Old English revival.

Vinlander   Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:18 pm GMT
Am i the only surprised that there has never been a movement to bring old english words that have been replaced by french. I mean there have been movements in the past mostly Anglish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglish .

But the whole idea is to purify english. What i'm talking about isn't so extreme, i simply was to give it a face lift. I mean just think every time we get a new idea in science we use a latin word. Why not start refering to old english. Why use a world like test when we have a perfectly good word like fandian, or frain for question.
Uriel   Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:47 pm GMT
Fuck you cracker
abede   Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:19 pm GMT
" quelworth hame " ... what a beautiful word.
English Warrior   Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:31 pm GMT
I hear the sound of an overwhilmth of rain.
It's coming.
Revival is coming!!
Tommy Longbow   Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:03 pm GMT
Pardon my backashapen doeragain English, but a hereheren to the coming of the tongliften anewening of English to its longfathern mightiness!

'revival -

acomebacked
anewened
awakeback
agoback
abackshape
awinbacken
Ry   Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 pm GMT
We can use "media center" instead of that Latin word "library". And after all, that is more accurate these days as libraries carry more than just books.
Connor   Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:12 am GMT
Umm, both "media" and "center" are Romance words. The -ia ending in "media" indicates a word borrowed straight from Latin, case ending and all, and soft c's as in "center" are almost always from Latin or French (the only exceptions being some respellings of native Germanic words, such as "mice", in French orthography).

The best neo-Old English compound for "library" that I can think of would be a compound like "bookhouse".
Saxon English   Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:43 am GMT
words I really really like here...

rainshade = umbrella

selfstanding = independet

songcraft = poetry

speechlore = linguistics

Yeartide = season, anniversary
vinlander   Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:13 pm GMT
selfstanding is pretty good i must admit(fourthcome)

I also think bookhall is better than bookhouse. like fire hall. /
Leasnam   Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:59 pm GMT
<<'revival -

acomebacked
anewened
awakeback
agoback
abackshape
awinbacken >>

Those are good. Here are some others:

edquich (<edcwician)
acqueaching (<acwicung)
gainbring
embwending (<ymbwending)
edchure (<edcierr)
edwarp (<edwearp/edwyrpan)
amage (<hamacgian, amagian)

<<Umm, both "media" and "center" are Romance words>>
That is true, BUT the combination of the two words as a self-explaining compound (kenning) is Germanic and is also a prevailing feature of Old English. 'Media Centre' continues this Anglo-Saxon tradition. No Roman would have quoth "Media-centre" or "medicentrum" for media center. This word is a germanic/English creation not found in Romance languages (unless borrowed from English). It is a germanic word. (and yes, I realise that I brooked 'quoth' in a modernised way)

<<The best neo-Old English compound for "library" that I can think of would be a compound like "bookhouse". >>
Yes. 'Bookhouse', or 'beccous/beccus' as the word would have turned out had it survived straight through Middle English. 'Bookhouse' is a neologism formed from 'book' and 'house', similar to the way 'housewife' exists beside the more original 'hussy' from Old English.

<<admit(fourthcome) >>
Old English also had 'andettan' and 'cnawelaecan', the latter of which is our word 'acknowledge'. I like 'Forthcome' , it is tied to or sounds like a backformation of 'forthcoming'

'bookhall' is good too
Re   Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:46 pm GMT
Those Latin and Greek words are now English words. "library", while originally from Latin is an English word now.
Paul   Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:42 pm GMT
We already have plenty of words; we don't need neologisms. Just use legit modern english words that aren't latinate.

family -> kin

people -> folk

pork -> swine

ancestor -> forefather

zero -> naught

etc...

I support this as long as people don't start making shit up. If enough people start choosing different words we can change english for the better.

Other words that could be brought back into common use: nim, wend, sunder, quoth.
Adam   Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:03 pm GMT
This is a proclamation from King Canute, who was King of England from 1016-1035, to his earl Thorkell the Tall and the English people written in AD 1020. It would be great if English was still like that.

Cnut cyning gret his arcebiscopas and his leod-biscopas and Þurcyl eorl and ealle his eorlas and ealne his þeodscype, twelfhynde and twyhynde, gehadode and læwede, on Englalande freondlice.

And ic cyðe eow, þæt ic wylle beon hold hlaford and unswicende to godes gerihtum and to rihtre woroldlage.

Ic nam me to gemynde þa gewritu and þa word, þe se arcebiscop Lyfing me fram þam papan brohte of Rome, þæt ic scolde æghwær godes lof upp aræran and unriht alecgan and full frið wyrcean be ðære mihte, þe me god syllan wolde.

Nu ne wandode ic na minum sceattum, þa hwile þe eow unfrið on handa stod: nu ic mid godes fultume þæt totwæmde mid minum scattum.

Þa cydde man me, þæt us mara hearm to fundode, þonne us wel licode: and þa for ic me sylf mid þam mannum þe me mid foron into Denmearcon, þe eow mæst hearm of com: and þæt hæbbe mid godes fultume forene forfangen, þæt eow næfre heonon forð þanon nan unfrið to ne cymð, þa hwile þe ge me rihtlice healdað and min lif byð.

Translation:

Cnut, king, greets his archbishops and his people's'-bishops and Thorkell, earl, and all his earls and all his peopleship, greater (having a 1200 shilling weregild) and lesser (200 shilling weregild), ordained to priesthood and lay, in England friendly.

And I make known to you, that I will be a civilised lord and uncheating to God's laws and to worldly laws.

I took me to mind the writs and the word that the Archbishop Lyfing me from the Pope brought of Rome, that I should everywhere God's praise promote, and outlaw lies, and full peace bring about by the might that me God wished to give.

Now, ne withdrew I not my shot (financial contribution) the while that you endured turmoil on-hand: now I, with God's support, that separated with my shot (financial contribution).

Then a man made known to me that us more harm had come upon than us well equalled: and then travelled I, meself, with those men that with me travelled, into Denmark that to you most harm came from: and that have I, with God's support, previously forefangen forestalled that to you never henceforth thence none breach of peace ne come the while that ye me rightly behold as king and my life beeth.
Flaxhopper   Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 pm GMT
I would rather folks make shit up then keep with made up shit like giving poncy names to dwellings like 'bellevue' (beautiful - view), why not 'stunningbehold' or stunnersight or merrybeholdsight house/farm.

Also, think 'bakers' not 'bakery' and how about 'diarers' instead of 'diary' 'butchers' butcherys? meatmarket? meaterhouse?

>>>We already have plenty of words; we don't need neologisms. Just use legit modern english words that aren't latinate.

family -> kin

people -> folk

pork -> swine

ancestor -> forefather

zero -> naught

etc...

I support this as long as people don't start making shit up. If enough people start choosing different words we can change english for the better.

Other words that could be brought back into common use: nim, wend, sunder, quoth.<<<
Jim   Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:07 pm GMT
@ Vinlander

< selfstanding is pretty good i must admit(fourthcome) >

I agree, like it.