Learning to UNDERSTAND languages vs. learning English

Guest   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:05 pm GMT
Easy answer, it's England, the U.S.'53th state. Always sucks U.S. boots.
Benjamin   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
Do you really believe that England/UK has any significant political and socioeconomic dominance over the rest of the world?
Guest   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:18 pm GMT
Of course, they bomb us with lots of music.
Benjamin   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:23 pm GMT
LOL. You could say the same about German supermarket chains (in England, at least). Or the fact that whenever I go into a restaurant in England, often almost half the items on the menu will be in French. Not that I'm complaining.
Guest   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
So, what are you complaining ? If you are thinking that killing innocent people in Iraq is dominance then British do it right too.
Benjamin   Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:54 pm GMT
Do you actually think that the War in Iraq has anything to do with any 'British Global Dominance'? Do you realistically think that it would or even could have happened without the United States?
Guest   Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:06 pm GMT
Did you forget Malvinas islands (aka Falkland islands). Benjamin, it's a matter of will and madness.
Benjamin   Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
The Falkland Islands... which were ironically invaded by Argentina for no obvious reason. I say ironically, because Britain had actually been considering handing them over peacefully to Argentina before they invaded. Anyway, not that this makes it any better, but most European countries are just as guilty of this sort of thing. I'm sorry, but citing examples of wars in which Britain has played a relatively minor part (not that that necessarily makes it right), or of silly wars over a few damp islands in the Atlantic in recent times is not going to convince me that Britain is really dominating the world (or even Europe) in the 21st century.
Sigma   Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
Sigma — which English-speaking countries, except for the United States, have any significant political and socioeconomic influence globally today?

Inglaterra y Canadá son miembros del G8, Australia tiene la armada mas poderosa en el hemisferio sur, seguida de lejos por Brazil.
Benjamin   Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
« Inglaterra y Canadá son miembros del G8, Australia tiene la armada mas poderosa en el hemisferio sur, seguida de lejos por Brazil. »

Yes, but to what extent is the global influence of 'England' really any greater than that of Germany or France? The point I'm making is that I don't really think that it's fair to say that 'English-speaking countries' in general have special influence; it is the United States that has the overwhelming power and influence.
Johnathan Mark   Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:51 pm GMT
Nothing would make me happier than a stop to the infringement of English. While I was living in Seville, Spain, my parents came to visit me. I wanted them to have a Spanish experience (they both have a bit of Spanish ability and were excited to be able to try it out), but the resort they stayed at near Malaga was so dominated by Brits that it was completely unnecessary to speak Spanish or even experience the Spanish culture. If it weren't for the paella I ordered for them at the resort's restaurant, they might as well have been in England somewhere (although the weather was much too nice for that).

So, non-English speakers, if you want to stop the global domination of English, stop catering to customers who refuse to learn the local language, although it may mean turning down British pounds or American dollars.

Greg (I afford you the courtesy of capitalizing your name, which you for some reason withhold from yourself), in no way are the actions of my countrymen excusable, but if I recall the Vietnam War was a result of a failed French occupation, and the current instability in Iraq of (and much of the problems in Africa, the Middle East, and the rest of the world) the result of European colonialists forming political units by drawing lines in the sand (or jungle, or plains), completely ignoring ethnic, cultural, or religious boundaries. A wiser man than myself (and I think its safe to say, wiser than you, too) once said, "before removing the splinter from your neighbor's eye, remove the plank from your own." Or, as we said on the playground as kids, "when you point your finger at may, three fingers point back at you."

Also, I don't know why I bother because I have seen many others try before me, but I think I would say that etiquette would dictate responding to a post in the same language in which it is given. And don't think me an ignorant American--I also speak Spanish almost fluently (some would say fluently but I think most throw that word around too lightly) and have working knowledge of German (that puts me at fewer languages than you , I know, but that doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules of common courtesy).
Benjamin   Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:58 pm GMT
I actually agree completely with Jonathan. Although I will say though that, in Spain, for every British ghetto there is also a German ghetto. I don't know to what extent the Germans manage to speak Spanish there though.
Candy   Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:26 am GMT
Germans joke that Mallorca is the seventeenth Bundesland. ;) I doubt that too many Germans bother to speak Spanish when they're on holiday in Spain or one of the Spanish islands. No need for them to, as there are numerous German-speakers (on the islands and tourist resorts at least)

And I agree completely with Benjamin that British influence on the world these days is minimal. The Falklands War was 25 years ago, and I don't see that 'English-speaking countries' have any great power either, except for the obvious one.
Guest   Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:01 pm GMT
Such world domination is an illusion if you call power to squeeze the throat to weak countries or if you call influence to threaten weak countries. But that's the common denominator when we talk about U.S. Things change when you put China or North Korea in front, then they show respect and caution. They didn't get support from France, Germany, Russia or China to invade Iraq. They had to do it alone one more time. And they are paying for it as they had to pay for Korea and Vietnam. I'm sure that England, Germany, France or China could afford an invasion here or there and nobody could do anything about it but they have more common sense than insanity. An example was France when it made the nuclear tests in its Pacific islands and nobody could avoid it. Anyway I still can't see what such "influence" has to do with the spread of English. If the spread of a language would depend on good behavior then English would be an extinct language today.
Benjamin   Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm GMT
« If the spread of a language would depend on good behavior then English would be an extinct language today. »

As would practically every major language in the world, as well as a huge number of not-so-major ones.