Why do yanks compare American southern accent to English

Uriel   Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:33 am GMT
I didn't say we didn't KNOW the word tread. And yes, it is used in the stock phrases you mention, (which are mainly figurative) as well as for tires and stairs. But we don't normally say things like "I trod on a snake", where it's used in its literal sense of "put your foot down on something".
Quintus   Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 am GMT
Golly, I don't know what kind of Americans you are used to conversing with, Jasper, but I hear ordinary folk say these things all the time in the U. S. -- far from the restricted bookish context you impute.

These are not rare, my friend. Certainly they are not historical curiosities. You mean to tell us that in the appointed rounds of your daily life you never hear people say, "You're treading on his toes" or "Tread lightly" or "They are treading a fine line between folly and bravery" or "He's just treading water" ?- That's a damned shame. You are just deprived, Jasper, that's the impression I'm getting. You should visit Virginia, where they've been speaking such proper English since Shakespeare's time---and do so to-day.
Quintus   Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:47 am GMT
"we don't normally say things like 'I trod on a snake' "

Now that is true, Uriel. The American usages are normally figurative, except for "treading water" in its literal meaning and birdwatchers who observe birds "treading" and few others.
Quintus   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:25 am GMT
And just anticipating possible objections :

1. "Treading water" in its most primary definition and essential meaning is swimming or staying afloat in the water to keep upright with the head above the surface while moving one's feet back and forth in a walking motion, hence the treading part, i. e., walking in (not on) the water.

2. The birds' treading can doubtless be viewed in any number of cheeky Nature vids on ScrewTube and the like.
Jasper   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:49 am GMT
"You are just deprived, Jasper, that's the impression I'm getting. You should visit Virginia, where they've been speaking such proper English since Shakespeare's time---and do so to-day."

Quintus, do you speak Virginia Tidewater? I'd love to hear it again.

Anyway, I live in Reno, NV, and I just don't hear the word "tread" very often in conversation. How often would you hear someone speak of "treading water", anyway, in a desert? ;)
LOL!   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:50 am GMT
<<Anyway, I live in Reno, NV, and I just don't hear the word "tread" very often in conversation. How often would you hear someone speak of "treading water", anyway, in a desert? ;) >>

LOL!

That's the worst excuse ever! So, say you live in the safest town in the world, does that mean "murder" is not part of your dialect just because people don't get murdered there?
Damian in Anglesey   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am GMT
Naturally I am not qualified to comment on the use of the word "tread" and its variations in the United States, nor can I recall any occasion when I've heard it used by any of the Americans I have met here in the UK, but they certainly use it in that part of England which can be considered to be the closest to the USA geographically give or take about 3,000 miles or so of choppy Atlantic waters.......Cornwall, or to be more precise in this instance.....the famous town of Penzance, right down in the very toe of England jutting out into the ocean with rocky coves and bays on either side which were once the lairs of such piracy and illegal dealing in contraband in far off days of yore in Merrie England...

They may not have pirates down there any more but I would guess they do have their share of cat burglars who may or may not yell out.....

"With cat like tread
Upon our prey we steal,
In silence dread
Our cautious way we feel -
No sound at all!
We never speak a word!
A fly's foot fall
Would literally be heard!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Wj2yMuTIU&feature=related
Quintus   Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 pm GMT
Jasper, I'm glad to see you have a good sense of humour (much needed in some of these threads, especially where the pathologically literal-minded are prowling !).

Well, you can tread water in a Reno swimming pool, can't you ?- But most often, no matter where we live, that phrase "treading water" is used figuratively : in that case, it means someone is marking time and just maintaining a position with minimal effort (as in a job or a class in school).

And back to the parlance of birdwatching : the cocks tread the hens in Reno as well, I have no doubt.
Jasper   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 pm GMT
^ Quintus, it was good that you caught the fact that a joke was made; apparently, the gentleman who called himself "LOL!" missed the emoticon at the end of the sentence suggesting a wink. ("LOL!", if you're reading this, an emoticon is a smiley-face made with characters on a keyboard, compiled in such a way as to suggest emotion.)

In all seriousness, however, I personally just don't hear the verb very much in casual conversation, and ceertainly not to the extent you'd hear it in the UK, where apparently it is a common word.

We must keep our sense of perspective when dealing with these issues.
Quintus   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:11 pm GMT
Well, to be fair, I think "LOL!" did all right for humour. I mean, he (or she) did manage to laugh out loud, after all.

It was not to "LOL!" I was referring (nor to this particular thread, necessarily) when I mentioned those who are afflicted with pathological literal-mindedness.
ellachan91   Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:47 am GMT
Jasper   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 am GMT
Quintus:

"Humour"?

You're busted, buddy. Your spelling of "humour" gives you away as a son of Old Blighty. (BTW, I love that term.)
Quintus   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:50 am GMT
Fuck you Jasper, nobody gives a fuck what you like.
Jasper   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 am GMT
↑ Thanks for the invitation, but I'd really rather not—I prefer the ladies. Don't think I don't appreciate the thought, though.
Quintus   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 am GMT
Sorry, Jasper, that F-you message was sent by a fake "Quintus" -certainly not by me. It's very easy for some bored fraud to just type in a name and trip up the discussion.

I'm not from Old Blighty - raised in Dublin, in fact, though as a child I did live in Surrey in England, and Newfoundland.

Please note that some of those British spellings can be Canadian as well.