Do the Americans speak English better than the British?

Jack Doolan   Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:48 am GMT

"Crikey" was obsolete forty or more years ago but was used as a buzzword by the late Mr. Irwin. Incidentally, while most Australians regret to hear of Mr. Irwin's untimely death, he was a much bigger star in the USA than he ever was in Australia where some regarded him as a throwback.

Here he was thought to deliberately imitate the kind of stereotypical Australian once portrayed in American and to a smaller extent, English cinema of not quite the highest quality. I suppose he was merely giving North Americans what they expected since he was a lot smarter than he appeared.

Australians are grateful to the USA because it took Rupert Murdoch off our hands and to the English because they took Germaine Greer.
Guest   Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:54 am GMT
<Australians are grateful to the English because they took Germaine Greer>

Please please please please please take her back. The woman's a nutter
emely   Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:08 pm GMT
I think you gays spock for no thing
Morris   Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:57 am GMT
Australian accent sounds like a cross between american and british accents.

Australian "r" resembels that of british pronounciation and "a" is flattern than british "a" therefore a lot closer to the american "a".

I heard a footage recorded just before WW-II. the first time I heard it I thought the narrator was an american and I realized he was an australian because he mentioned where he came from.

On the other hand I don't mistaken footages made during the same period narrated by a british to be an american.
Guest   Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:29 am GMT
Which "a" do you mean? The one in "cat" or "cart"?

Most Brit pronunciations of "cat" that I've heard sound like "cart" or "kaht".
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:57 pm GMT
***Most Brit pronunciations of "cat" that I've heard sound like "cart" or "kaht"***

Flippin' 'eck!!! What kind of Brits 'ave you been hangin' abaht wiv mite?

Sorry to be flippant but I can't agree with your statement. I can't think of any region of this Island Queendom where that is the case. Not even in East Kilbride or Kirkby.
Morris   Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:34 am GMT
<< Which "a" do you mean? The one in "cat" or "cart"?

Most Brit pronunciations of "cat" that I've heard sound like "cart" or "kaht". >>

I mean "a" in such words as "fast", "can", "van". Aussie pronounciation of this vowel sounds resembles the american's more than it resembles the briton's.

Both american and aussies speech are nasalized and the sounds are not throaty but come from diapraghm while the that of briton's is not nasalized and throaty.

I watched australian shows in ABC via cable and I noticed newscasters speak like britons but when it comes to soap operas you could mistaken them for americans setting aside "strine" pronounciation.
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:47 am GMT
>>
Both american and aussies speech are nasalized<<

Nasalized? Really? I know that French has some nasalized vowels, but English?
Lazar   Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:25 am GMT
I've heard so many different accents described as "nasal(ized)" that the term seems to be totally meaningless.
Morris   Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:27 am GMT
Hey everybody. "Nasalized" is speaking as if the sound comes right out from the nose. That's it and for your info.

Linguists noticed that the accents of the nationalities are nasalized.
Lazar   Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:48 am GMT
<<"Nasalized" is speaking as if the sound comes right out from the nose. That's it and for your info.>>

I know what the word "nasalized" means. I just think that it tends to be overused in amateurish dialect descriptions. Cf "twang", "drawl".

<<Linguists noticed that the accents of the nationalities are nasalized.>>

Which linguists?
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:50 am GMT
There are plenty of British accents that sound nasally.
Morris   Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:26 am GMT
<<Which linguists? >>

There are lots of them! Those who wrote books about different languages.

<<There are plenty of British accents that sound nasally. >>

Maybe. But not as nasalized as the americans or aussies.
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:36 am GMT
<<There are lots of them! Those who wrote books about different languages.>>

Citations?

<<Maybe. But not as nasalized as the americans or aussies. >>

You can't possibly say that objectively. I've heard Britons speak as though they had a cold all year round. It's more a personal trait than anything.
Uriel   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:10 am GMT
Lazar, agree with you about "nasal" being a meaningless adjective. I think everybody thinks OTHER people sound nasal. I've heard Americans described that way by Brits and vice-versa, so obviously there's no objective standard for nasality!