polish surnames

marie36   Sat May 06, 2006 2:27 pm GMT
could any one tell me if the name sherashuck is spelt correct im trying to find family but dont know the correct spelling
Roger   Mon May 08, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
Marie,

No, I don't think so. Sounds strange. I suppose you have come to it by trial and error. The closest form would be 'szeraszuk' which I still find pretty far from familiar spellings even though it sounds more, naturally.

Can you give any more clues that will help me track this down?

Roger
JakubikF   Tue May 09, 2006 4:31 pm GMT
Do you know how this surname sounds? If you know the pronounciation, please record it and give us a link.

I agree with Roger that the spelling could be "szeraszuk" but it doesn't sound like the original polish surname. Examples like "Kowaliski, Wiśniowiecki, Gąbrowicz, Narutowicz" are more polish, I'd say. However, who knows - that kind of surname can exist though.
dan   Wed May 10, 2006 5:17 pm GMT
if I was to read 'sherashuck' it would sound more like 'szeraszak'.

both 'szeraszak' and 'szeraszuk' sound polish to me. I know people with surnames like: 'kabaczuk', 'walczak', 'bartczak', 'szymczak'.
Easterner   Wed May 10, 2006 7:04 pm GMT
The closest match I have found on the net is Serachuk, which would be spelt Seraczuk in Polish. Names like this, ending in "-chuk" or "-czuk" are of Ukrainian origin (cf. the name of former Ukrainian president Leonid Kravchuk).
Roger   Thu May 11, 2006 2:42 pm GMT
Yeah, Easterner may be right about Ukrainian connotation. Same idea occurred to me when studying the name. Obviously, we need more clues on that name.
marie   Mon May 15, 2006 7:24 am GMT
thanks guys i think the way easterner as spellt it is correct serachuk. all i knew was his dad was polish and his mum italian he lived in doncaster but moved to either newquay or torquay uve been a big help thanx guys xx
angel   Wed May 24, 2006 5:40 am GMT
hello...im trying to find my dad..ive never met him before i only know how to pronounce his name ...maybe someone can help me spell it... wiesek paczuk or wieslaw paszuk...im not sure
Lizzie   Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:58 am GMT
Hello, I'm trying to learn about my heritage, but I can't seem to find any records with my family name, which is Sozonchuk. I was wondering if anyone knew a different way it could be spelled?
Georgero   Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:13 am GMT
Sozon was a Christian and he is celebrated in Eastern Orthodox Calendar as a Saint and martyre.
-chuk, as far as I know is an Ukrainian suffix, probably of nomad Tartar or Mongol origin. See similarities in Eskimo (see Chuckchi people and Chukotka Autonomous Region in far East today Russia) and also in Asiatic languages, but of course, it is just a guess.

Sozon was a holy Martyr and he was a shepherd in Lycaonia (In ancient geography, Lycaonia was a large region in the interior of Asia Minor, north of Mount Taurus. It was bounded on the east by Cappadocia, on the north by Galatia, on the west by Phrygia and Pisidia, while to the south it extended to the chain of Mount Taurus, where it bordered on the country popularly called in earlier times Cilicia Tracheia and in the Byzantine period Isauria; source>wiki). Born a pagan, named Tarasius, he received holy Baptism and was renamed Sozon. Filled with zeal for the truth, he taught his countrymen to desist from the worship of idols. Once he entered the temple of Artemis in Pompeiopolis of Cilicia, cut off the golden hand of the idol, and breaking it in pieces, distributed it among the poor. When he saw that many were being unjustly punished for the theft, of his own accord he gave himself up to Maximilian the Governor. He was beaten with rods until his bones were broken. According to some, he suffered martyrdom in 288; according to others, in 304.
Saint Sozon's emblem in art is a pair of shoes with spikes through them.

The ethymology of the name Sozon could be Sarmatian, but I'll let you the pleasure to discover this ;)

I hope this helped a bit... I'm finding origin of surnames as being fascinating. I tracked down my surname too and I found out some unbelievable similarities...
JakubikF   Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 pm GMT
In my opinion your family surname in Polish should be spelt "Sozończuk". You would ask why I use ń (soft n - something like n+i). Pronunciation Sozonczuk wouldn't be natural for Pole. Hard n before cz (ch) doesn't sound good and it's hard to pronounce.

As far as I'm conserned (if we bet it's ukrainian surname) in Ukrainian we should also pronounce it with soft "n", perhaps like that Созоньчук.
Lizzie   Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:53 am GMT
Wow, thanks you guys!!! This really helps!
mark   Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:46 pm GMT
i'm haveing trouble finding out about my lastname. could anyone lend me a hand. all i know that's it's polsih and would like to learn more. you can contact me via email mydlenski_m75@yahoo.com thank you.

Mark J. Mydlenski
Rybicki   Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:23 pm GMT
I would just like to know how to pronounce my last name. can anyone help????
tony sacharczuk   Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:05 pm GMT
my surname is (spelt) sacharczuk (prononuced) sir-har-chuck .
my father came from small village called zyczyn (nr radon) poland
not quite the same but may help.
ttony@yahoo.co.uk