Albanian relations with other indoeuropeen languages

todosmentira   Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:51 pm GMT
Deti

unë dua ta lexoj shkrimin tuaj, por është më i veshtirë për t'i gjetur fjalët në fjalor pa letra ë
e dini që ju mund ta shkruani siç: alt + 0235
gjithastu për letra ç : alt + 0231
?
Steve   Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:51 am GMT
Here you can find stuff about him and his books. He is a big name in scientific community today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalli-Sforza
Alba   Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 pm GMT
Albanian also has common words with Italian, Turkish, and Russian, but I dont think its related to any other languages especially not Greek.

Italian-note--Albanian--nate--night

Italian-nonna--Albanian--nena--grandmother, also mother

Italian-tavola--Albanian--tavolina--table

Turkish--mysafir--Albanian--guest

Turkish, Albanian--penxhere--window

Russian, Albanian--plazh--beach

Russian, Albanian--caj(pronounced chai)--tea

Italian--macchina--Albanian--makine, makina--car

Turkish, Albanian,--tenxhere(a type of pan)

So i dont think why some of you are saying Albanian is closer to Romanian, its closer to Greek, its not close to any of them those are just loan words all the languages in the world have loan words.
Irrintzi   Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:08 am GMT
Albaniara ez zara bakarra!
Albanian You isn't alone!

In europe, Basque is other no-indoeuropean language (also proto-indoeuropean), i'm interesting to know some informations about that language (Albanian)!
Rom   Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:32 am GMT
Alba must be right.Albanian is unrelated language espeacially to greek.
how could be? if had relations,then it could be easy to chronologize it.
Irrintzi   Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:59 am GMT
I know 80 albanian no-indoeuropean words are related with basque (linguistically we can't say that Albanian is related with Basque, because Spanish and Japanese have approximately the same number of related words), the "cousin" can be etruscan with 250 related words.
Other comparison with the 2 people, the morphology and the physionomy, the ethnologues and geneticians say that Basques don't look like to Albanians.
a map about cephalic analyze: the cranium's size of the european peoples :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Ripley_map_of_cephalic_index_in_Europe.png

Without any modesty it was said that the Basque were the Europe oldest people, so Albanian as well as the other peoples would have immigrated eastward during the end of the last glaciation (it's a Hypothese)

the comparison of Haplogroup V mutation:
http://ma.prehistoire.free.fr/v.jpg
Arbër Z   Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
Irrintxi, you are probably right, the basque is one of the oldest languages of the world.
Regarding the Albanian, well its true that indoeuropeans invaded the balcans between the 4 and the 2 millenium (disputed). Anyway this countries werent empty, there were people there who spoke other languages. This languages dissapeared with time, but never completely. The albanian, which is a descendant (the only) of illyrian (or illyro-thracian) may have inherited some words from the pre-indoeuropean settlers, actually they may have inherited many. This is the only way to explain common vocabulary between basque - ethruscan - albanian.
Anyway, would you please post the words you mentioned, that are similar in Basque and Albanian?
Regarding physiacal similarity, I dont believe in races etc, but basques and north easters spaniards (catalans and galicians) look very similar to albanians, unlikely the southern, who look more like greeks
Regards
Irrintzi   Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 pm GMT
ok, thank for your answer!
I don't know really the words who corresponding between basque and albanian, then, i looked to wikipedia:
french albanian pronunciation:
terre| tokë | /tɔk(ə)/
ciel | qiell | /ciɛɫ/
eau | ujë | /uj(ə)/
feu | zjarr | /zjar/
homme | burrë | /bur(ə)/
femme | grua | /gɾua/
manger | ha | /ha/
boire | pi | /pi/
grand | i madh | /i mað/
petit | i vogël | /i vɔgəl/
nuit | natë | /nat(ə)/
jour | ditë | /dit(ə)/

I saw similarities (i suppose):
the sky, in albanian qiell, and in basque zeru (latin origin, caelum)
the water, in albanian ujë, and in basque ura (unknow origin, maybe a proto-idiom)
eat, in albanian ha, and in basque jan (may be a similarity, the 2 words are monosyllabic)

the others
earth
Alb. tokë Bas. lur(ra)
tall
Alb. i magh Bas. handi
small
Alb. i vogël Bas. tiki, tipi, txiki
day
Alb. ditë (latin origin) Bas. egun
night
Alb.natë (latin origin) Bas. gau
man
Alb. burrë Bas. gizon
woman
Alb. grua Bas. andere
fire
Alb. zjarr Bas. su(a)

If you see the grammar, the sentence's construction in basque is Subject-Object-Verb, in Albanian Subject-Verb-Object.
The numeral systems in Basque and in Albanian have similarities , the basque system is vigesimal (numeral system based on twenty) as Native American languages:
hamar (10)
hogoi (20)
hogoi'ta hamar (20+10 hogoi:20, hamar:10, 'ta:eta:and)
berrogoi (40:20x2 bi:2, Hogoi:20)
berrogoi'ta hamar (50:20x2+10)
hirurogoi (60: 30x2 hiru:3, hogoi:20)
hirurogoi 'ta hamar (70: 30x2+10)
laurogoi (80: 4x20 lau:4, hogoi:20)
laurogoi'ta hamar (90: 4x20+10)
ehun (100)
the Albanian start to count with the vigesimal system:
Twenty (njëzet)
40 (dyzet) means two times 20.
a coincidence, or a historic fact, the french use soixante (60), soixante-dix(60+10), quatre-vingts (4x20), and quatre-vingts-dix (4x20+10) and in the middle-age the old french used vingt et dix (20+10, 30), deux vingts (2x20, 40), trois vingts (3x20, 60), ; the Vikings are probably the precursors, but the Gauls and the Celts in general used this vigesimal system before...

Another language who really corresponded with Basque is Georgian.

Basque Prononciation :

The vowel system is the same as Spanish for most speakers. It consists of five pure vowels, /i e a o u/. Speakers of the Souletin dialect also have a sixth, front rounded vowel (represented in writing by ü but pronounced /ø/, much like german ö or sometimes french u), as well as a set of contrasting nasalized vowels.
The j is prononced as the spanish jota, or in France a palatal /die/
The r is compared as a "wet" L, the "rr" is rolled.
The z is similar as a "S" (as SyStem)
The s is similar as a small "Sh"
The x is similar as a "Sh"
The g is always as "gu" never as "g" of German
c, q, w, y don't exist.

The past:
the basque origin is unknown nowadays, many hypotheses exist:

Iberian: another ancient language once spoken in the peninsula, shows several similarities with Aquitanian and Basque. However, there is not enough evidence to distinguish areal contacts from genetic relationship. Iberian itself is considered an isolate.

Georgian: The Georgian hypothesis, linking Basque to South Caucasian or Kartvelian languages, seems now widely discredited.
Northeast Caucasian languages, such as Chechen, are more likely candidates for a very distant connection.

Dene-Caucasian superfamily. Based on the possible Caucasian link, some linguists have proposed including Basque in the Dene-Caucasian superfamily of languages, but the existence of this proposed superfamily would include languages from North America and Eurasia, and is deemed controversial.

Vasconic languages: This theory, proposed by German linguist Theo Vennemann, claims that there is enough toponymical evidence to conclude that Basque is the only survivor of a larger family that once extended throughout most of Europe, and has also left its mark in modern Indo-European languages spoken in Europe.
Alba   Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
todosmentira wher are u from?
Guest   Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:08 am GMT
<<todosmentira wher are u from? >>

And you?
Arbër Z   Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
alba, what can she be, if not alba-nian?

anyway, i know that name si used in other european countries, especially in romance cultures.

Regarding albanian, it has 36 letters, which relate to 36 different sounds in its alphabet. This letters are meant to describe 36 sounds, which are enough for pronouncing the standard language, but if you want to pronounce the dialects, well you should be able to pronounce at least twice more. Many albanologues find albanian one of the richest languages phonetically. This (phonetic multitude) makes albanian a very hard language to learn, but it makes it very easy for albanians to pronounce other languages. Albanians (well learned, or excperienced ones) are fine pronouncers of english, french, spanish, greek, scandinavian, slavic, and even turkish or finnish languages.

Albanian grammar is also very complicated (very rich). It preserved many of the old characteristics fo IE languages. It has 8 verb tenses, and six moods for verbs. It has preserved also five cases for the nouns and pronouns. There is plenty of material online, i.e wikipedia on this, anyway, for every question you might have, feel free to ask.

regarding basque - albanian, pig in basque was zerri, in albanian derri

anyway the most related language to albanian is romanian (actually aromanian is even more related).
adriatik   Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
I am so surprised seeing my condiderations about albanian histori under the name "deti"
Elio   Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:58 am GMT
I am not a linguist but I always wanted to know this. Waiting for the bus I heard a girl saying in her phone something like "Te pu" or "Te puc" just before she hung up. I was positive that she was Albanian but my friend told me that he knew her and she is Romanian. Can any Romanian friend know if such an expression exist in Romanian? Just for the record "Të puç" or "Të puth" in Albanian means "I kiss you".
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 am GMT
In Romanian "Te Pup" means I kiss you.

Romanian girl,
linguist:)
Guest   Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:15 pm GMT
Romanian "a pupa" comes Latin "puppare",so no big deal,unless the Albanian word is borrowed from Romanian or even Latin.