Native English speakers ridiculed?

Matematik   Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 pm GMT
<<Methinks >>

I really hope you're not a native English speaker, and even if you're not I seriously doubt your capability.
Irony   Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:26 am GMT
The old 'you are just jealous that you can't learn any new languages' argument is boring and holds no real truth.

Everyone is capable of learning more than one language.

It is simply a matter of how much you want to.

I am currently living in China and am therefore expected to learn Chinese however I have no desire whatsoever to do so.
The only 'advantage' to learning Chinese would be the opportunity to speak to Chinese people, but if I'm going to go through all the hard work of learning a new language then I might as well learn one I actually intend to use at some point.
Franco   Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 pm GMT
<<I am currently living in China>>

Do you like dog meat and other Chinese delicatessen?.
Irony   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 pm GMT
No, eating dog is barbaric.

Besides, I have had far more pleasant conversations with dogs than I have ever managed with the Chinese.
Franco   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:50 pm GMT
<< No, eating dog is barbaric.

>>

Eurocentrism at its best. Maybe Indians think that eating cows is barbaric as well.
Matematik   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:04 pm GMT
<<Maybe Indians think that eating cows is barbaric as well. >>

A dogs affection towards its owner is incomparable to that of a cow. Europeans love dogs because of the genuinely love and companionship they find in them, Indians love cows because various religious scriptures tell them to - the cow could have been a rabbit or a frog.
Franco   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:19 pm GMT
Yeah but the Chinese don't raise dogs as domestic animals, so for them a dog is like a cow for us, just a piece of meat. Anyways dogs are not the only animals that can profess love for their masters, also domestic rabbits , pigs, and many others. I would say that even a cow would if it was raised as a pet.
Penetra   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm GMT
I do agree with Franco. English speakers are so naive when judgin other cultures. That's due to their limited intellect and simplistic way of thinking.
fraz   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:42 pm GMT
Native English speakers get a lot of criticism for not learning other languages but it's not their fault that English became the world language.

Wherever one language dominates an area, then speakers of that language will not generally be crazy about learning lesser tongues.
Irony   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:44 pm GMT
The Chinese do keep dogs as pets you fucking retard.

And the idea that Asian countries are less judgemental of others is fucking laughable.

Its painfully obvious you have never travelled.
Franco   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 pm GMT
<<The Chinese do keep dogs as pets you fucking retard. >>

Don't get angry. The Chinese didn't use dogs as pets, read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_ancient_China

And if they do nowadays, it is due to Western Influence. Obviously their millenary traditions are still more important for them than foreign fashions and they deserve respect. Maybe in the Western World we will adopt eating dog meat too, it's just a question of breaking down prejudices and being open-minded.
Irony   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:08 pm GMT
The same level of open-mindedness adopted by the chinese themselves, perhaps?

So all traditions are worthy of respect? all of them?
Lol   Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:36 pm GMT
It is indeed Eurocentric, however the same attitudes exist within Europe towards each other as well. The British don't agree with the French eating horsemeat either.
Franco   Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm GMT
The English should care less of what other people eat and start caring of what they eat because English food is worst on Earth.
Lol   Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 pm GMT
>>The English should care less of what other people eat and start caring of what they eat because English food is worst on Earth.<<

Nah, there's nowt wrong with a good roast dinner! Not roast dog or roast horse mind you ;)