American Accents

Kirk   Sat May 20, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
<<I've only sent one plate back in a restaurant, ever. It was an expensive dish, sadly riddled with cumin, which I despise. and I didn't want to be saddled with a big bill for a plate I wasn't going to be able to choke down. Other than that (and I felt bad -- not the restaurant's fault I don't like that particular spice) I think it's rude, unless the food is undercooked or something like that. >>

Yeah actually yesterday I went out for coffee with some friends and I went to one of my favorite coffee places (Peet's, if anyone's familiar with them--I think they're mostly in California but they're in some other places now, too) and I ordered what I nearly always order--a double latte. What I got was definitely not what I normally ordered and to top it off it wasn't that hot. I felt kind of bad asking but it wasn't what I ordered and it didn't taste right. I've ordered it a million times and gotten the same good product every time so I knew it was off. The guy behind the counter said it still looked like a latte to him but he just took it and made another one which ended up being perfect. Something must've gotten messed up when they made the first one (even tho he probably didn't realize it). Since we had just been talking about this subject here I of course thought about it and I was glad that here the customer is nearly always given the benefit of the doubt (even if the people behind the counter secretly think or know the customer is wrong).

When I myself worked at a smoothie/juice place (Jamba Juice) several years ago the biggest importance was placed on making sure the customer was happy. It didn't matter if it was their fault that they dropped their smoothie or they ordered something that had an ingredient in it they didn't like (despite the fact that all ingredients are listed clearly in the store for each smoothie). We weren't even supposed to ask questions--if the customer for any reason at all found something off (no matter how stupid the reason) with their smoothie we just cheerfully made a new one. I think the owners really understand that it's worth taking small cuts and losses here and there when overall you make a really favorable impression on a customer. That customer may have to have a smoothie remade once a year but if they're pleased with the response and customer service they'll end up coming back twice or thrice weekly. In the end it's simply just good business sense.

Funny enough, the topic came up again yesterday while I was at a restaurant and my friend (who's an RA at the International House at my university) said her international residents often comment they're surprised when workers at places like grocery stores here ask them how they're doing or what they're doing for the weekend. The international students generally say they're not used to being asked friendly questions or even being talked at all to while doing mundane things like buying bread or milk.
Rick Johnson   Sun May 21, 2006 7:56 am GMT
Since we don't usually put custard on desserts (and we would mean something different by the word "custard" anyway, just as we mean something different when we say "pudding").

What's custard in the US?

What's pudding in the US?
Jim C, Jorvicskyre   Sun May 21, 2006 8:16 am GMT
Tipping is an interesting one, I know that waiters etc. don't get paid an awfull lot in the US, so tipping is very important. So we tipped everywhere. Here its slightly different, generaly you tip enough for the waiter to buy a couple of drinks, its probably to do with the fact that you are not allowed to tip barstaff, so you just say "get one for your self" when paying, tips are worked out in booze!

Service was always very good where ever we wen't (wasn't sure whether it was becasue we were in such a touristy place). Over enthusiastic waiters etc. don't sit well with my family, its kind of off putting, "why are they so bleeding happy? they're suposed to be working?", but generaly when we were in the US, it didn't bother us, as its just your way.

"Funny enough, the topic came up again yesterday while I was at a restaurant and my friend (who's an RA at the International House at my university) said her international residents often comment they're surprised when workers at places like grocery stores here ask them how they're doing or what they're doing for the weekend. The international students generally say they're not used to being asked friendly questions or even being talked at all to while doing mundane things like buying bread or milk. "

You would get some odd looks over here, if you started asking strangers what they were going to do over the weekend, people would think it was a bit suspect, rather than friendly. Maybe thats a bit of a shame? or does it make a difference to how happy you are day to day?
Hansen   Sun May 21, 2006 8:27 am GMT
Good questions indeed about desserts..

>>Unless you truly make an ass out of yourself <<

Is that "ass" (donkey) as in Commonwealth English, or "aaaaaggghhhssss" (= arse) as in US speech? Quite different meanings, jocular as against somewhat improper. Americans abroad should bear in mind that "arse" and the US version meaning the same thing are considerably less socially acceptable in countries other than their own. The same applies to "butt", which sounds much cruder than "bum" to a non-American. And "fanny" is a definite no-no.

Do Americans ever pronounce the word "ass" (as in donkey), with the really short A used in Commonwealth countries to refer to the animal?
Lazar   Sun May 21, 2006 3:47 pm GMT
I've always been under the impression that "ass", in the expression "to make an ass (out) of oneself" refers to a donkey, as in "jackass".

<<Do Americans ever pronounce the word "ass" (as in donkey), with the really short A used in Commonwealth countries to refer to the animal?>>

If you're referring to the use of the checked vowel phoneme /{/, rather than the free vowel phoneme /A/, then Americans pronounce both versions of the word with the former. I've never known there to be a distinction of pronunciation between "ass" (rear section) and "ass" (donkey) in American English - for us, they're homographs and homophones.
Gabriel   Sun May 21, 2006 11:24 pm GMT
Interestingly, my pronunciation dictionary (LPD) has, for "ass" /{s/ and "as a term of abuse, also BrE /A:s/". For "arse", it says BrE /A:s/, AmE /{s/ or /A:rs/.
Guest   Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 am GMT
What's custard in the US?

A dairy-based dessert that uses eggs or some type of gelling agent to make it "set" when cool. Think flan or creme brulee.
http://amyyard.agoodday.com/images/custard(middle).gif

What's pudding in the US?

Similar to mousse, though it has a creamier texture. Not as firm as custard.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/images/pudding.jpg

"Ass" is always pronounced with a short A (as in "cat") in the US, whether you're referring to a donkey or a rear end. It's never long, as in "father". And ass in the second sense is generally considered pretty crude or at least blunt by Americans.
Hansen   Mon May 22, 2006 8:20 am GMT
I've never heard a north American pronounce "ass" with a really short A, but to my ear they say "cat" pretty much as people from UK/AU/NZ/SA do. They seem to draw out a short A, as in "ass", and shorten a cockney broad A, as in "dance". The way they pronounce "dance" is also used widely in AuE, but I've heard nobody else make that particular sound they use in "ass" and fast".

No doubt the many students and recent graduates among us will have symbols (and hopefully understandable descriptions instead of the jargon) for these sounds which distinguish each of them from what a layman would call a short or a broad A.
Guest   Mon May 22, 2006 9:10 am GMT
Hansen,

In American English, there's normally no phonemic distinction between such a long vowel /{:/ and a short vowel /{/ as in the word "ass". So the length might be perceived by outsiders as something in between, but rarely as short. However, stress and intontation often renders the vowel long.
Guest   Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 am GMT
* However, stress and intonation often render the vowel long.
Dennis   Mon May 22, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
I am a Chiese boy,who is a grade 2 college student in a small city in China ,and studying in English major now.We just have three oral teacher,two Ameicans and one Swidish.
Many students prounonce in a unstanderd way include myself.So our oral teachers coouldn't understand us clearly.Sometimes we understand each other .Could you tell me how can we corret the pronouciation .
By the way,most of us haven't practised our prounuciation perfectly before we came to this school.I'v motivated to do my accent practice,but
I found it's hard to persit.
Uriel   Wed May 24, 2006 10:45 am GMT
Oops, that was me answering the custard/pudding question.

As far as I know, an American "ass" rhymes with "pass" or "gas" (no puns intended ;p). I don't know how that A differs significantly from the one in "cat".
Uriel   Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 pm GMT
Dennis, if you talk to English speakers, I think you will naturally correct your pronunciation not only by hearing the correct pronunciation but by being forced to speak intelligibly to make yourself understood -- not having to repeat yourself over and over is a powerful motivator!

I noticed when I took Chinese that we all started off trying to approximate the speach of the people on tape, but by the middle of the semester we were beginning to normalize our pronunciations against the other student's accents, instead of the native speakers' -- much to our teacher's dismay. Not a good idea! But very human, unfortunately.
Kirk   Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:06 pm GMT
<<As far as I know, an American "ass" rhymes with "pass" or "gas" (no puns intended ;p). I don't know how that A differs significantly from the one in "cat".>>

It can for some Americans in the Northeast. It varies according to region but some Americans would have the dipthong [ge@s] for "gas" but [k_h{t] for "cat." In fact I specifically remember one time making an audio recording of myself where I happened to mention "gas" (which I pronounce the same as "cat," both with [{] or [a]) and a girl from Pennsylvania commented that my vowel in "gas" sounded funny to her because I used the same vowel as in "cat," where she makes a distinction.