shit where you eat?

Lazarakis   Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:33 am GMT
My subject may seem a bit rude, but that's what I read:

"Was this Penn's best performance: Not even close. Besides, for Penn, who wrote both The Crossing Guard and The Pledge, this is like shitting where you eat. i.e. Revenge killings. Hamlet is so 1500s... "

(Read from http://ruthlessreviews.com/movies/m/mysticriver.html)

I can only vaguely sense that "shitting where you eat" isn't a very pleasant expression. But I can't figure out what this expression implies at all. I also find many articles in the internet describe something is "like shitting where you eat". Can anybody tell me what they mean by saying so?
Guest   Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:09 am GMT
It means that you're polluting, soiling, or messing up your own habitat/environment, and ultimately doing harm to yourself. In the case of the review of Penn's performance, it means that his subpar performance in Mystic River is a stain in his otherwise spectacular film career (a sentiment that I don't necessarily agree with).
Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:13 pm GMT
<< My subject may seem a bit rude.. >>

It is outrageous and shameful, I wonder if you look into the mirror everyday and take comfort (at heart) with the knowledge of what you have done. The problem with obscenity is that it is "selfish;" inconsiderate towards others. It is tragic.

The fact that you're free to use any word on the forum doesn't give you the moral authorization to use it, and it speaks volumes of the type of individual that you are.
andre in usa   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:22 pm GMT
After reading several posts by Stan, I'm wondering if he is a troll. Or just another weirdo... we seem to have a lot of them.
Ant_222   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:31 pm GMT
That means to saw the branch you are sitting on.
Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:36 pm GMT
<< After reading several posts by Stan, I'm wondering if he is a troll. Or just another weirdo... we seem to have a lot of them. >>

No doubt "decency" is a strange word to you. And your comment does show you had quite "an up-bringing." If you think decent people are "weirdos" then its obvious someone really did a terrible job "nurturing you."
Nats   Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:34 pm GMT
A troll or a weirdo ... could be both. Best thing to do about people like Stan is to ignore them. But it is kind of funny in an ironic way that Stan it talking about decency and shamefulness when he's the one being rude and outragous.
Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 pm GMT
<< But it is kind of funny in an ironic way that Stan it talking about decency and shamefulness when he's the one being rude and outragous. >>

"rude and outragous" - such strong words, excellent. Well, as a proof of how much of a decent person I am; I am going to react the way a desent person would react to a fool: "silence."
Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:53 pm GMT
<< the way a desent person would react to a fool >>

thats decent (not desent).
Guest   Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:53 pm GMT
I think Stan is both a weirdo and a very persistent troll.
Guest   Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
I admire Stan with his 'I don't take shit and state the facts as it is.' Why should we continue to be so PC?
Guest   Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
You're a moron. Stan is the one being PC because he thinks that the word "shit" should be censored.
Guest   Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:05 am GMT
Who are you talking to? Stan? If not, I assume you'e Stan himself hiding behind that name.
Lazarakis   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:15 am GMT
"...and it speaks volumes of the type of individual that you are..."

Well, Stan, it only shows I'm an ESL learner who didn't understand this expression. I bet as soon as you see an unpleasant subject like this, you just couldn't wait to click in to read the whole thing and even respond to it. And that speaks volumes of the type of individual that you are.
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:21 am GMT
A similar expression is to "shit in your own nest".