Chav

Liz   Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
Guest,
if so, he is a scally not a chav :-)))
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:05 pm GMT
Devvo is on E4. Prolly gets paid a good whack and still claims Government benefits! If he gets paid a quid every time he uses every grammatical combination of "fuck" then he can afford a pad on the Costas.

He really has a typical Leeds accent, and notorious is a really appropriate adjective to use for the ned. He and his mate were so casual when they considered breaking into cars to nick laptops or whatever, and he's making a "career" out of neddism (that's chavism in England). Makes you pig sick that these scumbags live off the backs of hardworking UK taxpayers by scrounging benefits and allowances from a stupidly munificent UK Government, and working the whole system down to every dodge and loophole! :-(
Liz   Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:53 pm GMT
Devvo's incredible!
I was shocked when I first saw his recordings. I still can't beleive he's real...A person with such a "wide" range of vocabulary... I'm inclined to think that he's only acting it out... Yes, yes, he's a scally, but that's too much for me, and even for a scally, too!!!

IS HE FOR REAL OR JUST A FICTIONAL CHARACTER???

Yes, Damian, he has a typical Leeds accent, but a rather inarticulate version of Leeds accent. Furthermore, you can't hear the accent itself, since he keeps using one single word (you know which one I'm talking about) and its grammatical combinations all the time. I'm afraid this single word is not enough to identify the characteristic features of a particular (in this case Leeds) accent. However, this word has a vowel that is pronounced by northerners in a different way from southerners. The other words are totally blurred. Although I'm quite accustomed to Northern English dialects, sometimes I couldn't make out what he was trying to say...
karley   Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:50 pm GMT
me and my friends take the mick out of they way chavs talk everyday.
our fav's are :

'innnnnnit and thaaaaat mateeeee'
'wot the fuuuck are you looking aaat!'
'Bangin and that'
'innit'
' bum us a joint'
' u fuckin' wat dickhead'
' buzzing and thaat!'
'DO ONE!'
' Ya a pill-hed!
'You fuckin' startin'?!"
'Gotta spare cig?'
whodya think your'e lookin at? Ah'll batter ya, y' fuckin' div!
'what you lookin' at grebo!'
'woz dumpin me load into one ov me bitches'

....ergh they get worse.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
Neddism /Chavism.

A grotty and dire infection on the face of the British social fabric.
Liz   Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:04 pm GMT
Have you heard (I'm sure you have) that an MP (fortunately, I can't remember his name at the moment) claimed that he was a chav?

This society seems to be seriously problematic ... :-((
Guest   Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
It gets worse.
Out side England most people don´t see it as a "chav" fad but as English culture.( Non-English speaking countries)
This means that England to certain degree gains a bad rep.
Liz   Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:05 pm GMT
<<Out side England most people don´t see it as a "chav" fad but as English culture.( Non-English speaking countries) >>

I hope not everyone, but you're right. It's a kind of "epidemic", a fashion in the worst sense. Many youngsters who come (I'd rather say go since I'm not living there currently) to the UK think it's THE English culture.

I have an acquintance who went to England and got into bad company (the so-called chavs). Then she came back and started to act and dress like a chavette. She has always been a shy but impressionable kind of person. This drastic change in personality surprised everyone around her. I wasn't really surprised, knowing her impressionable nature. As opposed to me, others had seen only a shy, decent, modest girl before, and they didn't (and still don't) understand how and why it has happened to her. She has, of course, changed her friends, her clothes and started to change her partners just like it was going out of fashion.

I don't want you to get bored by my story, so I stop telling it. I think this is enough to illustrate this (not very) new phenomenon spreading outside the UK, too.

I have another thing in mind: what makes a chav a chav. Not the clothing for sure. Clothing is one thing, of course. A very important thing, though. We can easily spot a chav(ette) by his/her clothing (tracksuits, blig-bling jewellery etc.). But I think clothing is not a problem. Everyone has the right to wear clothes he/she likes to wear. People shouldn't be condemned or stigmatised for being dressed like a chav. But chav is a relatively pejorative term, and, in my opinion, DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOUR makes a chav a chav (in the pejorative sense), and that's the reason why they are condemned by most decent people in the UK and outside the UK (although I think this term is not yet common outside the UK). Most chavs are drunk and disorderly and keep insulting ordinary and "innocent" passers-by everywhere they are. And what's more, they are proud of it. Most of them doesn't work and live on state benefits. They are the shame of the working class. I'm quite tired of definitions of chav starting like this: "Chavs are working class people..." I would say they are NOT working class people for the simple reason that they are not working!!!

So, the only thing I can tell some MPs and other people who are trying too hard to defend the so-called chavs (like Julie Burchill, for instance, who is famous for saying that "people envy chavs because they know how to feel good", or something like that) that they should think before they start talking about issues they get downright wrong. No sensible people would attack or condemn honest, hard working labourers. They are integral part of the society and should be looked up to if they live in a society and not outside and against it (like chavs). CHAVS ARE NOT IDENTICAL WITH THE WORKING CLASS ITSELF!!!

Sorry for writing too long.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
Thanks for that Liz.

If I were to post about the social reasons for neddism/chavism then my post would be a whole lot longer than yours! It seems to be a sort of social malaise peculiar to the UK but maybe that's not entirely true.

To keep this remotely Language related, Devvo's Language (not his accent...his obscenities) is typical. The grotty thing about it, is that this creep has been made into some sort of cult figure.

At least it's true that they are very much the minority, and minorities always get the publicity while the decent vast majority remain unremarked upon as they go about their work providing the money which this (***!!!BLEEP!!!***) Government in turn doles out to these scrounging scumbags.
Liz   Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 pm GMT
>>The grotty thing about it, is that this creep has been made into some sort of cult figure.<<

It's sad that the more stupid a person is, the more likely he is to become a celebrity. There are several examples of this "I'm-nobody-but-I-wanna-be-somebody-by-doing-nothing" phenomenon all over the world. (I don't know why the name Paris Hilton came into mind... She will certainly sue me if she realises that I'm insulting her in public. :-() Just like some pop singers who can't sing but have a good PR manager :-).

Someone mentioned a link at this forum once (www.chavworld.co.uk). I was curious about what kind of website chavs could make (or rather could be made for chavs) and looked into their forum. I was a bit shocked by their "highly elevated" and "morally impeccable" conversations. My favourite topic: "Have you ever been arrested" ?(I think it was formulated like that: "Ever been arrested ?") I was very much interested in the answers and I could more or less anticipate them. The most surprising (no, not that surprising) were these ones: "Five times. No big deal." and "Everyone in my family has been arrested except for me."

No comment... :-(
anon   Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:45 pm GMT
chavs r mint m8, better thn all those fukin goths n moshers. fukin bellends. wots so bad bout chavs, the lasses r so fit n the lads r mint m8ts. n were all hard as fuk.
Adam   Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
"Out side England most people don´t see it as a "chav" fad but as English culture.( Non-English speaking countries)
This means that England to certain degree gains a bad rep. "

It's not only England that has Chavs. The whole of the UK does. In Scotland, I think they are known as Neds.

And most Chavs are decent people. People are Chavs usually by the way they dress - Burberry clothes and Burberry baseball caps, with large loop earring and pearly white trainers. But that doesn't mean most of them behave badly.

This is just another example of a type of youth culture that is unique to Britain that Britain has been created for the last few decades - Britain in the 1950s had the Teddy Boys, in the 1970s it had Punks, in the 1980s it had he New Romantics and now in the 2000s it has the Chavs,
Jack   Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:20 am GMT
Wow, Adam, that's something to be really proud of.
Liz   Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:21 pm GMT
<<And most Chavs are decent people.>>

They are not real chavs, just some middle class prats copying everything they see in the media, trying to be "cool" (oh, I bloody hate that word because it's ever so overused...), faking a Cockney (rather Mockney) accent, 'cos street cred is the most important thing, as you see.

Real chavs ARE disruptive. I think it's stupid to emulate their style and behaviour, and become a lout just because it's trendy now. I'm not talking about clothes, right? It's a lifestyle.

BTW, I couldn't care less what those copy cats do. They can do it, if they feel like it.
Peter   Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am GMT
Adam, thanks for your post, it is very interesting.