Do the Americans speak English better than the British?

Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:07 pm GMT
Liverpudlians are nasal to the point of being permanently catarrhal, and they also seem to have a problem with recurring phlegm. Sorry to be so graphic but I'm trying to describe Scouse in all its glory.

By Scouse (upper case S) I mean the lingo, and not the hot stew thingy type dish Liverpool / Merseyside, is famed for, also called scouse (lower case S):

http://www.liverpoolcityportal.co.uk/eat_drink/scouce.html
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:09 pm GMT
If you ever go to Scouseland then learn how to speak like them:

http://www.liverpoolcityportal.co.uk/history/scouce_language.html
Rene   Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:44 pm GMT
Speaking of Scouse accents, i remember the first time I heard "Handy Andy" from Changing Rooms go off and I thought he wasn't speaking English. Then he came over for the American version of the show, "Trading Spaces" and it was really funny to watch them all just stare at him like he was from outer space or something. Then, he started trying to convert them to his own scouse speak and it got even more funny. Alright, I'm just rambling now aren't I.
mashala   Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:02 pm GMT
i'm not british, but what about african americans and our slang? hmm? we uh.. say what it is and what it do ,aint ,of course,what is you doing and so on.we are very bad english speakers unless you count SOME OF US. good day
Rizzeck   Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:44 pm GMT
Message to mashala

I'm African American, Kenyan to be precise, and I don't speak "slang."

Blacks that speak slang in the US tend to be uneducated or posers.

I grew up in a predominantly poor black neighborhood in Texas and I never talked ghetto or used ebonics - I certainly never called anyone a "nigger". When my parents moved to the suburbs, I was surprised to find blacks that lived there emulated their urban contemporaries. It was disturbing. In fact one of my first memories of sixth grade was some black kid asking me "why I talked white."

I don't know why the hiphop culture has such a stranglehold on black americans, but I know the blacks in the suburbs and ghettos listen to rap music. It is so painful to see people in my ethnic group act like gangsters when they don't live a gangster life, own a gun, or do jail time periodically.

I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm merely stating the facts.
AMERICAN   Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 am GMT
HEY, American English beats the crap out of you all, We rock.
To American   Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:29 am GMT
And Bush( aka nUcUlar) leads the pack! :-)
User   Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:14 am GMT
>> And Bush( aka nUcUlar) leads the pack! :-) <<

What's all the fuss with "nucular" anyway? It's a common pronunciation. Why does Bush get all the laughs, just because he says it that way? I say it that way, and I've lots of people here say it like that as well. We don't even have an accent.
Uriel   Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:33 am GMT
Everyone has an accent. And if you said "nucular" to me, I would consider your accent to be different from mine, because I say "nu-clee-er" -- and we're from the same country.
Guest   Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:01 am GMT
I just like the way it sounds: noooooo-kyoooolar
Guest   Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:03 am GMT
It's the new N word of the noughties.
Johnny   Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:44 am GMT
Yeah, I was born, brought up and have lived in Yorkshire for the 17 years of my life. And still, I hate the Yorkshire accent and can not understand it one bit. My accent is very clear and easy to understand. But like Liz said, there are so many accents randing from the plain stupid "Baarhnsley" accent to the "Queens English".
Rene   Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:44 pm GMT
Hey Johnny, don't beat yourself up. your accent is the hottest in the English Language, for men anyway. At this point, its even outranking Scottish (any variety) for me.
Karen   Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:06 am GMT
Try understanding what a Creole is talking about.
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:44 am GMT
it's better to put on an American accent if you want to work and/or live in UK since:

1. people will laugh at you if you put on a fake RP accent; I'd say
ordinary Britishers prefer standard American English accent to the RP
[therefore there are no British singers using RP...exception to the rule...Sophie Elis Baxtor... singing in RP is very cold and distant]
2. it's not very easy for a foreigner living abroad to master another regional accent (Geordie, South Wales, Devon accent...)