Albanian relations with other indoeuropeen languages

Bianca   Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:04 pm GMT
If it's not proof of similarity then what would you call it?
Well as long as we are on the subject of vocabulary...
I was looking up a word when I found this in a Latin dictionary: pacalis-e: prevestitor de pace roman = roman peace announcer, or something like that in English. What I found funny was that in Romanian we have a character from literature who is known to be nothing else than a prankster named Păcală. This character is from long ago and has a pretty bad reputation even though most laugh at his tricks.
Georgero   Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:26 am GMT
Interesting. There is also the verb "a păcăli = to fool".
Arber Z   Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm GMT
Regarding thik-e/a (knife), probably sicario (lat. sicarivs) is originated from this. Sicario means criminal, murderer.
Arber Z   Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:34 pm GMT
@Bianca, the misspelled words, you can find them in the other thread (albanian a strange language)
Georgero   Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:16 am GMT
@Arber

Sicario means murderer. But not any kind of murderer. An assassin which uses a special curved knife to kill.
Romanians have these words too, but very rarely used (I'm not sure if they have the origin mainly from Latin, most probably they are loan words from Italian and they are not at all oftenly used).

sica = small knife with curved blade
and also
sicar = Assasin, payed killer

It is interesting to notice that curved blade wasn't common for Romans.
Arber Z   Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:18 pm GMT
Yes it is true, Sicario comes from sica, and sica was a knife, not common to the romans. The similarity between sica and thika, s goes to th, made me think this is one word that should be counted as illyrian-thracian
Georgero   Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:22 am GMT
Probably Illyrian. The Dacian word for short curved knife was "daga". Current Romanian word "dagă". Interesting about this is that Dacians defending Roman Empire in England left the word in English language: "dagger".
So, "sica" probably is not Dacian and Romans could, indeed took it from another language.
greg   Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
Arbër Zaimi,

La seule fois où j'ai entendu de l'albanais c'était en regardant un reportage à la télé sur Enver Hoxha — ou Hodja — (qui d'ailleurs a passé une partie de sa jeunesse à Montpellier). Je ne sais pas si la langue que j'entendais était du guègue (voyelles nasales) ou du tosque (pas de voyelle nasale), mais je fus frappé par la sonorité de l'albanais : ça ne m'a pas semblé extraordinairement différent du français, sémantisme mis à part.

Sinon, Ismaïl Kadaré est assez connu (et apprécié) en France.
Luis Zalot   Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:22 pm GMT
Georgero wrote:

Probably Illyrian. The Dacian word for short curved knife was "daga". Current Romanian word "dagă". Interesting about this is that Dacians defending Roman Empire in England left the word in English language: "dagger".
So, "sica" probably is not Dacian and Romans could, indeed took it from another language.

--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wrote;

Spanish: Daga
Romanian: Dagă
Dacian: Daga
English: Dagger
Italian: Pugnale
French: Poignard

[14th century. Origin uncertain: perhaps formed from obsolete dag “to stab”; or ultimately from Old Provençal or Old Italian daga , literally “Dacian knife,” ultimately from Latin Dacia , a region that roughly coincides with modern Romania.]
Arber Z   Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:18 am GMT
Dear Greg
Excuse me for not answering in french, but I really am afraid of making mistakes (I know you dont like that). But, I understand pretty well that language. Now, regarding albanian language, it is true it has a nice sonority (I would say musicality, as most of those who hear it the first time think that people are singing). Standard Albanian has 36 sounds, all related to the 36 letters of the alphabet. This language is an artificial one, mostly built on the Tosk (tosque) dialect, but as it is standard and achademical, it is not spoken but in the institutions. It is a simplified version of spoken albanian (regarding sonority). The spoken albanian is generally divided in two main dialects, Geg (ghegue) in the north of Shkumbin River and Tosk (south). But each of this dialects varies in several forms as we move from region to other region. In all, to pronounce well the albanian dialects, you should be able to give voice to more than 70 different sounds. The one you have heard, probably should have been in standard albanian, and you probably found it familiar because of the sonority and musicality (le francais aussi est une langue d'une sonorite remarquable).
Marius   Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:30 pm GMT
Well, Modern Romanian shares 300 words with Albanian.

The Romanians before the Roman conquest were Dacians, many Dacians migrated south of the Danube to present day Albania. The Albanians could be the Non-Romanised Dacians – a Thracian family. At least that’s one theory that makes sense. Other Pro-Albanian theories are fantasies. And that is the only explanation of the 300 words shared by Romanian and Albanian.

“The Dacian language was an Indo-European language spoken by the ancient Dacians. It may have been the first language to influence the Latin spoken in Dacia, but there is very little knowledge about it. About 300 words found only in Romanian (in all dialects) or with a cognate in the Albanian language may be inherited from Dacian, many of them being related to pastoral life (for example: balaur=dragon; brânza=cheese; mal=shore; see: Eastern Romance substratum).

Some linguists have asserted that Albanians are Dacians who were not Romanized, and migrated south.”
greg   Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:18 am GMT
Arber Z : merci pour ces précieuses infos !

Luis Zalot :
« Spanish: Daga
Romanian: Dagă
Dacian: Daga
English: Dagger
Italian: Pugnale
French: Poignard »
Il y a aussi Fr <dague> [dag] ainsi que toutes les formes de l'ancien français : AF <dague> <dage> <daghe> <daggue> <daigue> <daygue> <dager> <dagar> <dagere> <dagger> <daggere>.
Portugais <adagua> <adaga> <daga> ? Italien <daga>. Interlingua <daga>. Occitan (ancien et moderne) <daga>. Catalan <daga>.
L'étymon anglais est d'origine française.
iliri   Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 am GMT
how about word Bukuresht,in albanian that mean "is beatifull".
Georgero   Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:37 pm GMT
Interesting.
"Eşti bucuros" in Romanian.
"Bucurie" means joy, delight, gladness in Romanian.
Of course, Bucureşti pronounced absolutely the same (excepting that short "i" in the end) is the local name of Romanian capital. Romanian linguists consider "Bucurie" as being of Daco-Thracian origin. The word only exists in Romanian and Albanian language.
A legend says that a shephard named Bucur was the one that established the city. But, of course, there are not any written documents to prove that.
The city was first mentioned in 1459 but probably is 200 years older than that. There were some Archaeological sites which proofed that it was inhabitted mainly by free Dacian tribes and proto-Romanians but also Magyars, Sarmatians and Gothic tribes traces were found in the first millenium.
It became the capital of Wallachia in the time of Gheorghe Ghica, a prince with Albanian origins.
deti   Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 pm GMT
do te doja qe ta kisha lobrin e Luigi Cavalo Sforza qe flet per origjinen shume te lashte te shqiptareve. Dicka kam lexuar diku qe mbreti ilir rreth 1250 Hyllusi eshte dukur afersisht ne te njejten kohe me zhdukjen e nje popullsije qe jetonte ne zonat malore te zagrosit ose ne menyre me te pergjithshme ne Mesopotami. Njekohesisht ne kete shkrim kishte edhe dicka per shqiponjen e cila mbrohej prej tij (Luigi) si nje simbol i sjelle bashke me fisnikerine e lashte nga pasardhesit e popullsise se zhkukur ne Mesopotami. Do te doja qe dikush te me ndihmonte te gjeja kete liber qe me duket se fillon me fjalet :Gjenezat, levizjet e popullsive dhe dicka tjeter.