Why do yanks compare American southern accent to English

Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:50 am GMT
Humour, labour, honour and favour....I'm about as British as marmite on toast and the annual Trooping of the Colour on Horse Guards Parade and the Cavalcade down Princes Street and neeps and tatties and Welsh rarebit with best Cheddar cheese and a back bacon sarnie with Branston pickle and wellington boots and an umbrella on a wet Sunday afternoon in Wigan......all part and parcel of Old Blighty.....whatever you may think of it, positive or negative - it's your choice.....

....like it was the dream and hope for all those Blighty lads fighting to the death in the mud and horror of the Somme and the rest of the Flanders battlefields in the sheer hell that was 1916.....now replaced by the stinking hot desert hell of the Afghanistan wastelands resulting in far too many 21st century Blighty lads now ending up as the main focal point in a last sad procession along the main street of the picturesque wee town in Wiltshire by the name of Wootton Basset....about as Old Blighty as you can get amidst its peaceful and pleasant green pastures of home....

Take me back to dear Old Blighty
Put me on a train for London town.....
Take me over there
Drop me anywhere....
Liverpool, Leeds or Birmingham...
I just don't care......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeE8CWYj-I&feature=related

Very many Brits who have emigrated to pastures new across the globe in search of a new life for whatever reason often end up referring to this country, their home country, as Blighty, often in feelings of pure nostalgia, again for whatever reason, as many come to realise that finding an earthly paradise is a lost cause, again for whatever reason - and that no matter where they end up it is never really "greener on the other side of the fence" in every way - that is an impossible quest anyway - although in a literal sense there can not be any other country on this planet which is greener than this one, thanks to our deliciously refreshing, intensely irritating and frequently and enormously frustrating but always absolutely necessary....rain..........but hey, wait a moment.....today the sun is shining from a clear hazy blue early April sky in many parts of Old Blighty and nodding and gently swaying hosts of golden daffodils and yellow and purple crocuses and the first hints of buds on the shrubs and bushes and trees are now, at long last, much in evidence after the horrid and very prolonged cold and snowy winter........for which Old Blighty says...good riddance.

"Oh to be in England (or Scotland and Wales) now that April's here!"....(with apologies to Rupert Brooke for including the Celtic fringes of Old Blighty).....

All posted quite unashamedly Old Blighty style but no way at all would I ever, ever, ever bring myself to vote for the British National Party on the sixth of May.....
Quintus   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm GMT
"Old Blighty" comes from the days of the British Raj in India.

Blighty, "Britain, England, Home" < Hindi, Urdu and dialects of India, bilayati, "foreign, from foreign parts" < Hindustani, vilayat, "country, home of foreign rulers" < Persian, vilayat, "kingdom, ruling entity, governance" < Arabic, walin, "ruler" ; cf. Turkish, vilayet, "province, administrative division"
Jasper   Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm GMT
Quintus, somehow, I didn't believe it was you; the diction seemed wrong, besides the manners. But I wasn't sure. :)

It looks like you've gotten your own personal clone. Congratulations: you've arrived.
Jasper   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 pm GMT
Damian, apropos Marmite, I'd previously tried Marmite and dimsissed it as "thoroughly disgusting". Recently, someone suggested that I was using it wrong. The trick, he confided, is to spread a paper-thin layer across the toast. You should be able to see the toast through the Marmite, he continued.

I tried this, and you know, it's not half-bad. It tastes like a cross between beef bouillon and soy sauce, and, it being loaded with vitamins, is very healthy food.

I hope this gives other Americans the idea to give the much-maligned spread a second chance. Remember, it's not peanut butter, and is not supposed to be slathered in gobs on the bread like it.
Quintus   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:58 pm GMT
>>your own personal clone>>

Or an irritating little hijacker carrying a stolen ID.

But the thread will go on. Boutez en avant !
Uriel   Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 am GMT
I'm not sure I crave the taste of soy sauce on bread. But to each their own, of course. And I have always wondered why the British choose to affectionately refer to their country as a "blight" -- now it makes a little more sense (hope it's actually true)!

Not much blooming here in the desert yet except my verbena, some tough little salvias from last year, and what I think is a small redbud tree (I didn't plant it, so I can't be sure). But I spied some Mexican poppies blooming on the roadside, so I hope they do their fantastic blanketing-the-earth-for-a-couple-weeks-and-then-vanishing-into-thin-air act this year -- it's been a few years since they did that. Hurricane Katrina was bad for the Gulf Coast but fabulous for the desert -- we had wildflowers taller than me from all the rain that blew west that year!
Bimbo   Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:47 am GMT
Quintus and Edward Teach are the same person.
Quintus   Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:23 am GMT
You mean the fake "Quintus" and Edward Teach are the same person.

I shall continue under my name regardless, so beware of imitators.
Quintus   Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 am GMT
Apparently it is true, Uriel.

Persian was the court language of diplomacy in India when the British arrived. The Persian adjective vilayati (in dialects : bilayati) refers to a ruling entity (which is what Britain eventually became there). Inevitably, given India's situation, it came to mean "foreign, from foreign parts" and is derived ultimately from classical Arabic, wherein a walin ("ruler") governs a wilayat, "that which is governed".

The modern Arabic term for the United States is Al-Wilayat al-Muttaḥidah, "the States which are United".

With that connotation of "blight" you (and many before you) have committed an act of "Hobson-Jobson", which is a time-honoured trait, a sort of reverse or parallel folk etymology (often un- or subconscious) amongst us English speakers.

~Quintus~
Uriel   Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 am GMT
Me masa don set me free
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:58 pm GMT
Jasper.....I'm going to sound like a TV commercial here but....Marmite....it is indeed good for the constitution, it is healthy and wholesome and rich in nutrients and in the vitamin B complex especially, so it is particularly beneficial to our nervous system...basically it is a yeast and vegetable extract plus various spices and also consists of niacin, thiamin and riboflavin and is 100% vegetarian, so non animal product eaters can scoff it with impunity, but the secret is NOT to scoff it with impunity at all, as you may well have done so in the first place.

It has a pungent taste, and therefore an acquired one for many people, so it has to be spread quite thinly on whatever base you choose to spread it on.....hot toast is favourite, and better still toast made from wholemeal or granary bread and the like, the fresher the better...like when the loaf is straight out of the bakers and is still warm to the touch....yummy scrummy....the smell of freshly baked bread is sublime.

As far as Brits are concerned there are two camps only....strictly no in-betweeners.....you either love it with a passion or vehemently loathe it with even more passion.

If you fall into the second category then, this being General Election time here in the UK, you can register your dislike by voting accordingly.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay8D39ojQsg&feature=pyv&ad=4657738192&kw=marmite
Steak 'n' Chips   Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 pm GMT
Damian, you're spot on, I've never met anyone who is ambivalent towards Marmite (at least amongst those who have tried eating it). The Australians really dislike it because it's the big brother of their homegrown Vegemite (which really doesn't taste quite the same). I tried to smuggle some in to my parents when they lived in Perth (Aus) but the customs wallers nobbled me. Ah well, back to Vegemite for them...

I like Marmite best served on that thick, heavy bread you can normally only get in Scotland (Mothers Pride or something?), toasted medium brown and quickly spread with real vein-clotting butter and a thin smear of Marmite, spreading of course before the toast gets too cold for the butter to melt.
Maid Lee   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
<Marmite....it is indeed good for the constitution, it is healthy and wholesome >

Only if you imagine that semi-liquid salt taken daily in large doses is the most effective way to ward off your first stroke.

<I've never met anyone who is ambivalent towards Marmite >

That's just the Marmite marketing campaign talking. Looks like you've fallen for it, though.
Jasper   Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 am GMT
I just tried the Marmite with butter combination. It is dee-licious! I am as pleased about this new food discovery as I was when I found Nutella.

@MaidLee: not enough Marmite at a time is taken for it to be too much salt for the system.
Quintus   Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:01 am GMT
I think you're on to something, Maid Lee, but keep in mind that marketing campaigns (Ah, Bisto!) remain a curiously vibrant part of British culture, as witness the immortal and beloved portfolio of Brooke Bond PG Tips ads on the telly :

"Lots more PG Tips to deliver - Cheerio!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9aSnj06bno&feature=related

TV repair men :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTuR6OZOdM&NR=1

The ad people seem to remember the most -- the piano shifters :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUKg9NUicM

"The name is Bond -- Brooke Bond."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AeTZ4-wLXk&feature=related

"You don't like it, do you? You think it's too common, don't you?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkN47XQWSJw

Jazz band, 1957 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWBvp2VmF9k&feature=related