Which are the 3 most important languages?

Me   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:04 pm GMT
Hi, I would like to study English (medium level) and two other languages

There are a group of international languages and I don't know which one to study: French, Spanish, Chinese, German, Arabic and Russian.

I am from European Union. Thanks.
we   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:09 pm GMT
The 3 most important languages are English, Chinese and Spanish.

In Europe, English, German and French, but you are also in the World.
Jordan   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 pm GMT
The three most important languages to learn would have to be English, Spanish, and French.

Let's face it, no one wants or needs to learn Chinese.

If you come into contact with the Chinese; they're most likely going to speak English.

Why go through all the stress of learning Chinese characters if it's not neccesary?

English of course is important because it's the world language.

Spanish is the world's second most spoken language, it's spoken widely around the world, and it's easy to learn, so why not?

French is a beautiful and useful language to learn. Not only will you enjoy learning it, but you'll find yourself using it more than you think.
we   Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:59 am GMT
The 3 most important languages are English, Russian and French.

In Europe, English, Russian , German, and French, but you are also in the World.
papanych   Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:11 am GMT
Nobody needs Spanish outside of the Americas, stop spreading lies. Unless someone has a unique interest in the Spanish-speaking world, there are always much better choices. German and French, for once, or an Asian tongue, if one is particularly intrepid.
papanych   Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:18 am GMT
Even in South America Spanish isn't always the most obvious choice. Brazil is the only country there that might be destined to have some future, were I to choose, I would select Portuguese as my language of study.
Mike   Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 am GMT
>> Spanish is the world's second most spoken language, it's spoken widely around the world, and it's easy to learn, so why not? <<

Spanish mite be the second most spoken language but no way is it easy, unless your native language is maybe Italian or Romanian.

Speaking it well after lots of practice is great but understanding spoken Spanish is another story, especially when it's coming at you at 200 miles an hour.
oiuiy   Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:42 am GMT
Lithuanian, ARmenian, Basque
Biri   Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 pm GMT
If you are going to study another language, these are your most obvious choices: English, Spanish and French, in that order.

These are the three standard translations of most of the oficial and/or important business documents and transaccions in the world. In USA Spanish speakers represents 35% of the sales and most advertise is made in both languages. If you speak English and/or Spanish you can interact in both continents: Europe and America.

French is added as a very important language for historic reasons more than any other, but it's true, it's a beautiful language and you'll it enjoy while speaking.
Voto latino   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm GMT
por el español
European   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 pm GMT
English, Chinese, Arabic
latino   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:42 pm GMT
2010: English, Chinese mandarin and Spanish.

2030: American English, language of America (Español+Portugues) and Chinese mandarin.

2050: " idioma de los latinos", Chinese mandarin and globish.
Franco   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:32 pm GMT
English , Spanish and Chinese.
Baldewin   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:34 pm GMT
Spanish will dethrone English. Also, Europe will rather revive Latin than ever use Esperanto. Greek is also nice, but in the Renaissance they've decided to use Latin so that's our historical language.
I know that in that secundary school in Wallonia where there's Latin immersion (in Wallonia you are allowed to do this, not in Flanders), they also study Ancient Greek in Latin (because the structure of the language differs little).
Mayhap this might be our future, seeing that even children from a working class family can be taught to speak Modern Latin.
Aardvark   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:52 pm GMT
Gujurati Bengali Swahili