Can I be a lawyer in the States even if I have an accent?

Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:05 pm GMT
<< Indeed, discrimination is an issue very few in America would like to talk about, the truth is that we all try to deny it, rather than discuss it. >>

Just the point I was trying to make, my bluntness seems to be an obvious mistake, most people hate to hear the plain truth, they like it served with tasteful embellishments.

And since when has someone's mention af prejudice in America makes him "anti-America," this is the constituent I think we all should be careful with our choices of words.

<< Stan; you're getting awfully tiresome lately. >>

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you can't seem to hide a bad day.
Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:57 pm GMT
<< Stan; you're getting awfully tiresome lately. >>

And consider how much crap I've had to put up with...lately!
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
Tiffany said:

***I think people in general are uncomfortable around people who are perceived as strangers - this includes people who speak with an accent as they are often seen as having one up on strangers - they are perceived as not only strangers, but strangers from another country.***

I'm sorry, but if that really is the prevailing attitude in the United States then it is an extremely parochial one. Flippin' 'eck! - America is a country that has been built up on the backs of immigrants from all points of the compass - from all over the globe! The Great Melting Pot - all those Languages and accents merging together in the Great American Dream. How come then that there is this "discomfort" and "suspicion" of people who speak "with an accent", and then perceived as, oh my God! - - strangers! How narrow minded and bigoted is that attitude? Does it mean that people like our Russian friend Sergei would not be welcome to contribute to the famed American Dream simply because of some incredulous prejudice towards his Russian accent? By all accounts, he hasn't been there very long, and surely in time it would become more Americanised, as that seems to be the case usually from what little I know about such matters over there.

I'm sorry, but I found that statement about perceived antagonism in the so called land of opportunity for all more than just a little strange. I'm so sorry, but it simply strengthens still more the anti Americanism prevalent throughout the rest of the world ....of which sadly so many Americans seem to be blissfully unaware, which is why this parochialism seemingly now exists.

Of course prejudice and discrimination exists in most countries and always will, but as I have said, America has developed as the great nation it is today out of the efforts of people originating from a whole host of other nations. That is why it seems so strange that they now, apparently, have this very narrow minded attitude, according to posts from Americans themselves. After all, if anybody knows the facts, they do. We outsiders don't. All we know really is that Americans *generally* (not all of them of course but pretty much the majority) have little concern for the rest of the world.

Maybe it isn't really that bad - and hopefully that's what Sergei will discover. After all he's been given the opportunity to study there, which is good.

Sergei - good luck, mate!
Tiffany   Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
You have misunderstood me Damian. My point was that any "wariness" towards people viewed as foreigners was global and not strictly American, as this topic seems to try to be implying. There is no more or less of it in America vs other countries.

I for one think we are very welcoming to foreigners. I married a foreigner for godsakes. But the country isn't perfect - because not all people in it are perfect. I am not delusional about the country I am from. I am actually probably one of the toughest critics of America. However, while everybody loves pointing out the America is actually very imperfect, they seem to forget that the countries they hail from aren't either, as though they are holier-than-thou. Pot calling the kettle black.

Anti-Americanism? I'd say so. "America this, Americans that" This is the "Let's pick on th US" decade.
Tiffany   Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:19 pm GMT
<<All we know really is that Americans *generally* (not all of them of course but pretty much the majority) have little concern for the rest of the world.>>

Is this an Anti-American attitude, Damian? It's like when I went to Montreal to visit my cousin who was going to McGill. We met a Quebec sovereignist at the university who ranted on about evil anglo-Canadians for a good twenty minutes. Of course, he said, not all of them were evil, like my cousin and I, but he was sure most were....

Really, why pick on America? What kind of "concern" are you speaking of? I could say... Generally, Italy seems to have little concern for the rest of the world. Would that be any more or less valid? How about Britian? What more concern for the world does Britian have that America lacks?
Johnathan Mark   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:05 am GMT
Sergei,

I think your success will depend on what kind of lawyer you want to be. You may have problems as a trial lawyer, as your non-native accent may cause jurors to doubt your knowledge of and commitment to American law, but for areas of law involving less speaking, you can do just fine. Best of luck to you.
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:18 am GMT
I work with doctors in the US, and not only do many of them have thick foreign accents, but people seem happy to trust their LIVES with them. So I think this was a case of Stan speaking on a subject about which he knows a lot less than he thinks.
Johnathan Mark   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:22 am GMT
"I work with doctors in the US, and not only do many of them have thick foreign accents, but people seem happy to trust their LIVES with them."

I don't see it as a matter of trust so much as a matter of credibility. A person claiming to be an expert in American law would probably come across as more credible to the average person if they spoke an American accent. Medicine is a science, and is therefore universal.
Guest   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:45 am GMT
I think Stan should not speak of America as he does when probably hasn't ever been here. I also find it suspicious that he refuses to say what country he is from.
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:50 am GMT
Since when are lawyers credible in ANY accent?

And why would we expect a foreign-born doctor to have a complete grasp of anatomy and biochemistry, but NOT trust a foreign-born lawyer to have mastered law? Especially when they would have to have been proven competent by passing the state bar exam in order to practice in the first place?
Johnathan Mark   Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:05 am GMT
"Since when are lawyers credible in ANY accent?"

Good one.

"And why would we expect a foreign-born doctor to have a complete grasp of anatomy and biochemistry, but NOT trust a foreign-born lawyer to have mastered law?"

Law is specific to a region, as is language, whereas human anatomy and biochemistry are universal sciences.
Stan   Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:49 am GMT
<< I also find it suspicious that he refuses to say what country he is from. >>

Well, I like to view myself as an exemplary citizen of the world, even though I wake up everyday in the greatest country in the world (Canada) where I'm happy to say discrimination does not exist (I know I'm wrong - just being positive). Infact, as much as I hate to say it; Sergei will certainly have a magnificently increased chance of success over here compared to "that other country."

<< So I think this was a case of Stan speaking on a subject about which he knows a lot less than he thinks. >>

You know what?, I think you all are right, just; maybe I know very little about this subject, infact the few things I know are WHAT I WATCH ON TV and READ IN THE NEWSPAPERS!. In the light of that, I've decided to bury the issue like a bad habit and quit all altercations.

Sergei, one truth I never mentioned is the fact that you can succeed anywhere, difficulties only make things more interesting - and makes victory even sweeter. Heavy accent never counts for much, people have gone through worse things (and succeeded), trust me, I know a lot about that (atleast).
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:01 am GMT
<<Law is specific to a region, as is language, whereas human anatomy and biochemistry are universal sciences. >>

Exactly. Did you not read the part where I said that to even be able to PRACTICE law, you must first pass the bar exam?
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:03 am GMT
And I might add that in the US, you must also be licensed to practice medicine by the state in which you practice; your credentials from Vermont are not necessarily valid in Oklahoma. You must take the state boards first. So medicine is not legally "universal".
Johnathan Mark   Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:06 am GMT
Uriel, you seem to be a very rational man. Unfortunately, our jurors are not elected based on their rationality, and carry with them their biases. There are times when perception matters more than reality.

However, it is true that I have not performed any research and everything I have written is nothing more than my opinion on how I think jurors would react to a lawyer with an accent. Maybe I'm wrong.