Can I be a lawyer in the States even if I have an accent?

Jane S   Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
Tiffany   Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:27 pm GMT
Where does it say "lawyer" = "liar" on that page? They only say there are two pronunciations and show where the two are prevalent. They don't say that either of those pronunciations are the same as the pronunciation of liar. In fact, the vowel sound approximates they give for either word does not sound like the vowel used in the first syllable of "liar" for me.
Mike   Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
Yeah, I don't see anywhere on the map where they list "liar" for "lawyer".
Mike   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
By the way, I pronounce "lawyer" as /lOI.@`/.
Travis   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
I don't pronounce "lawyer" as "liar", but I generally think of them as synonyms. It's just that lawyers here in Wisconsin lie so much.
Tiffany   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:08 pm GMT
I have a similar opinion. Also synonymous with "thief" in many instances (have you seen the exorbitant rates some charge?) But of course this is an altogether separate issue from pronunciation.
Lazar   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
I pronounce "lawyer" like Mike does. The two common pronunciations of "lawyer" in the US, and the two pronunciations indicated in the above survey, are (using interdialectal phonemes) /"lOI.@`/-->["lOI.@`]/["loI.@`] and ["lO.j@`]-->["lO.j@`]/["lQ.j@`]. Neither of those would be homophonous with "liar".
Greg M.   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:14 pm GMT
<<I pronounce "lawyer" like Mike does. The two common pronunciations of "lawyer" in the US, and the two pronunciations indicated in the above survey, are (using interdialectal phonemes) /"lOI.@`/-->["lOI.@`]/["loI.@`] and ["lO.j@`]-->["lO.j@`]/["lQ.j@`]. Neither of those would be homophonous with "liar".>>

What about "liar" and "lyre"? Are those homonyms for you? They're not for me.
Greg M.   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:16 pm GMT
By the way, here's my pronunciations for the following words:

lawyer - /lOI.@`/

liar - /l@I.@`/

lyre - /laI@`/
Mike   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:22 pm GMT
<<I pronounce "lawyer" like Mike does. The two common pronunciations of "lawyer" in the US, and the two pronunciations indicated in the above survey, are (using interdialectal phonemes) /"lOI.@`/-->["lOI.@`]/["loI.@`] and ["lO.j@`]-->["lO.j@`]/["lQ.j@`]. Neither of those would be homophonous with "liar".>>

I've tried saying "lawyer" as */lA.j@`/ and it does sound closer to "liar" than my actual pronunciation /lOI.@`/, but still not the same. Maybe someone was hearing that and misinterpreted it as "liar".
Mike   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:25 pm GMT
Misheard is as being the same as "liar", that is.
Mike   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:26 pm GMT
Do you think that's possible, Lazar?
Lazar   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:55 pm GMT
<<What about "liar" and "lyre"? Are those homonyms for you? They're not for me.>>

Those are homonyms for me, as ["laI.@`].

<<I've tried saying "lawyer" as */lA.j@`/ and it does sound closer to "liar" than my actual pronunciation /lOI.@`/, but still not the same. Maybe someone was hearing that and misinterpreted it as "liar".>>

Yeah, it's conceivable that someone with a very open vowel for the /O/ phoneme (for instance a NCVS speaker), or someone with the cot-caught merger, could pronounce "lawyer" as ["lA.j@`], which could in turn be misheard as "liar".
Greg M.   Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:10 pm GMT
<<Those are homonyms for me, as ["laI.@`].>>

That's interesting. It appears that you have r-breaking in your dialect. What about the following words:

"beer" and "freer"

"sour" and "power"

"coir" and "employer"

Do those pairs rhyme for you? Here's how I pronounce them:

beer - /bir/

freer - /fri.@`/

sour - /saUr/

power - /paU.@`/

coir - /kOIr/

employer - /EmplOI.@`/
Lazar   Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:43 pm GMT
"Beer" and "freer" do not rhyme for me: