A little search by me... Would you help me, please?

girl who needs help   Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:56 pm GMT
Hi, everyone =)
At first, please, let me apologize for this boring search, but I do need your help.
I'm Czech, so English is a second language for me (as for you - please, forgive me these senteces, but I've written this message not just here, but to another forums, where most of poeple are English). I study it at my school, thought we've got four lessons a week and that's not enough. I read a lot of fan fics, so I've got a little adventage against the others (I haven't heard that they're interested in reading) - that doesn't mean that I don't make mistakes - so, please, don't be angry with me if you find any.
I've been learning English for 8 years and I still think I'm bad beginner...

And now back to the point. I have to do a project for my English lesson. We were learning about wonders of the world (and then of Britain) few days ago, so... yes, we have to do a project about wonders of Czech republic... (though they're rather famous than anything else)
Well, and now it's up to you. No, don't be afraid, I don't want you to write it for me. I just want you to answer a question or two (or three - or all of them =))) ). If you did so, I'd be very glad.

'What do you know about... ?'
'What's the first you're thinking about when you hear... ?'
or just
'Have you ever heard about... ?' (I expect that some of them you won't even know)

Please, write down your age and country, too (great 'thank you' from me (to you, of course))

1) czech beer
2) czech girls
3) Charles IV. - Charles bridge, Charles University
4) Prague - so called 'Golden Prague' or 'Heart of the Europe' - and it's sights
5) czech musicians (classical music) - Smetana, Dvorak
6) czech scientists (for example chemists)
7) occupation in '68
8) velvet revolution in '89
9) the first president of Czechoslovakia Tomas Garrigue Masaryk
10) the first president of Czech Republic (itself, not with Slovakia) Vaclav Havel
11) the fact that word 'robot' was firstly found in czech sci-fi book
and last one: Have you ever listened to czech national anthem? Do you remember it? Did you like it?

That's all. Thank you in advance. You are all wonderful I know it...

PS: the more people the better =)))
Le Vinh Nghi   Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:09 am GMT
Your letter is very interesting,however,i can't understand what you write.So Sorry!
Guest   Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
'What do you know about... ?'

1) czech beer.....nothing

2) czech girls...... nothing but would like to find out

3) Charles IV. - Charles bridge, Charles University....huh

4) Prague - so called 'Golden Prague' or 'Heart of the Europe' - and it's sights... its your capital, thats about it

5) czech musicians (classical music) - Smetana, Dvorak....nothint. I'm noy very cultured

6) czech scientists (for example chemists).. again nothing

7) occupation in '68).. again nothing

8) velvet revolution in '89).. again nothing

9) the first president of Czechoslovakia Tomas Garrigue Masaryk ).. again nothing

10) the first president of Czech Republic (itself, not with Slovakia) Vaclav Havel ).. again nothing

and last one: Have you ever listened to czech national anthem? Do you remember it? Did you like it?......'robot' was firstly found in czech sci-fi book. Well you learn something new every day. Never heard your national anthem.
Chris   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:45 am GMT
1) czech beer...nothing
2) czech girls...nothing
3) Charles IV. - Charles bridge, Charles University...nothing
4) Prague - so called 'Golden Prague' or 'Heart of the Europe' - and it's sights...a capital?
5) czech musicians (classical music) - Smetana, Dvorak-ah, I always thought they were Russian.
6) czech scientists (for example chemists)-- nothing
7) occupation in '68 -- nothing
8) velvet revolution in '89--nothing
9) the first president of Czechoslovakia Tomas Garrigue Masaryk--nothing
10) the first president of Czech Republic (itself, not with Slovakia) Vaclav Havel--what's the difference between the Czech Republic and Czechoslovakia?
11) the fact that word 'robot' was firstly found in czech sci-fi book -- interesting
and last one: Have you ever listened to czech national anthem? Do you remember it? Did you like it?-- I've never heard it. I've heard the French one once though.
Uriel   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:54 am GMT
I knew about the robot thing, and remember learning about the '68 occupation. Other than that, I'm sorry, I run into few references to Czechoslovakia. American, 33.
LE VINH NGHI   Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
I am Chinese, but i was born in Japan and now i am living in Vietnam. I know a little about Czech. Arcording to your "research". I know more about your country.Thank you very much.
A 11 year-old boy in HCM city, Vietnam.
I am a crazy man!
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:23 pm GMT
All my off hand knowledge of Czech Republic, without any reference searches:

1 Czech beer: I know it's popular with Brits on weekend trips to Prague (that's a popular place now for Brit stag night trips...that is, all guys night outs before a guy gets wed). Is the beer Pilsner? Is it very strong?

2 Czech girls: I don't know of any or have knowingly met any.

3 No knowledge of these

4 Prague...of course we've all heard of the capital city!....one of the most beautiful in Europe architecturally.....Wenceslas Square? As I say, Prague is a very popular place for Brits on weekend breaks or longer holidays. My sympathies and apologies to the residents there. LOL

5 Smetana and Dvorak...very famous and I've heard of them. Didn't Smetana write about the river passing through Prague and called the music My River or My Country? Dvorak - New World Symphony?

6 Czech scientists...nope, sorry.

7 Occupation 68 - nothing. Are you sure the date is right as it can't have anything to do with the Germans, could it?

8 Velvet revolution 89 - never heard of it but guess it had something to do with the freedom from Communist Russian rule?

9 No - nothing.

10 No - nothing again

11 No - nothing yet again...sorry.

Age 24 in just under 3 weeks' time. Scotland, UK.
Benjamin   Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:39 pm GMT
I'm almost 17 and am from England, UK.

1) czech beer
— absolutely nothing; I don't drink beer

2) czech girls
— no particular opinion of them generally; I don't tend to hold any particular opinions of 'French girls', 'German girls', 'Polish girls', 'Czech girls' (or boys, for that matter) collevtively

— nothing

4) Prague - so called 'Golden Prague' or 'Heart of the Europe' - and it's sights
— although I haven't been there myself, I know a lot of people who have; some loved it whilst others hated it

— I've heard of them and I'd more than likely recognise some of their compositions if they were played to me; unfortunately, I find it difficult to relate melodies to their composers and titles

— nothing

7) occupation in '68
— I'm with Damian; are you sure that that's the right date?

— I hadn't heard it called this before, but I assume that it has something to do with the end of communism; so ultimately the right way forward if that's the case

— nothing

10) the first president of Czech Republic (itself, not with Slovakia) Vaclav Havel
— nothing in particular

— never heard of that, but I'll take your word for it

12) Have you ever listened to czech national anthem? Do you remember it? Did you like it?
— yes, no and don't remember
Candy   Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:56 pm GMT
<<occupation in '68
— I'm with Damian; are you sure that that's the right date?>>

Of course it's the right date!!!!
Fredrik from Norway   Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:38 pm GMT
I'm 23 years old and from Norway.

1) czech beer
Czechia has a proud beer tradition! Pils was of course invented in Plzen. Ceske Budojowice is famous as the birthplace of Budweiser. Although I enjoy a cool pils on a hot summer's day, I'm a bit angry at Plzen for inventing a beer that became so successful in Norway that it actually wiped out all traces of dark beers in Norway!!!

2) czech girls
I only know one and she's very nice and beautiful.

Karel IV of Luxemburg was the 14th century Emperor / King who founded the Karls-Uni and built the Karluv Most.

Praha is an amazing city and a popular destination for Norwegians. Although it was a bit crowded when I visited it in July I loved it!

Lovely! Everybody knows the Moldau from Ma Vlast (but I don't know which of the two who composed that)

No idea, except that Freud was born in Czechia and he was a scientist!

7) occupation in '68
So sad! My parents told me. All Europe held their breath. The radio played the Moldau all the time. And this poor student who burnt himself to death on the Wenceslavsky namesti.

There was so much happening at that time that I don't know anything specific about the events in Czechia.

A great man!

Another great man! Nice to see a truly intellectual (playwright, wasn't he?) become president!

Yes, so I have heard. Interesting!

and last one:
Have you ever listened to czech national anthem? Do you remember it? Did you like it?
I don't know the national anthem. Is it the Moldau? If so, I love it!

If you want to know what many Norwegians connect Czechia with it's children's movies: The little mole, The two good neighbours (Mat and Pat) and Three nuts for Cinderella (Tri popotski pro Propotska?, the last one is shown at noon every Christmas Eve).
Ed   Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 pm GMT
> 1) czech beer
Yes, I've had these, though I'm not a great fan of beer. They are pretty ppopular here.

> 2) czech girls
Sadly I have had no experience of them

> 3) Charles IV. - Charles bridge, Charles University
I've heard of the Charles Bridge as my parents went to Prague and took a photo of it.

>4) Prague - so called 'Golden Prague' or 'Heart of the Europe' - and it's sights
It seems a very picturesque city.

> 5) czech musicians (classical music) - Smetana, Dvorak
I know of Dvorak and his music.

> 6) czech scientists (for example chemists)
I do not know of any.

> 7) occupation in '68
I've heard of this but personally I don't think it was a bad thing.

> 8) velvet revolution in '89
It was not revolution but counter-revolution.

> 9) the first president of Czechoslovakia Tomas Garrigue Masaryk
Heard of him.

> 10) the first president of Czech Republic (itself, not with Slovakia) Vaclav Havel
Yes, friend of Thatcher wasn't he?

> 11) the fact that word 'robot' was firstly found in czech sci-fi book
Yes, I'd heard of the Czech origin of robot.

> and last one: Have you ever listened to czech national anthem? Do you remember it? Did you like it?
No, I do not know of it. I rather like the Song of the Soviet Union though ;)
Chinaman   Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
“I am Chinese, but i was born in Japan”

You are Japanese, not Chinese.
LVN   Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:28 am GMT
Dear Chinaman,
Why don't you think my father and my mother are Chinese?
Hey   Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:37 pm GMT
Czech will be a champion in this World Cup. And i will hear Czech anthem again in the final match.
Guest   Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
sure, in your dreams commy