How to make pronunciation descriptions for learners.

Fredrik from Norway   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:36 am GMT
Correction
Ø in Old Norse:
Written ö, ø or œ
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:42 am GMT
Oh! ;)
Herb   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:25 am GMT
Jim, I was on the dig for two weeks. It was the mediaeval infirmary next to the library - good pub across the road. My bit was beneath the still-standing undercroft near the street, and the only bones we found were animal, but we did uncover a Roman drain still working. The dig was run by the York Archaeological Trust. Hard work but great fun for us enthusiastic amateurs.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
I know where you mean, just inside the museum gardens. You know I remember there being a dig around there at that time, I was going to have a look around but decided not to. You must have gone to Foodies for a sandwhich as well, thats just over the road.
Bob   Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:52 am GMT
These guys are nuts! What are they talking about?
Teresa in Pennsylvania   Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:45 pm GMT
My son's name is Søren, and I know that no one is able to pronounce it. I usually just let them mangle it & don't bother to correct them - he's just a wee one & doesn't care. But when he gets older he might care. Since I already see that he will be a computer genius like his mamma, this is all a very interesting string for me. Have we found the answer? How will he explain to his friend in Singapore the correct way to pronounce his name? (I may have to give up on the Pennsylvanians.)
Guest   Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 pm GMT
What did you expect? How many Europeans can correctly pronounce Chinese names? That's why many Chinese prefer to go by an English name.