Italian? Spanish?or Portuguese?

kruG   Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 pm GMT
Only English and Portuguese are official in 5 continents.

How's that for "spoken in one country" Byte!?

Geez...
kruG   Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:01 pm GMT
Portuguese people have not made any contribution to Humanity.
Ren   Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 am GMT
The Portuguese people have done nothing? You should go back to the history books before saying nonsense like that.
kruG   Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:32 am GMT
Which book, one wrote by a Portuguese maybe? Tell me how many nobel prizes in science Portugal has.
Terabyte   Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am GMT
"Only English and Portuguese are official in 5 continents"

That is not true. Portuguese is not official in Oceania. In Asia, Portuguese is official in Macau and Timor, but only spoken in both by less than 100,000 people. Spanish is spoken by over 3 million people in Philippines and French by 400,000 in Vietnam.

Byte explains the Continents where AT LEAST 50 MILLION PEOPLE SPEAK THE LANGUAGE, and it is correct:

1. English: spoken in North America, Europe, Africa and Asia-Pacific. 4 Continents

2. Spanish: spoken in North America, Europe and South America. 3 Continents.

3. French: 2 Continents. Africa and Europe (in other Continents less than 50 million people speak it)

4. Portuguese: 1 Continent. South America (in other Continents Portuguese is a minority).
Matematik   Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:41 am GMT
<<2. Spanish: spoken in North America, Europe and South America. 3 Continents. >>

As far as I'm aware, spain as a population of about 45,000,000, so actually Spanish is spoken only across two continents by the contraints of the method you're using.

Apprently, 44 million people in the US can speak Spanish, so nor can North America be included in your table.

So by your standards, like Portuguese, Spanish is spoken only in one contnent.
Franco   Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 am GMT
Matematik, did you study Geography ever?

Mexico is located in North America so Spanish has more than 50 millions of speakers in 2 continents: South America and North America. 3 if you consider Central America another continent. Spain has 46 millions, in few years population probably will increase to more than 50, whereas Portugal is only 1/5 of Spanish population. Portugal also has more than 50 millions of speakers in Africa if I recall, but Africa is too poor.
Terabyte   Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 am GMT
Matematik, you are wrong.

According to the US Census there are 45 million of Hispanics legally in USA. There are another 10 million of Hispanics illegaly. Finally, there are some 6-10 million of students of Spanish in USA. So, some 61-65 million speak Spanish in North America.

Spain has a population of some 47 million people in 2010. According to the European Union, a 15% of Europeans speak Spanish. So, some 70 million speak Spanish, adding secondary speakers.

So, I confirm that Spanish is spoken in 3 continents by over 50 million people in each one.
Megabyte   Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm GMT
<< 3. French: 2 Continents. Africa and Europe (in other Continents less than 50 million people speak it) >>

3. French: 5 Continents. North and South America, Africa, Europe, Pacific
kruG (the real)   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:49 pm GMT
The last 2 posts obviously weren't mine.

«Portuguese people have not made any contribution to Humanity.»

I could be here hours telling you what they've done for the sake of Humanity, unlike other bastards whose only objective was going after the Portuguese no matter what, but this one "contribution" will do it.

Portugal is the father of Globalization.

«Which book, one wrote by a Portuguese maybe? Tell me how many nobel prizes in science Portugal has. »

LOL dude this doesn't even deserves any answer, it only shows how dumb your are. Talking shit about a country and knowing nothing of it.
Franco   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:59 pm GMT
Portugal created global slave trade. They recruited slaves from Portuguese dominions in Africa and shipped them to Americas. I don't know if this is a contribution though. I think that Brazil or USA would be more lovely without black people.
kruG (the real)   Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:05 pm GMT
«That is not true. Portuguese is not official in Oceania.»

"East Timor is often reckoned as a part of Oceania due to its location to the east of the Wallace Line and its cultural ties to Pacific peoples."

Byte get over it, it's official in 5 continents.

«Spanish: spoken in North America, Europe and South America. 3 Continents.»

North America and South America 2 continents, LOL!
In that case Portuguese would be official in 6 continents, 2 islands of the Azores are in the North American plate. You didn't know that did you..

Alright then, Spanish in 3 continents and Portuguese in 6 continents :)
Ren   Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:28 pm GMT
Tectonic plates do not exactly match geographic entities. Sicily belongs to the African plate despite it is an island of Europe. Azores belong to Europe for all purposes, nobody includes these islands in North America. You are so desperate to inflate numbers that now Azores is North America. Yeah, and Portugal is Central Europe then. Also half of Iceland is part of the North American plate too but nobody would say Iceland is in North America. So don't be naive. Spanish is much more global than Portuguese , it is a language of U.N. whereas Portuguese isn't. Also Portuguese does not have significant secondary speakers, for example the percentage of Europeans who study Portuguese is 0% according to Eurostat.
franky   Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:53 pm GMT
It's funny how some people like to criticize other forms of Spanish like that used in Mexico and Latin America as not being fully "correct" like Iberian Castillian, while at the same time taking pride that all these hundreds of millions of people (mostly outside of Spain) are still speaking "Spanish" when its convenient to do so with statistics.
Franco   Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:58 pm GMT
In reality Spaniards do not critizise Spanish in America for being incorrect, but critizise their speakers for being narcos and lazy people who give bad image to Spanish. It is usually the other way around, "hispanics" always make fun of the way spaniards speak, like pronunciation of Z or "vosotros". They call it an "archaism". Poor souls.