English spreads

Curious   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
How come English is so popular throughout the world?How come other languages never became as useful?Is it because of British imperialism or because of the influence America has on the world?
Guest   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
Both.
Tiffany   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:54 pm GMT
Please look further through history. Many other languages occupied the position of "lingua franca" at other times in history. French and Latin, both languages that have influenced English, the current lingua franca, as well as many other languages, are examples of other lingua francas.
BNP   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:59 pm GMT
England rules the waves and we put manners on the foreigners and gave them a proper language.
SAOIRSE   Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 pm GMT
Oh yeah, please can you share any more of your excellent advice with us.It is so inspiring and provides so much useful information.
BNP   Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
O.K. then paddy. "SAOIRSE"
JJM   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:18 pm GMT
Since 1815, the last two world economic and military superpowers in succession have both been English-speaking.
Damian in Scotland   Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:13 am GMT
I love my native Language but don't look upon it's worldwide spread with any enormous sense of nationalistic pride. It's just been a quirk of history what has happened. To the vast majority of British people it's no great deal that English is so widely spoken. To them it's simply a matter of convenience really.....why bother to learn other Languages when "everybody speaks our Language". I know it's sad and regrettable and makes the Brits appear lazy and perhaps arrogant...but that's the way it is I'm afraid. I do believe that in spite of this situation, British people should make firm attempts to learn at least something of the Language of whatever non English speaking country abroad they are visiting. But short of making a bizarre condition of exit travel for Brits from the UK, I don't see what can be done about it.
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm GMT
"I love my native Language but don't look upon its worldwide spread with any enormous sense of nationalistic pride"
I assume you are from Scotland. I’m very observant. Would that not mean your native language should be Gaelic? English didn’t spread to Scotland because the natives wanted it. Adam, by right should be speaking in his native welsh tongue (so I've been led to believe from another thread) but for the same reason as the Scots he is speaking in English. Most Scots I’ve met, don’t speak Gaelic but do regard it as their native language whereas English was the language of the invader which had to be learned if you had to progress in life.
JUAN PABLO   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:49 pm GMT
Isn’t it ironic ? Latin was the lingua franca of the Ancient world ! Then French . And now English ! but English is 30 % Latin and 30% French ! It looks like the Latin’s and French successful DNA was mutated in English !

LATIN = ex-Lingua franca,
French=another ex-Lingua franca = LATIN derived
English=modern lingua franca = being 30 % LATIN and 30% French !

It looks like LATIN was predestined to survive inside other languages as LINGUA FRANCA ! It looks like a chain reaction!
Sander   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:50 pm GMT
Some people only see what they want to see.
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
It looks like LATIN was predestined to survive inside other languages as LINGUA FRANCA ! It looks like a chain reaction!
Where did Latin come from?
Benjamin   Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
>>I assume you are from Scotland. I’m very observant. Would that not mean your native language should be Gaelic?<<

With that logic, since I'm English, my native language should be Anglo-Saxon (perhaps even German) since English has a huge number of French influences. But no — I've always thought of one's native language(s) as the language(s) which one is brought up to speak from infancy.
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
The majority of Irish people speak English on a daily basis but by law, Irish is the first language.
Guest   Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:24 am GMT
English spreads.... margarine, butter, jam,...?