English and intelligability with Germanic languages

greg   Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
Es wird sehr schwierig sein, französische Wörter zu ersetzen.
Guest   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
> Ça va être très — très — difficile, voire impossible...

> Sorry, I don't understand this - three something?

très = very/muy/molto/muito
Candy   Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
<<Perhaps there should be a movement to purify the English language by purging out French influences? We could replace French words with Germanic ones or at least spell them in a more Germanic way.>>

Why the heck would anyone want to do that??? What an odd suggestion. Personally, I LOVE the French influences in English. Of course, you could always try to *purge* your own English of French words, but as greg pointed out, it's close to impossible (= French word!)
Ed   Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
> très = very/muy/molto/muito

Ah, baie... but that is apparently of Malay origin.
Ed   Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
Candy, as I said it was a lighthearted suggestion. However some languages have experienced similar movements. If I'm correct two examples would be the Lantinisation of Romanian and replacement of Slavic words, and the attempt to remove the Arabic influence from the Turkish language.
Candy   Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:15 pm GMT
<<Candy, as I said it was a lighthearted suggestion.>>
Yeah, noticed that post after I'd posted mine. :-) (Didn't see at first that the thread had gone to a fifth page.) Still think it's a bit weird, though!
Guest   Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:05 pm GMT
>>My suggestion was not entirely serious Greg, though some languages have done similar things.

Movement - beweging
Pure - skoon, suiwer
Language - taal
Purge - skoonmaak
Influence - beïnvloed
Replace - vervang

Sorry, I don't understand this - three something? >>

Some of these words already have native equivalents.
Pure = clean
language = tongue
purge = cleanse.
Guest   Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
>>Ed : « Perhaps there should be a *movement* to *purify* the English *language* by *purging* out French *influences*? We could *replace* French words with Germanic ones or at least spell them in a more Germanic way. »

Ça va être très — très — difficile, voire impossible... <<

I don't think so. It would be impossible probably to remove all French words but I do think the number could be greatly reduced through better use of Germanic synonyms.

Hence, I don't think so. It would be unlikely maybe to take out all French words but I do think the number could be lessened through better use of Germanic synonyms.
Guest   Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 pm GMT
">>My suggestion was not entirely serious Greg, though some languages have done similar things.

Movement - beweging
Pure - skoon, suiwer
Language - taal
Purge - skoonmaak
Influence - beïnvloed
Replace - vervang

Sorry, I don't understand this - three something? >>

Some of these words already have native equivalents.
Pure = clean
language = tongue
purge = cleanse. "

One could also use 'drive' instead of 'movement' in this case.
Guest   Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 pm GMT
» My suggestion was not entirely serious Greg, though some languages have done similar things. »

Ed , you may start by germanising these words of latin origin:

suggestion , entirely , serious, languages , similar
Guest   Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:54 am GMT
<<Es wird sehr schwierig sein, französische Wörter zu ersetzen. >>

I think that the plausibility of "purging" English of French words is slim, but an influx of Anglo-saxon vocab would be a breath of fresh air.

Just consider:

"Fraign" (<fraegn) as a counterpart to "question"
"Andquest" (<andcwist) to use alongside "reply" and "answer"
"Leed" for "people" (<leod)
"Freede" (<freod) for "peace" (to help differentiate it from "piece" *lol)
"Clave" for "room/chamber" (<clafa)
"Athom" (<aethm) for spirit
"Amance" (<amaensumian, amaensian) for "impart"
"Plight" for "danger/risk" (<pliht)
"Eacon" (<iecnian) for "increase"
"Allieve" (<alyfan) for "permit"
"Smatch" for "taste/flavor" (<smaec); "Smake" for the vb
"Neighledge" ([pronounced 'nelij'] <nealaecan) for "approach"
"Gnide" for "collide" (<gnidan)
"Andette" (<andettan) for "confess"
"Amence" (<aminsian) to "diminsh/lessen"
"Costen" (<costian, costnian) to "tempt"
"Indrightine" (<indryhten) for "aristocratic"
"Fend" for to "try" (<fandian)

What would be wrong with these?

We don't always have to look to Latin and Greek for new words. I think we've exhausted those languages by now.
Saint   Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
Answer, room, lessen - these are all words of Anglo-Saxon origin, as far as I know, so maybe replacing them would be somewhat superfluous.

Some of those words already have Germanic equivalents:
"to near" is a good alternative to " to approach"
"Folk" is a logical replacement for "people"

Nobody really needs to think about introducing more words of Germanic origin into their everyday speech - the majority of daily spoken usage is already of Germanic origin. Writing, however, is a different story.
Guest   Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:32 pm GMT
<<Nobody really needs to think about introducing more words of Germanic origin into their everyday speech - the majority of daily spoken usage is already of Germanic origin. Writing, however, is a different story. >>

Well, the goal is not to replace Words with Words...the goal is to Enrich English with new expressions. It doesn't matter to me that the words suggested above are Germanic or not, but rather that they are English--i.e. they're our own words. And if we need new ones, I'd like to think that we have more options to consider than just Latin and Greek.
Saint   Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 am GMT
<<. It doesn't matter to me that the words suggested above are Germanic or not, but rather that they are English--i.e. they're our own words. >>

Those words are Germanic AND English. They are our own words and have their roots in Proto-Germanic. There are very few Germanic words in English which are not of Anglo-Saxon origin.
Guest   Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:17 pm GMT
English is rife in Old Norse, Dutch, Low German and "other Germanic" (i.e. Frankish and Gothic [primarily through French but also other Romance languages]).

Much of our original lexicon was lost when the Normans killed the Anglo-saxon upper class and interlligencia, including the A.S. clergy (excepting ONE cleric). With them went the more refined and polished forms of our language. Unfortunate.

Today, when we say "Anglo-Saxon" it always refers to base-language, one syllable words, or direct speech. A true misrepresentation when you delve further, and a shame.