open minded

Uriel   Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:52 pm GMT
Close-minded is very common and doesn't sound awkward at all; it's pretty straightforward in it's meaning.
Ed   Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
Wouldn't close-minded by the opposite of far-minded?
Guest   Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:03 am GMT
No. It is the opposite of "open-minded" and it's commonly used in the United States as well.
Astral   Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:06 am GMT
Close-minded is used fairly often here in New England USA.
Uriel   Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:45 pm GMT
Wouldn't close-minded by the opposite of far-minded?

I think of "close" as the opposite of "open". That's "close" with a Z-sound, which is how "close-minded" is usually pronounced.

"Far" would be the opposite of "close" with an S-sound -- and far-minded is not a word I've ever heard.

If you're trying to quibble about writing close-minded vs. closeD-minded, hey, go for it, but in pronunciation the D tends to be lost between the Z and the M. I don't think many people make a distinction between the two in speech, or in spelling. Neither "close-minded" nor "closed-minded" bother me, but to each their own, I suppose.
Jim C, York   Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:55 pm GMT
I think ive had this conversation in my pub before. I think we came to the conclusion that you should just blurt it out and it'll be right.
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
I am trying to quibble, because I'm that sort of person. To me the 'd' is essential.

For example if someone asked "Is the shop open today?" one could reply "The shop is open" or "The shop is closeD" but not "The shop is close". "The shop is opened" would also be correct, but with a slightly different shade of meaning.
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:35 pm GMT
Sort of like when they cut the ribbon at new supermarkets?
"The shop is opened!!! muhahaha!"
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:45 pm GMT
> Sort of like when they cut the ribbon at new supermarkets?
"The shop is opened!!! muhahaha!"

Yes, exactly!
Uriel   Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:43 pm GMT
Uh ... "the shop is open" would work just as well, from a grammatical standpoint. Not sure what you'e quibbling about.
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:43 pm GMT
> Uh ... "the shop is open" would work just as well, from a grammatical standpoint. Not sure what you'e quibbling about.

That is what I said. "The shop is close" is what would be incorrect, with an /s/ rather than /z/ sound and meaning shut rather than nearby.
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:02 pm GMT
** with a /z/ rather than /s/ sound...
Guest   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
Close-minded is a set phrase; the sum of its elements don't need to appear logical.
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:16 pm GMT
I don't regard it as a fixed expression, perhaps it is not in standard British English.
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:06 pm GMT
Obviously it would have to be if millions of people use it.