wanna to have a English name

Alicia   Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:00 am GMT
Stan,

I understand your viewpoint, but the post that started this thread really smacks of idiocy (so does the title: "wanna to have..." *mumbles*). I'd never think of coming up with an English equivalent for my Japanese name because the two naming systems simply don't match up!

So a silly query racks up silly responses. We could ignore the Easterner, but everyone likes to have a bit of fun!

Damian,

Puritanical! Cotton Mather and Increase Mather were famous Puritan preachers. My my, those Puritans just love to name their children funny things!

Easterner,

Let's forget about "creation" since you're not likely to get a decent response with that.

A random English (well, maybe Welsh, but pooh) name I just love is Guinevere. If you're a girl, you could consider it!

Finally, if you're Eastern European, then your name is probably prettier than any English name in existence.
Guest   Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 am GMT
>Honor (always spelt the American way!)<

It's not actually the yank way, it's simply the name way.
Benquasha   Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:06 am GMT
Try Karsen. It's american and unisex. It means "Created name"

http://www.babynames.com/Names/name_display.php?n=KARSEN
Hildeburga   Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:13 am GMT
You can have my name...
Misha   Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:40 am GMT
"In puritanical (many would say hypocritically religiously fervent) Victorian times it was common for girls to be given names that were actually abstract nouns representing things that were pure and virtuous...eg Faith, Hope, Charity, Grace, Honor (always spelt the American way!) Providence, Prudence, even Virtue and Purity themselves.

Isn't that right, ['L-@RISS-@]?"

Ummm..i know people with those names now. yeah.

^^ Joy too.
Mxsmanic   Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:41 am GMT
How about Gene?
Ed   Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:26 pm GMT
What about the amusing Puritan name Preserved, famously carried by a Mr Fish?

In South Africa it is common for blacks to have names that sound amusing to English-speakers, such as Supply, Hygienic or even Train-Passing.