Belgium bans roadsigns written in French.

BNP   Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
I have little interest in travelling to Armagh. The people may be Irish but at least they're white. I get a lot of threats for my beliefs and anyway I don't wish to attack any individual for any racist reason especially not those from Crossmaglen.
Guest   Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:33 am GMT
BNP I suggest you learn there is only one race and that race is called the Human race.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:52 am GMT
Race? This week the only race that matters will most probably be the Cheltenham Gold Cup...or ....just maybe..... the two fifteen Springfield Honda Maiden at Sedgefield, if it stops snowing.
Guest   Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:21 am GMT
dear Adam:

I think youshould replace: "In Republic of Ireland's case, how would they be able to cope with hundreds of British troops parachuting in on Dublin and Royal Navy warships prowling the coast of Ireland? "

by this:

"In Republic of Ireland's case, how would they be able to cope with hundreds of US troops parachuting in on Dublin and Royal Navy warships prowling the coast of Ireland? "
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:16 am GMT
***"In Republic of Ireland's case, how would they be able to cope with hundreds of US troops parachuting in on Dublin and Royal Navy warships prowling the coast of Ireland? "***

Knowing the Paddies, they would see to it that all the troops would get with the craic and the hoolie.....and unlimited supplies of rich, dark foaming Guinness.....

btw: remember Paddies' Day this coming Friday......on with the craic....
Irish Guy   Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:49 pm GMT
"btw: remember Paddies' Day this coming Friday......on with the craic...."

How could anyone forget? Quite a few are parading around London this week. Personaly, I hate the parades. They eat into valuable drinking time.

"Knowing the Paddies, they would see to it that all the troops would get with the craic and the hoolie.....and unlimited supplies of rich, dark foaming Guinness....."

That’s what happened when the English came over. We were too friendly and the gits didn't want to leave. We've learned our lesson. Next time we'll have our nuclear subs (all zero of them) sitting of shore waiting for the RN. Also, no need to call us paddies. Some of us are sensitive about that.

"I have little interest in travelling to Armagh. The people may be Irish but at least they're white. I get a lot of threats for my beliefs and anyway I don't wish to attack any individual for any racist reason especially not those from Crossmaglen."

I met one of your BNP buddies once. He was visiting a friend of mine who's a Geordie. He was interested in having a go at us. Thankfully the barman asked him to leave and when he didn't he got dragged out the back, given a kicking and made to leave by the next day. He was an out and out racist who had about as much interest in politics as my pet dog. I'm not from Crossmaglen but just down the road from there. It sure is a great place.
Adam   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:00 pm GMT
"BNP I suggest you learn there is only one race and that race is called the Human race. "

What about cats and dogs and elephants etc?
Adam   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
"btw: remember Paddies' Day this coming Friday......on with the craic.... "

I'm not celebrating it. I'm not Irish.

Just like I won't be celebrating American Independence Day, Bastille Day or Anzac Day.
Adam   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:04 pm GMT
"Next time we'll have our nuclear subs (all zero of them) sitting of shore waiting for the RN"

What a scary prospect. No nuclear subs to battle with.

We could start the war against Ireland at midday and the invasion should be complete by quarter past three.
Irish Guy   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:05 pm GMT
Come on over Adam with your SA80(piece of shit) and sort us out then. I'm sitting here scared out of my mind just waiting for paras storm through the fields and kill all us "civilians". If you hate other nationalities so much why would you post on this forum.
Irish Guy   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
"I'm not celebrating it. I'm not Irish."

There are plenty of English people in London who are. Would you look at that, London being took over for a weeks long celebration of our national holiday. I've come over all patriotic. SINNE NA FIANNA FAIL......
Ed   Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
Why should the Flemish inhabitants of mainly Flemish towns of Belgium not have signs in their own language?

As for the Brits it is only for historical reasons that the French rather than Dutch names are better known.
sparkypants   Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:23 am GMT
Thanks, Adam! It's been a long time since I read anything online that actually made me laugh out loud. I'm from English-speaking Canada, and I've grown up reading bilingual product instructions; I've always been fascinated by the difference in length between directions in English and directions in French.
Canadian   Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:40 am GMT
Simply I don't know why Canada has to fall on both knees to please the French speaking minority. I myself would respect Canada's ONLY French speaking province by attempting use the language of the majority but why should the other provinces use French when they are mostly consist of English speakers?

So ironic for Quebec to impose laws minimizing English signage while the other provinces promote French even though roughly 90% - 95% of the population of the other provinces are English speaking.

I'm not racist but the PC is getting too much. How would Quebec feel if other provinces impose such narrow minded laws to discriminate against the French language?

Of course many of you would use the argument that it's protecting the unique culture of Quebec but untimately it is up to the people of Quebec to uphold their culture not the Government nor the other provinces of Canada.

On Belgium I doubt the Flemish population wouldn't agree to the French only signs in their towns as would the French if they were in the same situation.

Unlike Canada where the 'balance' is more to one side - The Belgiums are i a unique position where it's almost 50/50. (though I acknowledge the French speaking have a slight lead)
Confused South African   Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:07 pm GMT
I have spoken to some Belgiuns and Swis and found it a little strange when they talk about different sectors that speak in only one language.
Most South Africans can speak at least two languages.
The road signs are done in at least two different languages and people are tolarent to each others languages.
It isn't strange to find some people speaking in two different language to each other e.g Afrikaaner speaking Afrikaans to a English speaker and the English speaking in English.
Europe is confusing.