I'll vs All

Jim   Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
They're not the same for me.
Lazar   Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
<<They're not the same for me.>>

But I'm just curious, are there reduced forms of "I'll" and "while/whilst" in your dialect?
Stan   Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
<< But I'm just curious, are there reduced forms of "I'll" and "while/whilst" in your dialect? >>

Now, I'm curious...was that a question or an insult?
Lazar   Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 pm GMT
<<Now, I'm curious...was that a question or an insult?>>

How could what I wrote possibly be construed as an insult? I just wanted to know whether reduced forms of those words exist in Jim's dialect.
Tiffany   Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:41 pm GMT
I'm scratching my head at that one too... How could asking if "I'll" and "while/whilst" exist as reduced forms in Jim's dialect be an insult? Something is not adding up...
Travis   Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
>>I'm scratching my head at that one too... How could asking if "I'll" and "while/whilst" exist as reduced forms in Jim's dialect be an insult? Something is not adding up...<<

Yeah, I myself am wondering how Stan could have possibly interpreted such as such...
Stan   Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:22 pm GMT
Lazar,
Is it that difficult to get a "yes" or "no" answer, don't be scared, I won't bite you.
George   Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
I'm from the West Country (England) and I pronounce "all" and "I'll" both as /A:l/. Pronounce "I'll" with /aI/ sounds stilted to me. "all" and "doll" don't rhyme for me though, as "all" is /A:l/ and "doll" is /dAl/.
Jim   Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:13 am GMT
I'd say that there are. Perhaps they run something along the lines of /Ol/, /wOlst/ and maybe /wOl/.
Guy   Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:24 am GMT
I'll do that.
All do that. (whether this sentence is natural or not)

sounds amazingly similar in my accent.
Nota Vespucciano   Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:20 am GMT
They're very different for me. Different vowels, so different sounds. I wonder if those who pronounce them similarly also confuse "wile" and wall".
Mike   Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
<<They're very different for me. Different vowels, so different sounds. I wonder if those who pronounce them similarly also confuse "wile" and wall".>>

Nope, "wile" and "wall" are very different for me despite the fact that "I'll" and "all" are the same.
Jim   Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:29 am GMT
I wouldn't use the word "confuse". Pronouncing two words the same and confusing two words are quite different things.
Thommo   Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:13 am GMT
"I wouldn't use the word "confuse". Pronouncing two words the same and confusing two words are quite different things."

Of course they are, but if someone pronounces two words the same, it can cause confusion.

Why the arid and acid comment, Jim? No contribution to the discussion, just an unsubtle knife in the back. Poor stuff.
Turn it up   Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:31 am GMT
I don't know what personal issues the previous poster has to the extent shown or how a sharp implement relates to Jim's point on context sorting out homophones. But in my dialect for example, "sure" and "shore" as homophones aren't confused so I can understand why "all" and "I'll" wouldn't be in others. And anyway there are many, many more homophones common to most dialects e.g. to, too, two and by, bye.