English spreads

Bruce   Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
Tiffany, you know point well taken.

Thanks
Eric   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
Bruce

These expressions are due to a combination of several things. I think that upbringing is a major factor here.In addition, it spans over all classes in society, as well as countries. It does not matter if you have been brought up in a “castle” or a” shed”. If you are” denied” the practice of using the language and “play” with it, you will slowly loose it. The result is that when one cannot find the words, one tends to use slang instead and very short sentences in order to “explain” close to entire events. All languages needs to get a proper “work out”, if not they will slowly decay and fall a part like a wall of bricks. Maybe the result of the increasing use of slang will take us back to the “Stone Age”. One sentence can mean a 100 things, thus no one has to elaborate what they want to express. And I agree, it is a huge concern.

< Homeland Security should be notified>agree, now let us see if we can get the chaps in the European council to obtain something similar ;)
Declan   Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:56 am GMT
<Alba = Scotland>

And Scotland = land of the Irish
Guest   Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:51 am GMT
>>One sentence can mean a 100 things, thus no one has to elaborate what they want to express. And I agree, it is a huge concern.<<

So that's why you're concerned that you're so misunderstood.
Eric   Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:30 pm GMT
If I were to use slang in my writing it would have been a concern, thus make room for misunderstandings due to lack of elaboration, though I would say that “misinterpretation” would in such a case be more accurate. Hope that that answered your "question" ;)
Eric   Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
<“Misinterpretation” would in such a case be more accurate>

In your case "guest", not necessarily for others. Just to clarify so that you do not “misunderstand” ;)
Damian   Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:58 pm GMT
Thanks for that, Tiffany. No way is "you know" an American "thing".....it's common over here as I said. In fact, in some areas of the UK they add something else ...."like". They tack that word onto the end for the same effect. "You know what I mean, like?" "Liverpool is the best team in the world, like! " It seems to be a Scouse (Liverpool) thing...arguably one of the most unpleasant accents of the UK when it is really strong.....mega catarrhal. The Scouse "ck" in words like "back" becomes the Scottish or Welsh "ch" only strangely it sounds like they are about to gob something up (sorry to be crude..I should have said expectorate!)
Guest   Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:12 am GMT
>>In your case "guest", not necessarily for others. Just to clarify so that you do not “misunderstand” ;) <<

It's just that in a lot of threads, with many different contributors, you have been complaining of being misunderstood.
Eric   Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:09 am GMT
still seems to be the case ;)
Guest   Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:35 am GMT
Well the other contributors understand each other adequately. But keep working at it, you'll get there!
Eric   Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:43 am GMT
I am ;)
Eric   Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:01 am GMT
Final note:

I return your curtsey by wishing you good luck with some contribution that regards the posts topic. applies for all the ones you decide to participate in. I am sure you will get “there” soon.
Guest   Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:29 am GMT
I don't feel under the same obligation so I'm not concerned but that shouldn't affect your situation.