wanna to have a English name

eaterner   Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:47 am GMT
could anyone help me make my English name?BTW,in my coundtry,my name means creation. Does any English name have the same meaning?
easterner   Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:45 am GMT
dissapointed..
Ben   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 am GMT
Beginning of Rant:

Names don't translate.

When I go to Ireland I don't start calling myself Biniamín, in the same way I don't call myself Benjamin in French, or 'God's right hand son' (or whatever my name means) in any other language. If you really want to change your name on your passport and ID documents etc. I would advise just choosing an English name you like.

Now that that's over ;) -

Urm.........what IS your name? It'll make it easier to find an English equivilent. You could trawl through this site:

http://www.behindthename.com/

or google for other sites.

Good luck,

Ben.
Guest   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:08 am GMT
Best to use your real name. No point in trying to pretend you're other than you are. Lefties will love it, others may not, but you will be respected by both for not pretending to be Anglo-Celtic.
Adam   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:52 am GMT
What about Featherstonehaulgh?

Souinds like a typically English name, although it's pronounced "Fanshaw."
Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:40 am GMT
I'm curious, I'd like to know how would the American and British people pronounce my name?
The French people pronounce it like LariSSA and the Russians pronounce it like LaRIssa, personally I prefer the Russian pronunciation!
Uriel   Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:07 am GMT
La-RISS-a.
Alicia   Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:49 am GMT
Eaterner, a word that means "creation" in English is of course......

hold your breath...

CREATION! That's the word, duh. Go ahead and make it your English name; I've read about real people with first names such as Charity, Hope, Increase, and Cotton.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:59 am GMT
In puritanical (many would say hypocritically religiously fervent) Victorian times it was common for girls to be given names that were actually abstract nouns representing things that were pure and virtuous...eg Faith, Hope, Charity, Grace, Honor (always spelt the American way!) Providence, Prudence, even Virtue and Purity themselves.

Isn't that right, ['L-@RISS-@]?
Uriel   Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 pm GMT
Honestly, easterner, I can't think of any English names that mean "creation". But most of our names have meanings that are not immediately apparent to us, since they have usually come from different languages and mutated along the way; we usually have to look their meanings up.
Mari   Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
If you are really looking for a name that you like you shouldn't base it just on what you want your name to mean. I have found that the names that have the most beautiful meanings are sometimes some of the most unwanted.
Good Luck ;)
Stan   Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:23 am GMT
All these comments seem more like a quaint attempt at ridicule, its amazing how everyone has a response that somehow fall short of a blunt or should I say a "lucid" answer to a very clear question. Whatever happened to "I don't know."

In as much as I am curious about the reason for someone's "wanting an English name," I guess my astonishment in regards to the rather lame responses I've observed has sent my curiousity to an early grave.
Well Stan,   Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:30 pm GMT
"I don't know" isn't exactly the kind of response you'd want for one of YOUR discussions would it???
I just can't picture what anyone could say after "I don't know"
A stupid opinion is better than saying nothing. < Thus, I will not blatantly "ridicule" your response.
Stan   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
<< I just can't picture what anyone could say after "I don't know"
A stupid opinion is better than saying nothing. < Thus, I will not blatantly "ridicule" your response. >>

-- Whatever happened to "I don't know." --

That was a more polite form of:

-- Whatever happened to "shutting up" if you don't know. --

It seems its very difficult for people to read between the lines, I try to be as polite as possible, but some people JUST never seem to "GET IT!!" or to be clear on the messages I try to convey, and the same people complain ("Stan is rude") whenever I come blunt. They always like the truth served cold.
Guest   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:31 pm GMT
I can't possibly answer that question. I will give my oppinion anyway..................... Happy stan.