Old English revival.

^^   Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:28 pm GMT
Why the fuss, people? Your Anglo-Saxon and your Latin/Greek are only dialects of the one language.

(And your Saxon genes are ibounden with Latinate strandlets.)
Leasnam   Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 am GMT
<<'stunningbehold'>>

Sheensight

<<Also, think 'bakers' not 'bakery' and how about 'diarers' instead of 'diary' 'butchers' butcherys? meatmarket? meaterhouse? >>

I think 'bakery' and 'dairy' are okay.
'butcher' is already germanic (through the Frenkisch germanic language)

<<@ Vinlander
< selfstanding is pretty good i must admit(fourthcome) >
I agree, like it. >>

Then you'll be happy to know...
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/selfstanding
Vinlander   Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:57 am GMT
^^ Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:28 pm GMT
Why the fuss, people? Your Anglo-Saxon and your Latin/Greek are only dialects of the one language.

(And your Saxon genes are ibounden with Latinate strandlets.)

As far as genes are concerned that a bit much. English is spoken by a lot of people no matter were you live its a useful exercise to better understand language.

As i said this isnt a purge on latin words. Its simply dusting off old words instead glorifying someone elses. Going to far is trying to make every word known out of basic compounds. Like littlethinkingbox for computer, thats a bit much, far to literal, languages cant be that literal without inflexions. However words like selfstanding instead of independant make alot of sense. Its almost strange we dont use words like that now, or bookhall. Or fraign instead of question. Its a interesting exercise at the least.
^^   Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 am GMT
<Its simply dusting off old words instead glorifying someone elses.>

But there you go again. It isn't someone else's Latin vocabulary. It's yours.

You might as well say non-Anglo-Saxon inventions or discoveries in mathematics are someone else's.

("Glorifying"?)

And what do you do about Latin words that were incorporated into Anglo-Saxon?
Vinlander   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:48 pm GMT
^^ Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 am GMT
<Its simply dusting off old words instead glorifying someone elses.>

But there you go again. It isn't someone else's Latin vocabulary. It's yours.

You might as well say non-Anglo-Saxon inventions or discoveries in mathematics are someone else's.

("Glorifying"?)

And what do you do about Latin words that were incorporated into Anglo-Saxon?

Whatever the word the concept still the same. I suppose if i had a interest in bringing genders back into english you'd think i have bias against women, lol keeping making stuff up.

Your acting like i'm trying to create some bias to the greek and latin side of english. The bias has already be created in english long ago. When was the last new tech with a germanic name attached to it. Just like the internet, were in the habbit of uusing latin words or greek to name eveything, telephone, automobile, Ipod, compter, and the list goes on.
lol   Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:37 pm GMT
Let's replace "question" with "aska", then we'd say "ask a aska" instead of "ask a question".
Re   Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:45 pm GMT
<<Like littlethinkingbox for computer>>

Why not just "thinkingbox"? Computers are all little, the original computer was huge, so "littlethinkingbox" would not be appropriate for it.
Tips   Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:50 pm GMT
"question" is an English word now. It came from French, but it is now an English word.
Butterhew   Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:57 pm GMT
Belet myself to amark your lossplotten misunderstandingness.

The fraign is: YES one can say ('QUESTION' is an English word NOW)

but we CANNOT fraign: ('IS' is an English word NOW)

nor ('AN' is an English word NOW)

neither ('ENGLISH' is an English word NOW)

nowt also ('WORD' is an English word NOW)

and to ask: ('NOW' is an English word NOW) is alas also outlandish silliness.

So the Englishness of the word 'question' is whoppingsomely fraignsome.
.   Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:36 pm GMT
<<And what do you do about Latin words that were incorporated into Anglo-Saxon? >>

They are still Latin words, considered Latin words in Old English, but not Anglo-Saxon words.

Here is where one *might* draw a slight distinction between Old English and Anglo-Saxon. To me, the two terms are not synonymous. To me, Anglo-Saxon refers only to the native element in Old English.

<<"question" is an English word now. It came from French, but it is now an English word. >>

It is a frempt and foreign term in English, like the US troops in Afghanistan, English is an "occupied" tongue. If you like 'question', go speak F***n' French.

<<Let's replace "question" with "aska", then we'd say "ask a aska" instead of "ask a question". >>

HuHu, lets replace 'ask' with questcha, that way we can questcha a questchun. d***a**
Sandi   Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:46 pm GMT
Word of Latin descent are ugly. Just think of how the following words sound.

Ignore (like Igor)
Moist (just nasty)
Fois Gras
Gumption
Beaucoup (retarded)
Gubernatorial (sounds like Goober)
Cognomen (cog in a wheel)
Copius
Creed (Apollo Creed/My Brother-in-Law Creed)
Culpable (Big-Gulpable?)
Nature (I nature guts!)
Umbrella (Cruella deVella)

UGLY
Banana   Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:16 pm GMT
Can I ask an aska?

Why are you pot smokers?
Craig   Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 pm GMT
<< Yeartide = season, anniversary >>

My fav, really fitting.
^^   Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:58 pm GMT
<bookhall>

Bookhall isn't a library. Bookhall is a hall with books.

Devise something better.
Toehold   Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:21 pm GMT
My lovemost is: tenyear/tenfoldyear/tenner/tenleap/tenthleap/tensome/betenthleap/tennought/tenwich/atenwich/tenhood/tening (decade)