Should minority languages be exterminated?

Baldewin   Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
*politician
*elected

These are typos. ;-) But heck, I understand the besmirching campaign: the end of Belgium is indeed near.
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 6:47 pm GMT
France will annex Flanders then.
Baldewin   Mon May 10, 2010 6:50 pm GMT
How would my department be called? Last time we were French Antwerp belonged to le département des Deux Nèthes; but current departements are bigger.
In times of crises it's possible, but a chance of Flanders becoming Dutch also exists (which is the best scenario).
Don Chicho   Mon May 10, 2010 8:28 pm GMT
">I don't think the smaller states the richer. That was true in the Middle Ages, but not nowadays in a context of global capitalism. Small country means small market and no possiblity to create big companies that are competitive abroad. US has so many multinationals because it is a big market of 300 millions. <"

Switzerland, Singapore and Costa Rica are wealthy and educated countries. In Switzerland three languages are the official languages, no language discord. In Singapore there is universal health care. In Costa Rica the majority of the masses have B.A. degrees. etc.

In addition many European languages/ethinic groups want to become independent from the bulk for this very same reason, join the E.U and use potential resources as leverage. Scotland is a good example with its natural gas.
I Hate The Fuckers   Mon May 10, 2010 8:56 pm GMT
I hope the Flems, Gemans and Luxembourgers are reunited with their annex lands which got annexed into France and Wallonia.
Advisor   Mon May 10, 2010 9:38 pm GMT
A lot of "people" (EU fans) in Europe have the attitude that the since the European Union is here now (LOL), these subnational borders don't matter any more. They think that Catalonia should be independent just because in Europe borders don't matter.

However, I would advise against such frivolities. Otherwise you will have a bunch of problems when the EU collapses. Khrushchev and Stalin made that mistake and it meant lots of headaches later.
Baldewin   Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm GMT
Sadly, the 19th century borders are very fragile nowadays. Also, now it has become harder to wipes out minorities it puts a new perspective into play. Francophone Belgians are very when it comes to influencing linguistic influence in what many believe to become future state borders (in the post only the high bourgeoisie and the nobility ruled, and they could impose languages easier; now it's the people who decide on the linguae francae).
I also notice an aggressive campaign against the Dutchification of Brussels, something most Flemings even see as something that could never happen.

Furthermore, I have read an article about the 'forgotten community' of Belgium, the German-speaking community. In there most German-speaking Belgians let us know that they like Belgium, because it offers more freedom than Germany (in Germany you have mandatory military service, and less chance of getting a decent job). People don't really answer where they want to belong to if Belgium would cease to exist, but they don't want to become German unless they cannot choose. The major of Eupen even explained that most German-speaking Belgians would, if they were forced to choose, join Flanders or Luxembourg in the South. The minister-president of the German-speaking community is a big proponent of a separate German-speaking federated state, loose from the Walloon region (to which they officially belong). Also, more and more German-speaking Belgians refuse to speak French, because they're sick of monoglots trying to expand their language zone, even though many are willing to speak any language.
These are the most loyal Belgians of them all, more than Flemish or Walloons we're talking about.

The current borders are shite nonetheless, but Flemish are stoic enough to accept them. Problem lies within some Francophone who think their language is the most important in the world, even outside their region. Even though Flemish (at the height 500,000) were assimilated into the Walloon region and French language. Common decency of learning the regions language and accepting its dominance brings you VERY far.
The weakness of the EU remain - we have to admit - in the outdated borders. I'm not sure why Catalans or others don't want to be Spanish (perhaps it's recent history), but if forced to be either French, German or English I would least like to end up French. Flemish have more in common with the latter two (more with German than with English, which influence us the most though).
If you look at Youtube and watch British comedy clips, you'll see that Dutch and Flemish are relatively familiar with it. If you watch French artists, you'll only notice Walloon and French attention, but no Dutch or Flemish.
Catalans, though brutally being marginalized in the not-so-distant past, still see Spanish as an interesting medium to communicate to many people and are uprightly interested in Castillian-speaking culture.
Paul   Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 pm GMT
<<It should be left to the free will of their speakers,
Both in Spain (autonomic regions) and France (central government), authorities are imposing a language against the natural flow of social trends. >>

Exactly.

I'm against suppressing minority languages as much as I am against artificially keeping them alive through enforcement.

Dieing languages should be allowed to die.
Franco   Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 pm GMT
Catalans were not marginalised in the past, their language simply had no official status, like in France where Catalan is not recognised as well, or like Spanish in USA. Nowadays it's the opposite situation, Spanish has not official status in many official institutions in Catalonia, and this is much worse because Catalan is the language of a minority but Spanish is the language of most of Catalans. If not recognising the language of a minority can be considered wrong, imagine about making the language of most of people not official. Spanish is in theory official but in practice it isn't because native Spanish speaking Catalans have to use Catalan as means of instruction in schools. Spanish is studied as a foreign language like English, or maybe even less. Catalonia is the only region in Europe where the language of majority of people has less rights than a minority language.
Thor   Tue May 11, 2010 5:35 pm GMT
"I also notice an aggressive campaign against the Dutchification of Brussels"

I heard that it was the contrary (a growing frenchification of the suburbs of Brussels), with a defensive attitude of the flemish speakers.

What is ironic is that the Flemish demand a separation of the walloons with linguistic reasons, but in the same time, they refuse to leave the territory of brussels which is french-speaking as 80 %. Without this paradoxe, Belgium wouldn't exist anymore.
Baldewin   Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 pm GMT
I know. But seriously, there are also Brusselers who are genuinely affraid of a Dutchification. I don't see this happening. Frenchification is a fact however.

And our language is Dutch, not Flemish you Verlan-speaker. ;-)
Baldewin   Tue May 11, 2010 5:58 pm GMT
Anyway, the Frencification was until now only possible due to agressive behaviour, but everyday Francophone media say more and more ridiculous and extremist stuff (which is mainstream) almost like Radio Mille Collines did in Ruanda (pure hate speech, while Flemish media is relatively nuanced). You better worry one person wouldn't take the hate speech a little too serious. I have read some Francophone mentioning Flemish 'provoke a civil war'. They admit Francophones would draw first blood, and that's scary to be honest.
No such hatred exists in Flanders (except among extremists who are they themselves marginalized)!

By the way, Flemish don't explicitly ask for a separation (also, the Brussels Capitalized Region is created on the demand of Francophones, so is the federal state, because they didn't want a one-man-one-vote unitary Belgium and wanted Wallonia Francophone and Flanders bilingual and were scared of the many Flemings living in the South). In fact, until late in history there used to be a big fraction of Walloons wanting to blow up Belgium, and I can't believe they suddenly disappeared. They only see Belgium as temporarily useful.
Thor   Tue May 11, 2010 6:06 pm GMT
And what is "verlan-speaker" ?

You are talking about intentions. But you can be sure that Walloons would say the same things about you. Why should we believe one or another ?
I prefer facts : you can't deny that Flemish want to keep Brussels. If Flemish would want to stay between Flemish, they would have leave Brussels and Belgium since a long time.
Baldewin   Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm GMT
Flemish who released Brussels are the majority. Keep in mind that until recently many spoke Dutch there, and Flemings don't just keep their community alone (the Dutch-speaking were there before you see?). Who says 'the Flemish' are 'the ones wanting to blow up Belgium'? Even most Flemings don't want to leave Belgium. A chance exists Francophone blow up Belgium as well, especially if they'd lose their parity rights. I'm sure of that.
Besides, if Flemings give up Brussels that region would be an enclave within Flanders. Francophones think Flemish would give away everything, but I fear that won't happen that easily.
Thor   Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm GMT
The problematic is a present one and not a past one. And you know that with History, everyone can demand any region with a lot of pretexts. Today, the flemish don't want anymore to live with walloons, since it wasn't a problem a century ago when a lot of flemish had immigrated in Wallony or in France to find work. And an enclave wouldn't be such a problem in modern Europe, we are not in war.