What language is easiest for Spanish Speakers to understand?

JGreco   Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:50 am GMT
"ajuda = help' as in Portuguese"

The way it is pronounced is still similar to many variations of Latin American spanish. As many people know the "y" in words such as ayuda, ya, and the "LL" in words such as lluvia, llama are either pronounced as a "j" as in English or a "s" as in the word "leisure" in Panama and other Caribbean spanish speakers, and with an "sh" sound in Argentina and Uruguay. This shows similarities to both Portuguese and Catalan.
Gringo   Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:13 pm GMT
««Portugese - cavalho»»**

**Portuguese- cavalo (horse).
Portuguese-cabalo (present tense of cabalar) -from Hebr. kabbala
Guest   Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:30 am GMT
What's going on?? Doesn't anyone have anything to say. No one has posted for almost 2 weeks.
Guest   Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:48 am GMT
I agree that written portuguese and spanish are closest to one another and same thing for spoken italian and spanish.

But one thing that I noticed that "My friend" is "Il mio amico" and "O meu amigo" in italian and portuguese and "Mi amigo" in spanish. "The boy loves the girl" is "Il poeta ama la ragazza" and "O poeta ama a menina" in italian and portuguese and "El poeta ama a la niña" in spanish. Notice the similarity between italian and portuguese in this case.

The syntaxes or word order of italian and portuguese are more similar to each other than to spanish. Check the multi-lingual manual of your newly bought product.

There are verbs in italian one of which is "supporre", "supor" in portuguese and, suponer in spanish whish means "to suppose". Another one is "porre" italian, por in portuguese, and "poner' in spanish which means to put. In this case, spanish seems to differ from the two because all spanish all unconjugated verbs end only in either "ar"/"er"/"ir".

I conclude that protuguese is closest to french when it comes to phonolgy, to spanish in vocabualry, and to italian in syntax or word order.
Sal   Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:02 am GMT
I agree that written portuguese and spanish are closest to one another and same thing for spoken italian and spanish.

But one thing that I noticed that "My friend" is "Il mio amico" and "O meu amigo" in italian and portuguese and "Mi amigo" in spanish. "The boy loves the girl" is "Il poeta ama la ragazza" and "O poeta ama a menina" in italian and portuguese and "El poeta ama a la niña" in spanish. Notice the similarity between italian and portuguese in this case.

The syntaxes or word order of italian and portuguese are more similar to each other than to spanish. Check the multi-lingual manual of your newly bought product.

There are verbs in italian one of which is "supporre", "supor" in portuguese and, suponer in spanish whish means "to suppose". Another one is "porre" italian, por in portuguese, and "poner' in spanish which means to put. In this case, spanish seems to differ from the two because all spanish all unconjugated verbs end only in either "ar"/"er"/"ir".

I conclude that protuguese is closest to french when it comes to phonolgy, to spanish in vocabualry, and to italian in syntax or word order.
Guest   Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
"The boy loves the girl" is "Il poeta ama la ragazza" and "O poeta ama a menina" in italian and portuguese and "El poeta ama a la niña" in spanish.

Just a small correctio, in English the translation is: "The poet loves the girl".
"Poeta" means "poet" not "boy".
Sal   Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:19 am GMT
<< "The boy loves the girl" is "Il poeta ama la ragazza" and "O poeta ama a menina" in italian and portuguese and "El poeta ama a la niña" in spanish.

Just a small correctio, in English the translation is: "The poet loves the girl".
"Poeta" means "poet" not "boy". >>

Thanks for the correction. just a typographical error or I didn't review what I typed. "poeta" is indeed "poet" in english.
Josue   Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:56 am GMT
i find it funny the people who say spanish sounds like porturgese ........

i have lived in Brasil and Spain and now the USA but it surely doesnt sound the same NOR can you really understand it, you can guess and make out some things but no way of talking anything past help or where is this.

*I* think sporturgese is closer to english then spanish, in both sound and grammar and yea..........some people dis agree to that but o well

just my input and i speak all languages just fine........each to his own
Elaine Pepe   Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:57 am GMT
Spanish native speakers from South America understand "Brazilian Portuguese" quite well. Spanish and Portuguese are very, very similar languages.
One remark that is key: there are differences between Continental Portuguese (spoken in Portugal) and "Brazilian Portuguese".
I think that my "hermanos" in South America or even in Central America are able to understand "Brazilian Portuguese", the same way Brazilians can understand them. We have even created a new language called "Portunhol" (Português + Espanhol = Portuguese + Spanish). This language is also called Espaguês (Spanish + Portuguese).

But it is worth mentioning that there are relevant differences between Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.
I am not sure if a South American (I mean a Spanish native speaker born in South or even in Central America) would be able to understand Continental Portuguese, but I am sure that, with little effort, he/she will be able to understand Brazilian Portuguese.
Finally, I really don´t know if Spaniards consider Italian or French or any other language more similiar to their language than Continental Portuguese.
But here in South America, Brazilians and Spanish native speakers can understand each other quite well.

One additional remark: whether we, Brazilians, speak Portuguese or Brazilian or "Brazilian Portuguese", is another story. This is another topic. When a language is "transplanted" to another place, of course it will change.
Do Americans speak English? Do Chileans speak Spanish?
I don´t think it is worthwhile discussing this kind of thing because nobody is the "owner" of a language. No more. Changes in European languages are the "side effects" of colonization, right?

Regards.
Aldvm   Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:15 am GMT
Ponere -Latin
Poner -Spanish
Por -Portuguese
Porre -Italian
Pune -Romanian

Spanish is very flexible; one could say, "el poeta ama la niña" and it's still intelligible. Also, I highly doubt Portuguese and Italian are similar in pronunciation. They're probably more closely related in the appearance of nouns and verbs, while Spanish and Italian are closely related in pronunciation et al.

Mi amigo (note*, no article needed)
Amicum meo
Il mio amico
O meu amigo

Y sin ti no valgo
Et sine te non valeo
E senza te non valgo
E sem você não valgo

Que hora es?
Quota hora est?
Che ora è?
Que hora é?

etc.
Observant   Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:54 am GMT
It's true that portuguese is most closely related to spanish. But just in written form and when it comes to sound system its more closely related to french and when it comes to word order to italian. Sometimes Italian and portuguese use the cognates words for the same object/idea that spanish would use another term otherwise, sometimes the spanish and italian parallel and sometimes spanish and portuguese coincide.

I read in many threads of this forum that an italian would use hand gestures to a spaniard to make himself understood better. Same thing with a spanish speaking person who asks a portuguese speaking person to write down what he says because portuguese pronounciation is different from spanish.

You see the relationship of these three languages is analogous to that of polish, czech, and slovak languages to each other and scandinavian to each other.

Spoken swedish and norwegian closely resembles each other than to danish. On the other hand written norwegian are more closely related to each other than to swedish. But all three can understand each other's speech. Same thing with polish, czech, and slovak.

Spanish, italian, and portuguese are mutually intelligible languages.
Observant   Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:54 am GMT
It's true that portuguese is most closely related to spanish. But just in written form and when it comes to sound system its more closely related to french and when it comes to word order to italian. Sometimes Italian and portuguese use the cognates words for the same object/idea that spanish would use another term otherwise, sometimes the spanish and italian parallel and sometimes spanish and portuguese coincide.

I read in many threads of this forum that an italian would use hand gestures to a spaniard to make himself understood better. Same thing with a spanish speaking person who asks a portuguese speaking person to write down what he says because portuguese pronounciation is different from spanish.

You see the relationship of these three languages is analogous to that of polish, czech, and slovak languages to each other and scandinavian to each other.

Spoken swedish and norwegian closely resembles each other than to danish. On the other hand written norwegian and [danish] are more closely related to each other than to swedish. But all three can understand each other's speech. Same thing with polish, czech, and slovak.

Spanish, italian, and portuguese are mutually intelligible languages.
John   Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:21 am GMT
I'm sure most of you have heard of the Italian singer Laura Pausini...well, one of her most recent songs is called ''Io Canto'' which was also recorded into Spanish ''Yo Canto''. I managed to find these same songs mixed into ONE...I also have the seperate songs. I want you to listen to the mix first and then the individual songs and tell me what you think.. After doing this myself..I concluded that Spanish and Italian are definately closer to each other!

Yo Canto/ Io Canto Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uJU68oXO0g

Io Canto (Italian)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjsvmlvfbU

Yo Canto (Spanish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RPdTQoZEE
John   Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:37 am GMT
Sorry the second and third links were wrong

Io Canto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjsvmIvfbU

Yo Canto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RPdTQo2EE
John   Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:45 am GMT
Oh and here's the Italian/French version...which sounded nothing alike and she could hardly sing in French

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiR2fl6zWkc