English - a language of high-strangeness

Trawick   Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:43 pm GMT
Mandarin has little to no verb conjugation, but context helps.

To be fair, I would argue that a lot of the verb conjugation in Western languages is somewhat unnecessary. For instance, if I say "Yesterday I went to the store," there's little need for me to continually remind my reader of the tense in future sentences. In essence this is the situation in Chinese. A speaker might say "Tuesday I go to the store" and then follow that sentence with "I buy a radish." There's no need to tell the listener again that this is a happening in the past.
greg   Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
Totalement d'accord avec Damian in Edinburgh : Adam, si tous ne faisais le plaisir de t'exprimer autrement que comme un robot ou un primate ? Ça te fairais le plus grand bien (à nous aussi).
Sander   Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
According to (Crappy) Babelfish,Greg said :

"Completely of agreement with Damian in Edinburgh: Adam, if all didn't make the pleasure of differently expressing you than like a robot or a primate? That fairais you the largest good (with us also)."
greg   Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:14 pm GMT
Sander : désolé... J'ai amalgamé deux mots : lire <tu nous> à la place de *<tous ne>.

si tu nous faisais le plaisir de... =
tu pourrais... =
pourquoi ne veux-tu pas... =
ce serait une bonne idée de... =
qu'est-ce que tu dirais de... =
t'as songé à... =
ça t'a pas traversé l'esprit de... =
pourquoi ne pas.. =
et si tu décidais... =
qu'est-ce qui t'empêche de... =
allez, essaie de... .
greg   Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:49 pm GMT
ERRATUM : <et si tu décidais de...> au lieu de *<et si tu décidais... >.
Sander   Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:01 pm GMT
I have no idea what you just said or what you want me to do. /:)
greg   Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:13 am GMT
Sander : es gab einen Fehler ( *<tous ne> ) in dem Satz, daß ich auf französich geschrieben habe. Die richtige Ausdruck ist <tu nous> statt *<tous ne>.

Außerdem habe ich dir mehrere französische Äquivalente für <si tu nous faisais le plaisir de...> dir vorgeschlagen.

Fr <si tu nous faisais le plaisir de t'exprimer ...> ~ De <würdest du freundlich sein und dich ... ausdrücken>.
Sander   Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:49 am GMT
Yes but what did you mean by:

... =

... =

...=

? /:)
greg   Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:07 pm GMT
Daß alle französische Ausdrücke haben die selbe Bedeutung, mehr oder weniger.
naim   Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:26 pm GMT
haw to learn english in the internet, I'm albanian
Tetsuo   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:21 pm GMT
Adam,

Re: Your 07-27-05 9:16 a.m. GMT message

Thank you for the hilarious, witty message.

I am gong to email it to my friends who are struggling to learn English well. I’m quite sure that it will invigorate their enthusiasm for and interest in learning the English language.