I wanna speak Irish accent

irishgirl   Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 pm GMT
hi, i am Irish, but live in America. I want to learn how speak with an Irish accent because it has been lost down the generations. I like the way I talk now, that isn't the problem. I would like to know an Irish accent though, I have coaching on a British accent for a play I was in, and would love to be able to speak in an Irish accent as well.
irishgirl   Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:32 pm GMT
if you know some tips or websites with tips on how to speak with an Irish accent, please say so : )

thanks!!
Katie   Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 am GMT
I'm from Bradford and I really don't like my accent! I think it makes me sound common :(
I would love to be able to do a proper Irish accent, although my mum says it is naturally quite good. I practice all the time (people think I'm talking to myself :P)
People from Liverpool and Merseyside would be good at Irish accents I imagine, as they aren't that far from Ireland are they? So I suppose it makes sense.
JeLèK   Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:08 am GMT
All I know is that in the Irish accent, three is pronounced as tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qYiBfbWFH8

There is an example of the Irish accent in a less than tree minutes short film. ;-)
ZMR   Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 pm GMT
Well Rick, seeing as there is also a New York Times and many other "Times" in other cities, an American probably would call the one in London the London Times.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
The majority of people on Merseyside (Liverpool, Birkenhead and North Wirral) are of Irish origin due to the huge influx of Irish people into the area during the 19th century as a means of escaping the great famine in Ireland at that time. As a result Merseyside has the highest concentration of Roman Catholics in the entire UK (outside of parts of Greater London) and the distinctive Scouse accent has direct links with the Irish. For example, a lot of Scousers say "da" instead of "the" and "dis" instead of "this" and such like. The "th" sound has always proved difficult for Irish people, and this seems to be the case for a lot of Scousers as well, unless of course they are deliberately perpetuating their heritage in this way.