English teachers should be native English speakers

danny in russia   Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:09 pm GMT
I do sound very American in terms of pronouncing isolated words correctly by the standards of American English, or when reciting/reading a text off paper but that is not the same thing as being good at actual speaking. Overall my English is deplorable because in real-life situations I always find myself stumped for words, I never know how to say things, I keep thinking how an American would say this or that and end up not saying anything at all because I'd rather keep my mouth shut than say something stupid like e.g. "At our today's lesson..." (this is what ALL russian English teachers say at the beginning of class and I don't even know how to say it in proper English)
Another Guest   Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:05 am GMT
N.
<<So that's what should be done. But I doubt it won't. >>
You mean "I doubt it will". Or "I suspect it won't".

you got owned
<<This makes no sense whatsoever. Those spelling mistakes are most commonly made by native speakers, but native speakers have "perfect" native sounding pronunciation by definition. So, if a non-native wants to get a native accent, he needs to pronounce "then" the same as "than" (at the right times). So having a good accent means you're MORE likely to make that mistake. >>
No, native speakers do not necessarily have perfect pronunciation. Sounding native and speaking perfectly are not the same thing. And even if pronouncing "than" as "then" were correct, that would not mean that one has to pronounce it that way.

danny in russia
<<At our today's lesson..." (this is what ALL russian English teachers say at the beginning of class and I don't even know how to say it in proper English)>>
Probably "During today's lesson", but I would have to know what the intended meaning is. You're certainly right that the original is quite jarring.
you got owned   Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 am GMT
<<No, native speakers do not necessarily have perfect pronunciation. Sounding native and speaking perfectly are not the same thing. And even if pronouncing "than" as "then" were correct, that would not mean that one has to pronounce it that way.>>

Well whatever, but in that case if the foreigner learns "perfect" English, he will still sound out of place because no natives EXCLUSIVELY speak perfect English. They speak perfect English while the microphone is turned on and imperfect native English all the rest of the time. So the non-native ought to know perfect English AND imperfect native English, and when to use which if he wants to sound native ALL the time.

<<"At our today's lesson...">>

If you want to avoid these uncomfortable situations, just KEEP IT SIMPLE. Just say "today we are going to". That sounds most native of all now I think about it.
Clari   Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:38 am GMT
You can go to international school to get educated by native speakers, but you have to pay a lot of money. Nothing is for free. You want something precious, you need to pay for it. No doubt native speakers are much better teachers, but they are not cheap. Not everybody can afford them.
N.   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:40 am GMT
>>>You mean "I doubt it will". Or "I suspect it won't".
Yeah, just a slip. I do those regardless of the language I'm writing in. :P
Can't bother with double-checking what I write, really.

>>>You can go to international school to get educated by native speakers, but you have to pay a lot of money. Nothing is for free. You want something precious, you need to pay for it. No doubt native speakers are much better teachers, but they are not cheap. Not everybody can afford them.

But it shouldn't be that way. Why can't public schools have at least half-decent non-native speakers?
Besides, even for those who can afford private school, if it's not an international one, the situation isn't any better. I went to a (supposedly) prominent turkish private school for 9 years, and -I can tel you dat de teacherrrs stil make much styupid mistakes.- One thing that I find very funny is that in Turkish, when you have two consonants at the beginning of a word, you insert a vowel in the middle of em, to make pronunciation easier I guess. If you think they apply that rule only to Turkish, then you're very wrong. Couldn't keep a straight face when hearing things such as "Gulucose, Tusunami, Pilease, Perotect etc."

The problem is that there is no reason why non-native English teachers shouldn't be able to speak English correctly in the first place. How can you get an English teaching degree based only on grammar, since that seems to be the case considering that I have yet to meet a non-native English teacher who doesn't have a very prominent accent, very limited academic vocabulary, very little fluency in speaking (aka "Mechanical" speaking) and a profound hate of "Americanisms".

Btw, today in Italy there's something "Culture Day". The vast majority of italians call it "Kooltoor dei". Not only it gives me the creeps, but it's a completely ridiculous mistake considering that there is no sound in either word which they cannot pronounce easily. Only my English "teacher" pronounces it correctly, but only when concentrated on her pronunciation, LOL.
you got owned   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:56 am GMT
You just have too high of expectations. Every school in the country has to have a shitload of English teachers so you can't afford to educate them all to a real high standard. It's the same everywhere. It's the same with maths, physics, your native language, etc. School maths teachers only know what they need to teach, they can't remember shit about the proof for the incompleteness theorem. Physics teachers can't remember shit about general relativity or how to manipulate tensors. Native language teachers can't remember shit about all the essays they wrote at university. Similarly, language teachers can't remember shit about the detailed phonetics of the language or the advanced grammar. Most of them only have basic 3 year degrees. Well, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT? FLUENCY? Well WHO THE FUCK IS GOING TO PAY FOR EVERY FUTURE SCHOOL TEACHER TO GET A DOCTORATE DEGREE AND SPEND 5 YEARS OVERSEAS?????? WHO THE FUCK WILL PAY?????
THEY'RE THERE TO TEACH THE BASICS. THAT'S ALL YOU SHOULD EXPECT. I wish every school physics teacher were a Nobel Laureate. But there just aren't enough to go around.

Sure, it would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen.

Yep, you've been owned.
N.   Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:28 am GMT
>>>Every school in the country has to have a shitload of English teachers so you can't afford to educate them all to a real high standard.

That's because they're being too permissive. If they want to teach english they have to get proper training. This means more strictness. Not every half-retarded asshole can be an English teacher.

>>>"School maths teachers only know what they need to teach, they can't remember shit about the proof for the incompleteness theorem."

Oh, but they CAN make calculations, right? It's not like they just have to know the theory and have no fucking idea how to calculate, right?

>>>"Physics teachers can't remember shit about general relativity or how to manipulate tensors."

Oh, but they CAN carry out experiments, right? It's not like they just know the theory and have no fucking idea how to do experiments, right?

>>>"Native language teachers can't remember shit about all the essays they wrote at university"

No, but they should remember how to pronounce what they're teaching. They shouldn't know just the theory (grammar) but also the practice (pronunciation, fluency)

>>>Similarly, language teachers can't remember shit about the detailed phonetics of the language or the advanced grammar.

They don't have to! In fact, I doubt even teachers of their native language do! But they DO need to know the pronunciation properly. It ain't that hard if you practice daily, you know.

>>>Well, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT? FLUENCY? Well WHO THE FUCK IS GOING TO PAY FOR EVERY FUTURE SCHOOL TEACHER TO GET A DOCTORATE DEGREE AND SPEND 5 YEARS OVERSEAS?????? WHO THE FUCK WILL PAY?????

Using the examples you gave before. I know that a lot of Math teachers aren't just interested in the "basics", but they also go to Math conferences, try to learn new formulas etc. Same thing for Physics Teachers. They go to conferences, try to conduct new experiments etc. They don't just settle with the basics. In fact, English teachers are the only ones who do so. Math, Physics, Law, Literature, Biology, Chemistry, History, Geography teachers very often know more than they're supposed to teach. Is that a bad thing? Of course not. You know what's a bad thing? Knowing LESS. And sorry, but having a bad pronunciation IS knowing less.
So, do they even pay English teachers as much as other ones since they are terrible? English isn't "special" or anything, it's a MUST and English teachers should start really working hard or all they're gonna teach is how to find good food in trash cans to the dogs they'll be living with in the streets.

>>>THEY'RE THERE TO TEACH THE BASICS. THAT'S ALL YOU SHOULD EXPECT.

You don't get my point. There's no such thing as "Basics" in pronunciation. There's right, and there's wrong. And they should be teaching right.
Besides, do you still think they should be teaching the basics in High School? How come you gotta learn fuckteenth degree equations in Math, atomic structures in Chemistry, fuck knows what in Physics and just "How to use the Present Perfect" in High School? N-e-g-l-i-g-e-n-c-e!

>>>I wish every school physics teacher were a Nobel Laureate. But there just aren't enough to go around.

Doesn't look like I've been owned.
LOL   Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 am GMT
you got owned   Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am GMT
<<
You don't get my point. There's no such thing as "Basics" in pronunciation. There's right, and there's wrong. And they should be teaching right. >>

It is not easy to pronounce words like a native. It requires more dedication than you can expect to get out of the vast majority of English teachers, no matter how much they want it. Only 1% of learners ever comes close, and not just because they're lazy, but because it is ACTUALLY REALLY FUCKING HARD. So if every teacher is to have native like pronunciation, there will be another 99 who don't make the cut. What will you do with them? Firing squad? Who will teach English if not them?

Yes, physics teachers can calculate, but because it's easy. But correct pronunciation is relatively as difficult for a English teacher as knowing general relativity for a physics teacher. Harder even, I learned general relativity in one year. But many English learners have been trying to get a perfect accent all their lives and still haven't done it. So? What is your expectation?

Yes they should have DECENT pronunciation. But decent is a LONG way from native.

<<That's because they're being too permissive. If they want to teach english they have to get proper training. This means more strictness. Not every half-retarded asshole can be an English teacher. >>

Most people who go into school level teaching are precisely half-retarded assholes. So you're ruling out a big chunk of people. Who's gonna replace them? Smart people like me? Hell no. I hate children. They're too easy to own.

<<English teachers should start really working hard or all they're gonna teach is how to find good food in trash cans to the dogs they'll be living with in the streets. >>

To the contrary. English teachers are in great demand and have a relatively high level of job security. They can get away with doing shit all because there's no one to replace them. They will not end up on the streets. If they do, then NO ONE will replace them and instead of learning shit English you won't be learning English at all. People like me are too smart for that nonsense.

<<How come you gotta learn fuckteenth degree equations in Math, atomic structures in Chemistry, fuck knows what in Physics and just "How to use the Present Perfect" in High School? N-e-g-l-i-g-e-n-c-e! >>

Actually the high school level of mathematics and science is abysmal. The difficulty of what you do in the senior years is relatively no more difficult than the present perfect tense.

Man, I just keep on owning you. This is getting boring, I wish someone would own me for once. I guess my expectations are too high.
N.   Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:06 am GMT
>>>It is not easy to pronounce words like a native. It requires more dedication than you can expect to get out of the vast majority of English teachers, no matter how much they want it. Only 1% of learners ever comes close, and not just because they're lazy, but because it is ACTUALLY REALLY FUCKING HARD.

I'm sorry but that's utter bullshit. It's NOT that hard. The only hard part are sounds and consonants that are not present in their native language. Once that is behind them, there's absolutely nothing more than studying. And if students are being better than teachers just by using the web, watching movies etc. then something's wrong.

>>>So if every teacher is to have native like pronunciation, there will be another 99 who don't make the cut. What will you do with them? Firing squad? Who will teach English if not them?

This is mad. English teachers are not even trying because they know no one cares. And they don't have to have a PERFECT pronunciation, it's enough to have a slightly-accented one. But not heavy, conspicuous accents like they have right now.

>>>Yes, physics teachers can calculate, but because it's easy. But correct pronunciation is relatively as difficult for a English teacher as knowing general relativity for a physics teacher. Harder even, I learned general relativity in one year. But many English learners have been trying to get a perfect accent all their lives and still haven't done it. So? What is your expectation?

I'm sorry, but trying all your life to get a near-native accent and failing just means that you're not an apt English teacher. That's it. It's not that hard, really.

>>Yes they should have DECENT pronunciation. But decent is a LONG way from native.

If by decent you mean just slightly accented, yes. I just think that they shouldn't be teaching students wrong pronunciations.

>>>Most people who go into school level teaching are precisely half-retarded assholes. So you're ruling out a big chunk of people. Who's gonna replace them? Smart people like me? Hell no. I hate children.

Yet for some reason a half-retarded say, biology teacher will teach biology better than a half-retarded English teacher. Which is bad.

>>>They're too easy to own.

Hahahaha, man you're obsessed.

>>>To the contrary. English teachers are in great demand and have a relatively high level of job security. They can get away with doing shit all because there's no one to replace them. They will not end up on the streets. If they do, then NO ONE will replace them and instead of learning shit English you won't be learning English at all. People like me are too smart for that nonsense.

That's the problem. They're given too much lenience. And come on, let's be realistic, if their job was really at stake, they would start getting down to it. I mean their the teachers who teach their subject worse than any other!

>>>Actually the high school level of mathematics and science is abysmal. The difficulty of what you do in the senior years is relatively no more difficult than the present perfect tense.

Depends on what you mean by abysmal. If we consider the actual relevance of what they teach in real life (of course if don't become a mathematician or physician or what have you), it's quite high.
Whereas for English? If I got an average French, Spanish, Italian, Greek or whatever to speak English, their English level would be terrible, and if they ever went to a native English-speaking country, they probably would be very limited when it comes to expressing themselves.

>>>Man, I just keep on owning you. This is getting boring, I wish someone would own me for once. I guess my expectations are too high.

Sorry, can't help it. You're a tough Pwner, I'm just a n00b.
danny in russia   Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:44 am GMT
@ AG, YGO, thanks. 'Today we're going to' really sounds simple and nice, I've no idea how I never thought about it before :/

I'll be attending free English classes at a local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints starting next week. Mormons kind of scare me, but they're the only Americans in town so... hopefully I don't get converted, lol.
H   Sat May 01, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
Hi,
<No doubt native speakers are much better teachers, but they are not cheap.>
Not necessarily. Being a native speaker doesn't automatically make you a good teacher.

Moreover, I think a teacher whose native language is the same as his pupils' is better (provided that he knows his subject perfectly, sure enough) - he's got his own experience of learning, he knows the pitfalls etc.
What are most native speakers good for - they let you practice, but quite often they are unable to explain many things, you just hear the reasoning "Because we say/don't say so".
H   Sun May 02, 2010 1:42 am GMT
Yes, I find that somebody who can't speak a language correctly is far better at teaching it than somebody who can.
And no, I'm not a bitter nationalist. Honestly.
H   Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 am GMT
The May 02, 2010 1:42 am GMT stupid post was not mine.
N.   Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 am GMT
>>>Moreover, I think a teacher whose native language is the same as his pupils' is better (provided that he knows his subject perfectly, sure enough) - he's got his own experience of learning, he knows the pitfalls etc.

The point is that they have their own pitfalls in pronunciation, and therefore cannot teach the correct one to their students.

>>>What are most native speakers good for - they let you practice, but quite often they are unable to explain many things, you just hear the reasoning "Because we say/don't say so".

Native speakers should be introduced when the students already have an acceptable vocabulary, so that they can easily communicate in English-English and understand each other.