Latin dialects

Aldo_b   Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 pm GMT
I have to accept that you are right dutchman but like it or not Latin still lives in all Romance languages.
Guest   Tue May 16, 2006 8:16 pm GMT
nope.
Aldo_b   Tue May 16, 2006 8:32 pm GMT
Yeap
greg   Thu May 18, 2006 4:59 am GMT
« Guest » : tu te trompes sur tous les points que tu évoques (avec rage).
Guest   Thu May 18, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
Latin is not dead because today we have a sufficient knowledge of it to learn or to teach it. Some people are able today to use it.

Italian, spanish, portuguese, french, rumanian, catalan, arragonese... are latin languages!
Because languages evolved but their origins cannot be deleted. If you compare english in 2006 and english spoken 500 years before, a lot of differences have occured but it is english. It is stil a saxon language.
Guest   Thu May 18, 2006 2:26 pm GMT
lol, "Latin languages" "Saxon Language" lol YOU MUST BE A LINGUIST *SARCASM*

THERE WAS ONLY ***ONE*** LATIN LANGUAGE
Guest   Thu May 18, 2006 5:58 pm GMT
<<THERE WAS ONLY ***ONE*** LATIN LANGUAGE>>

So what? Dutch dialect comes from German language and German still lies on it. Dutch is almost German.
Jav   Thu May 18, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
Although I fail to see the point of this discussion, I do wonder why Aldo b posted the following sentence;

>>I have to accept that you are right dutchman but like it or not Latin still lives in all Romance languages. <<

Why do you call this guest/troll Dutch? I can't see any reason for you to do so.

Then on a more linguistic matter (although the person is trying to agitate someone) ;

>>So what? Dutch dialect comes from German language and German still lies on it. Dutch is almost German.<<

Dutch is not a German dialect, it in fact is older than German.
And in a more political way ... Dutch is a standard language and thus cannot, by definition be the dialect of another language.

Funny thing though, the claim that German is a Dutch dialect is easier to "prove" than the other way around.
Aldo_b   Thu May 18, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
<<Why do you call this guest/troll Dutch? I can't see any reason for you to do so. >>

I do know that this "guest" acts like a so called "troll". For a second I thought he could be Sander in disguise so I wanted to put a bait. Strangely, he/she didn't denied it. The differences in time among Greg posts (assuming he is in France) and my posts (in America) tells me that probably he/she and you Jav are in the American continent too. Another reason is that the few Dutchmen I know in Antimoon somehow show some kind of dislike for latin languages and can be found in latin related threads (like this one), and being Dutchmen, posting anti-latin comments.
Aldo_b   Thu May 18, 2006 8:44 pm GMT
<<didn't deny it>> Argh!
Benjamin   Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 pm GMT
It's not that they dislike Latin-derived languages. It's that they dislike the way in which the weird and wonderful concept of 'Latin identity' often seems to translate to a hatred of anything 'Germanic', at least on here. Of course, since there is no 'Germanic identity', it is an extremely difficult subject for us ignorant 'Germanics' to understand.
Aldo_b   Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
Deep inside, your sarcasm reflects yours and others' feelings against roman languages. That's sad.
Benjamin   Thu May 18, 2006 10:25 pm GMT
Alors je suis donc hypocrite car je parle couramment le français. Penses-tu vraiment que j'aurais appris le français si j'ai detesté les langues latines ?
Jav   Thu May 18, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
>>The differences in time among Greg posts (assuming he is in France) and my posts (in America) tells me that probably he/she and you Jav are in the American continent too. Another reason is that the few Dutchmen I know in Antimoon somehow show some kind of dislike for latin languages and can be found in latin related threads (like this one), and being Dutchmen, posting anti-latin comments. <<

I can assure you aldo b, I'm not in any of the American continents.In fact, I'm in a tiny country in north western Europe, and a native speaker of a language that has about 23 million natices overall.Some say it's the most gutteral langauge on earth ... got it already?

Your "them being Dutchmen" comment just made me laugh, if you think that there is even 1 Dutchman or woman that would bother to visit this forum to post derogative comments on a bunch of sociopaths believing they're the decendants of Roman soldiers ... then you're wrong.
Aldo_b   Thu May 18, 2006 11:06 pm GMT
Your comments are so childish. So you all think that the romance language speakers look at themselves as decendants of roman soldiers ? that's what bothers everybody ? Definitely you have made my day!!

That's about the same as hating Icelandic, Norman or Scandinavian people because they could believe they are brave viking warriors (although they are descendants).

Please check out your prejudices.

Ave