casual greeting

daizy hamilton   Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
hey,

You walk to school and you pass by someone and he says:

"how's going?"

"what's up?"

"howdy?"

I was wondering about the answer I should give for such questions...

thank you
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 am GMT
A good ol' "Aye Up", or "Now Then" works a treat in my neck of the woods. Quite often the best way to endear your self with some one is to simply repeat the greating they gave to you. Unless they actualy do want to hear your life story when they ask "how's life?" ;)
Stan   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:19 am GMT
<< he phrase would be "How's it going?" >

I'm not sure if people knowingly say "how's going?," but I know people knowingly say:

"how's the going?"

<< I was wondering about the answer I should give for such questions...>>

"how's going?" RESPONSE = "the going is good"

"what's up?" RESPONSE = "nothin' much, just chillin'"

"howdy?" RESPONSE = " 'howdy Billy-Joe (hillbilly Joe), just watchin' over my prope-ty"
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:22 am GMT
"I'm not sure if people knowingly say "how's going?," but I know people knowingly say:

"how's the going?" "

I don't think people say that. You're probably just mishearing them because of they're talking fast.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 am GMT
"How's it going" is very popular. "Hows the going" isn't so much anymore, its sort of old fashioned. At least with people i talk to.
Boy   Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:30 am GMT
daizy hamilton ,

I am sharing you responses of such questions that I have heard in American movies.

"What's up?" can be both "hi" or "how are you doing?"

What's up?
Answer: "Nothing much, same shit, different day"

or simply "nothing"

"How are you doing?" which is spoken as "How ya doing?"

Answer: I'm good or I'm fine.

or simply "good."

You can also ask: "How's life treating you?" or"What's new?"
These expressions have the same meanin' of "What's up?" so replies would be the same too.
Liam   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:39 am GMT
Re the expression "Hi". It doesn't seem to be a contraction of a more formal word, so where did it come from? Presumably it was an American expression originally, but who first used it, and why?
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:48 am GMT
It was derived from the Middle English "hy", a few centuries before America was settled.
Gest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:24 am GMT
Dreadful, isn't it?
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 am GMT
Nup, it's rather quaint.
Mike   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:01 pm GMT
Hey,

where is the phrase "Howdy?" spoken? is it popular in California?
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:44 pm GMT
Howdy tends to be Southern to Texan, and is regarded as quaint and old-fashioned. You won't hear it much in California (although I did know an elderly transplanted Texan there who used it all the time.)
Alicia   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
Let me share my responses to such greetings:

"What's up" --> "Nothing's up." (Curt response b/c I don't really like the greeting :-p)

"How's it going?" --> "As usual. Hello, ______."

"Howdy!" --> "Hello, hick!" Heehee. (Actually, I've never been greeted this way before.)

And here's my heartfelt advice for daizy hamilton:

Be creative in your responses!
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:55 pm GMT
To me, "hi" pretty much works as an all-purpose response, but apparently it severely pisses off all non-Americans. Why such an innocuous and inoffensive greeting would cause such anger, I don't know, but they go on and on about it.
Candy   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
I use 'hi' all the time. It's really popular in Germany these days, too. I have no idea why it would piss anyone off - strange!