Disc and disk

Leena   Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:56 am GMT
What is Spangish i mean what does it mean?
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 am GMT
>No all inventions by New Zealand is considered British pre 1948. <

You really think New Zealand as an British outpost? You wait til 2007 when we get our referendum on the status of the continue role of your Queen's rule on our lands.

Sadly Adam with the current New Zealand public opinion this is surely lending towards our aim to become a republic.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:01 am GMT
>What is Spangish i mean what does it mean? <

It's a mixture of Spanish and English - people of usually Spanish speaking backgrounds who doesn't speak fluent English, so they mixed their speech with both English and Spanish.
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:11 am GMT
<<>No all inventions by New Zealand is considered British pre 1948. <

You really think New Zealand as an British outpost? You wait til 2007 when we get our referendum on the status of the continue role of your Queen's rule on our lands. >>

Did you not read the bit that says 'pre 1948'? That doesn't say anything about NZ in 2006, does it? Of course it's not a 'British outpost'. BTW, do you seriously think anyone in the UK gives a damn who your head of state is?
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:14 am GMT
>Did you not read the bit that says 'pre 1948'? That doesn't say anything about NZ in 2006, does it? Of course it's not a 'British outpost'. BTW, do you seriously think anyone in the UK gives a damn who your head of state is? <

Correction Candy if he was so brave to say pre 1948 he should of check his facts and realise it was 1901 not 1948.

Sometimes I wonder why such idiots speck before doing some form of research.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:15 am GMT
>BTW, do you seriously think anyone in the UK gives a damn who your head of state is? <

Well people like Adam shows such a group in your country would give a damn.
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:23 am GMT
I'm not responding any more to someone who can't even choose a username.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:27 am GMT
LOL.

Well Candy it's got to a point I'm just sick and tired of been impersonated by a troll.
CTC   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:43 am GMT
" "Airplane" is much better than "aeroplane" in my opinion."

"The 'aeroplane' lands at the 'aeroport'."

So of course you prefer "airobic" to "aerobic", "air-engines" to "aero-engines", "air-space" to "aero-space" (shame that they mean different things), and "air-dynamics" to "aero-dynamics". Not to mention a hundred other words.

Of course you must, or you have no argument.
Thommo   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:48 am GMT
"Correction Candy if he was so brave to say pre 1948 he should of check his facts and realise it was 1901 not 1948."

Actually it was Australia which became a self-governing federated country within the British Empire in 1901. New Zealand had a quiet year, having rejected the opportunity to join the federation.
Shiny Wong   Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:29 pm GMT
"Disc" is only a variation of "Disk".

In my opinion, the word 'disc' was invented by some manufacturers.
Because the word 'disk' cannot be displayed in the 7-segment display.
Such as, "No Disc" can be well displayed, but "No Disk" cannot.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
>Actually it was Australia which became a self-governing federated country within the British Empire in 1901. New Zealand had a quiet year, having rejected the opportunity to join the federation. <

Yes but we rejected the federation and decided to become a separate dominion in 1901. It isn't celebrated as you guys do. We already had our own version of 'Australia day' since 1840 called 'Waitangi day' (called 'New Zealand day' between 1972 and 1979 and changed back to 'Waitangi day') this day symbolised the treaty between the British and the Maoris.
Jim   Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:57 am GMT
Interesting theory ShinyWong the only problem is that "disc" is derived from Latin "discus". The ancient Romans would have to have been pretty forward-looking to have foreseen 7-segment displays.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=disk&searchmode=none

Of course, before this, the Greeks spelt it with a kappa.
Thommo   Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:26 am GMT
">Actually it was Australia which became a self-governing federated country within the British Empire in 1901. New Zealand had a quiet year, having rejected the opportunity to join the federation. <

>>Yes but we rejected the federation and decided to become a separate dominion in 1901. It isn't celebrated as you guys do. We already had our own version of 'Australia day' since 1840 called 'Waitangi day' (called 'New Zealand day' between 1972 and 1979 and changed back to 'Waitangi day') this day symbolised the treaty between the British and the Maoris.<<

No offence, but in 1901 NZ remained what it was, a British Crown Colony, and did not become a dominion until the 26th of September 1907. Australia was never a dominion as such, although it has often been mistakenly called so.
Guest   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:10 pm GMT
<No offence, but in 1901 NZ remained what it was, a British Crown Colony, and did not become a dominion until the 26th of September 1907. Australia was never a dominion as such, although it has often been mistakenly called so.>

No offence taken Thommo and you are correct about the date. But think this out thru the eyes of a New Zealander. We decided to become our own country instead of a state of another. This is something that contributed to our 'idea' of a separate identify from the other colonies in the region who decided to join the Australian commonweath.