when I would use the wrong word for something they would laugh, but they would still know what I meant. In fact, the only instances when I’ve not been understood because I’m using an American word (like sneakers, elevator, trunk, band aid, wrench, etc) is when I’m speaking to a foreign person, particularly Eastern Europeans, who have only learned British English here. So culturally, British people are already hearing American English constantly, if not speaking it.

Now let’s look at the numbers. There are roughly 350 million people worldwide who speak English as their first language. 233 million of them are in the US and Canada, where American English is spoken. 84 million of them are in the UK, Ireland, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, the largest countries in which British English is spoken. That means that there are nearly three times as many American English speakers as there are British English speakers. That may look like nothing compared to the wide margin between Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese Portuguese speakers, but it’s still significant. Can you imagine the UK standardizing its English to the American version?

The short answer is of course no. Though the number of first language speakers may be small, many people globally learn British English as their second language, particularly in India where it is the language of business and government. That gives British English a whole lot of people to back it up! (Although, it should be pointed out, China is learning American English, not British).

Still, it must be darn annoying for manufacturers advertisers and publishers to have to constantly make two different versions of everything so that there aren’t spelling and word discrepancies. I’m often amused when I see a commercial on TV here I know is American but has been dubbed over into British English so it’s using the correct words. One imagines it would save a lot of money and energy harmonizing the two languages.

Maybe Portugal is on to something.

http://gulfstreamblues.blogspot.com/2008/06/portugal-changes-its-language.html
¡LA PORONGA!   Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 am GMT
¡LA PORONGA!
Baldewin   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:47 pm GMT
Portugal can play smart and gradually take over Brazillian Portuguêse. Just keep the Portuguêse in touch with Brazillian culture and media.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm GMT
I am lazy, but that's indeed what the article read. My only addition: "yes indeed". If it can aid the progression of the Lusosphere, why not? Let's see whether Portuguese themselves will take over Brazilian influences.
Paul   Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:59 pm GMT
The new standard met half way between.

The spelling changed for brazilians also.
Maite Proença   Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:50 am GMT
s brasileiros que visitam Portugal voltam sempre com a mesma opinião sobre o povo português:
- Grosseiros
- Seu raciocínio é linear e primário
- Toscos
- Estúpidos
- Mal educados ao extremo
- Xenófobos e racistas (uma decorrÊncia da mentalidade tacanha de 99% do povo português)
- Falta de asseio pessoal e cuidados consigo mesmos
Os portugueses são o único povo latino com essas características. Os espanhóis, italianos, gregos e até mesmo os franceses são infinitamente mais educados, gentis, respeitosos e simpáticos. Os ingleses, por exemplo, são bem mais frios, mas não são mal educados como os portugueses, sempre grosseiros, toscos e antipáticos.
Language Critic   Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:00 am GMT
Over one hundred million people in Portugal and former colonies share the same orthography and the same spelling reforms with only minor differences. This has prevented the dialects that have developed from becoming completely new languages. The original Portuguese spelling system had been phonetic, but it was superseded by the 'pseudo-etymological' classical spellings of the Renaissance 'with utter disregard for pronunciation' (Williams, 1962) - a move also seen in English spelling up to 1800. This was so awkward that a spelling commission was set up within four months of the fall of the Portuguese monarchy in 1911. Minor but significant modifications have continued since 1931 through the co-operation of the Portuguese Academy of Sciences and the Brazilian Academy of Letters. Brazilian nationalists rebelled in 1934 and the 'anarchy' of the old Brazilian spelling of 1891 was reinstated, but after years of work, Brazil and Portugal finally signed an historic Orthographic Agreement in 1943.

Mayhew (1975) reported that the great expense in reprinting books and tragedy of cutting ties with the past that had been predicted did not eventuate after all. Educated Portuguese and Brazilians accepted the new forms more easily because they recognised their resemblance to Spanish and even Italian, thus showing a value for international commonalties.

Etymology and tradition together maintain some irregularities, and Portuguese and Brazilian spelling does differ slightly, but further reforms are expected.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozideas/wrintref.htm
interested to know   Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:49 am GMT
I'm interested to know: why the fascination with transvestites in Brazil?
Franco   Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:49 pm GMT
It's the tropical climate.
looling Joao   Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:13 am GMT
«The new standard met half way between.

The spelling changed for brazilians also.»

Paul, we all appreciate your effort to help, but what you say is pretty obvious. We all know that. So, please do not keep mentioning the differences between these two forms of Portuguese, ok? (LOL)
Language Critic   Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:50 am GMT
It's OK for Brazilians to choose their own brand Portuguese.

The only and best solution to avoid difficulties between Brazilians and Portuguese in communicating is to get exposed for both communities to each others' speech.

Television programs coming from Portugal don't have to dubbed in BP and vice versa but instead there should be a subtitle. Eventually both communities will get used to peculiarities of each others speech and understand completely words and phrases not used in their respective speech.

Learn from the Dutch speakers and Afrikaners that despite the considerable differences in grammar in which Afrikaans grammar went on many simplifications, speakers from both groups can easily understand each other and to think that there was little exposure between the two since contact was virtually cut-off until recently.

The explanation is 95% of Afrikaans vocabulary is Dutch and Dutch is a heritage and mother language that's why it's very easy for Afrikaans speaker to understand Dutch. The understanding of Dutch speakers of Afrikaans is analogous to that of speakers of standard American English level of understanding of Ebonics.
Bruzundanguense   Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 am GMT
Language Critic, you're not taking into account the huge asymmetry between Portugal and Brazil. Brazil's population is 20 times Portugal's. Brazil's GDP is some 10 times Portugal's (but Portugal's per capita GDP is twice Brazil's). Until recently Portugal was just a backwards, poor, peripheral European country. None of this applies to South Africa and the Netherlands. Hence for most Brazilians since the independence there hasn't been and there isn't anything to gain in getting acquainted with any other variant of the language. There's no need to dub Portuguese TV in Brazil because there's no television programs from Portugal in Brazil, and as far as I know there never has been. The same could be said about any other pop cultural manifestation (actually, here TV, cinema and music from Mexico is way more popular than anything from Portugal). The kind of contact you're suggesting would only happen if Portugal turned into a pop culture power that appealed to Brazilians' tastes (like Mexico).
ninoneto   Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 am GMT
Duas portuguesas estavam conversando, quando uma delas diz:
-Olha esse anel menina,ganhei ontem como presente de aniversário.
-Nossa,e tem uma jóia muito grande. é diamante?
-não,é do meu marido mesmo.
ninonetto   Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:27 am GMT
Due ispanici stavano parlando quando uno di loro ha detto:
-Guarda quella ragazza anello, preso ieri come regalo di compleanno.
-Nostra, ed è un gioiello molto grande. è diamante?
-no, è mia vagina.
Steak 'n' Chips   Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 am GMT
As a Brit, I get the impression that people here are as proud and stubborn about our variety of English as the people of France are about their variety of French. I really doubt the UK would agree to a "unified English" combining British and US English anytime soon, even though that might seem sensible.

I say it might seem sensible because I'm not convinced. English is constantly evolving, and evolving differently in different places. It absorbs and assimilates words from other cultures around the world all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if, after some kind of unification, British and American English would once again be very distinct iagain in just a few decades.

By the way, I don't agree that you can call the English dialects spoken in New Zealand and Australia (and South Africa) "British" English. And you failed to mention the largest English-speaking nation in the world, population-wise, which is India, where English is the common second tongue and has its own unique dialect.