Disc and disk

Adam   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:31 pm GMT
"You really think New Zealand as an British outpost? You wait til 2007 when we get our referendum on the status of the continue role of your Queen's rule on our lands.

Sadly Adam with the current New Zealand public opinion this is surely lending towards our aim to become a republic"

Who cares?
Adam   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:33 pm GMT
"Oh yeah and the Americans invented the 'airplane'."

No. The British invented the aeroplane.
Adam   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:37 pm GMT
If anyone can show that it was the Americans who made the first heavier-than-air flight and not the British I'll give them £50.
Tiffany   Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
I think you missed the joke Adam. Hint: check the spelling.
Guest   Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:11 am GMT
<f anyone can show that it was the Americans who made the first heavier-than-air flight and not the British I'll give them £50?>

Really Adam?
Thommo   Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:56 am GMT
>We decided to become our own country instead of a state of another.<

More power to you for having done so; the referendum prior to federation was a very close call in Qld and WA also, with both almost staying out, and personally I wish Queensland had.
Adam   Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:06 am GMT
If you become a Republic that'll be your problem. Constitutional Monarchies are the best forms of governance in the world and Republics are a lot more corrupt.

Compare how corrupt Republics such as France and the US are to Constitutional Monarchies such as Britain, Australia and New Zealand.
Guest   Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 am GMT
Meh to the Constitutional Monarchy. Idealised baloney. Even if it goes after Lizzy carks it, Question Time won't lose a beat.
Adam   Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:28 pm GMT
"Really Adam? "

Yep. If anyone wants to challenge my idea that the aeroplane was invented by the British, go ahead. The Wright Brothers weren't the first.
Ted   Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:04 am GMT
I'm not a Kiwi, Adam, but I believe the Antipodean claims on this one: New Zealander Richard Pearse first flew a powered heavier-than-air device in 1902, following the pioneering work of Australian Lawrence Hargraves, so I suppose you are you claiming them both as British, before certain British subjects lost their citizenship in the 1960s following a flood of immigrants from other countries then part of the Empire.

I know Germaine Greer and Clive James and a couple of others slipped through before the gates closed, but generally we're quite sensible, even inventive occasionally. As for Kylie, she must have a Pom grandparent.
from OHIO   Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
disks are 'magnetic media' like floppy disks or hard disks, and discs are 'optical media' (i.e. read with a laser) like audio compact discs or CD-Roms
greg   Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:48 am GMT
Adam : « (...) Constitutional Monarchies such as Britain (...) »

1/ La Bretane est une région française : la « Britain » n'existe pas. Tu pensais peut-être au Royaume-Uni-de-Grande-Bretagne-et-d'Irlande-du Nord ?

2/ Le RUGBIN est dépourvu de constitution. L'Union européenne aurait pu apporter une constitution au RUGBIN mais les Français et les Néerlandais s'y sont opposés. Quelle ironie du sort...
greg   Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 am GMT
Erratum : la Bretagne.
Ted   Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:33 pm GMT
You can play with semantics all you want but "la Bretagne" isn't Britain and French isn't English.

Britain is indeed Great Britain.
from OHIO   Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
"aero" I believe comes from Latin. "Air" is in plain English and French