Does it sound right?

whatever   Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:59 am GMT
I just got this cross my mind.

I want to use this to express I just remember something. Wonder if it's grammatically correct and stuff.
lu   Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:32 am GMT
crossing sounds more correct
Guest   Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:28 am GMT
You can say "This just crossed my mind.", but that doesn't necessarily mean you recalled it from memory. It could mean that it was a new idea you just came up with as well.
whatever   Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 pm GMT
Thanks.
whatever   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:25 am GMT
I got another question.
Can I say, to get a good mark requires me to work hard, or do I have to put 'it' there so it would be to get a good mark, it requires me to work hard. I'd like to keep 'to do something' form over 'doing something'. So how can I make it right?
Uriel   Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:53 am GMT
No, you don't need "it". In fact, "it" would make it less grammatically correct.
Guest   Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:12 am GMT
By "mark", do you mean "grade"?

If so, I would say "Getting good grades requires hard work."
whatever   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:26 pm GMT
Yes, I mean garde. Thanks for the replies.
lu   Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:22 am GMT
In some countries marks are used instead of grades.
They don't use ABCD, but figures like 100 which is the highest.
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:26 am GMT
"Mark" and "grade" mean the same thing. It's just that "grade" is what's used in the United States.
abc   Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:44 am GMT
"In some countries marks are used instead of grades.
They don't use ABCD, but figures like 100 which is the highest."
agreed.
You also forgot the grade that I happen to get the most: F
;o)
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 am GMT
Mark and grade are not the same thing. First your paper is marked, say 15 out of 20, which gives you a percentage, in this case 75%, then marks/percentages are graded to ABC et cetera. If you managed to get 19 marks, you achieved 95%, and so you were graded within the A band.
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:36 am GMT
In California, where I live, a grade can mean a letter or a number, and we don't use "mark" at all. So, I don't know where you got that from, but that's not the way it is around here.
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:59 am GMT
Well, you might grade an exam paper overall but where there's only one correct answer for a question, it's marked right or wrong.
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:10 am GMT
Of course we use it as a verb (e.g. "Number 1 got marked wrong.") (past participle in that case), but never as a noun. No one ever says "What mark did you get on that paper?" It's simply not used here. We would say "What grade did you get on that paper?" Either "95%" or "A" could be used as an answer, though "A" would be more common. To ask for "95%" specifically, you would say "What percentage did you get?", never "What mark did you get?"