Will Dutch ever die out?

???   Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 pm GMT
<<Up the Flems and English! >>

Ironically, as an English person you're probably closer to the French than you are the Flemish and Germanic types. The English and French are very similar, and the English would still be Catholic like the French if it wasn't for Henry the 8th. But still, the Church of England is far from a Protestant church, I look at it as like a reformed Catholic church.
Franco   Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:01 pm GMT
if it's just a question of religion then the Flemish are closer to the Walloons than to the English (protestants) or the French (atheists).
opinion   Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:19 pm GMT
<<Ironically, as an English person you're probably closer to the French than you are the Flemish and Germanic types. The English and French are very similar, and the English would still be Catholic like the French if it wasn't for Henry the 8th. But still, the Church of England is far from a Protestant church, I look at it as like a reformed Catholic church>>

Stupid opinion.English have nothing in common with French ( Normandy,Alsace and France Flanders is exception)
<<if it's just a question of religion then the Flemish are closer to the Walloons than to the English (protestants) or the French (atheists). >>

Stupid opinion. Germans are lutherans,catholics,evangelics. So Flemish are close to catholics German.
opinion   Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:23 pm GMT
Bart De Wever will prevent it.
DutchCampOwnerFrance   Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 pm GMT
England is probably the most protestant nation on earth and has fuck all to do with catholic France apart from those Germanic lands annexed from the Flemish, German speakers + Normandy. I have witnessed so many times how young groups of Dutch and English holidayers in France get long and blend in with one another compared to the local French youngsters.
.   Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm GMT
<<Ironically, as an English person you're probably closer to the French than you are the Flemish and Germanic types. The English and French are very similar, and the English would still be Catholic like the French if it wasn't for Henry the 8th. But still, the Church of England is far from a Protestant church, I look at it as like a reformed Catholic church. >>

I agree, stupid opinion.
France was almost a protestant nation a hundred years ago, until all the protestants were burned at the stake!
Oslo Bulldyke   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:11 pm GMT
French don't make good Protestants, too lazy.
???   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:57 pm GMT
English simply aren't Protestants. The Church of England is considered to be under the Catholic branch. The English may not be ROMAN Catholics, but they are Catholics of a kind. It's rediculous to call England a full-up Protestant nation.

I never said England was completely like France, but England has more in common with France than it does with the Germanics, and I stand by that opinion. The English language is far more like French than it is any Germanic tongue.
dimitriy b.   Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:10 am GMT
<<I never said England was completely like France, but England has more in common with France than it does with the Germanics, and I stand by that opinion. The English language is far more like French than it is any Germanic tongue. >>

No no no, my friend

NO

Where on earth did you get such thinking?
You must
1). Know nothing about England and English language and culture
2). Not know anything really about France and French language, except what you read in the books
and
3). You know nothing about Germanics

Germanic and French and English are all pretty much the same. Maybe that's why you get confused. England and Netherlans and Denmark, they are all the same my friend.

France is a latin country but close enough to them too, somewhere in between. it depends on where you go in France.
yes   Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:51 am GMT
By some twist of fate, most influential Englishmen are Roman Catholics (JRR Tolkien, the Beatles, Tony Blair) and French Calvinists have shaped modern France from 1789 on.
opinion   Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:27 am GMT
English and French mentality is quite different.It's considered bad style to swagger about something in Britain,but not in France.
???   Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 am GMT
<<England and Netherlans and Denmark, they are all the same my friend.>>

No they're not. Britain has been far more French (Norman) influenced than the Netherlands or Denmark has. This is evident in the language. The English language is far more like French in both structure and vocabulary than it is any Germanic tongue.

As for France being a Latin nation, South France maybe, but you'd have a job to call Northern France a Latin nation. England and Northern France are very similar, more similar than to Denmark or Netherlands.
???   Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am GMT
<<to swagger about something >>

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the English are very arrogant, swaggering people. I'd say you're average Englishman has more arrogant self-confidence than your average Dane or Dutch.