disadvantages of a person who is does not speak english well

jc   Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 am GMT
what are the disadvantages of a person who is not good in english language?
greg   Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:45 pm GMT
Aucun si cette personne est un Russe vivant en Extramadure, par exemple...
Johnathan Mark   Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:13 am GMT
English speakers, especially Americans perhaps, may subconsciously think of you as less intelligent, and may become easily annoyed by you. This is the result of the complete dominance of English as the language of business and education in the United States.

This is unfortunate, and the remedy for this would be forcing Americans to try to learn a foreign language and then plopping them down in a country where that language is spoken exclusively, so they can realize how hard it is and put themselves in the other persons shoes.
tete de franchouillard   Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:35 am GMT
Look at it this way: there are absolutely no disadvantages of not knowing any French all; consequently, it's probably advantageous.
Dude Who Knows   Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:17 am GMT
<<English speakers, especially Americans perhaps, may subconsciously think of you as less intelligent, and may become easily annoyed by you.>>

What?! To use an old American expression, that's total B.S.
Boy   Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:32 am GMT
So it means that Americans would not like to hang out with those people who have strong foreign accents because they might consider them as terrorists or enemies. As I understand from the aforementioned post is that, If I have a strong accent that means I am a terrorist or an enemy of the USA.

Very very strange..what kind of logic is that... bad people exist in every country.
Bonnie Zhang   Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
I really do NOT take issue with what Brennus says. If that's what he has observed, then he should be free to state his observations without everyone ganging up against him. He might just come from a state in the US where discrimination is more rampant than in, say, the Silicon Valley.

Yes... the Silicon Valley is an example of a place where at least 60% of the decently-paid professionals in the computer/tech industry are first-generation Asian immigrants who really don't speak English that well. They get by because they have brains. BRAINS.

Personally, I repeat, personally, I believe the ability to express oneself logically and grammatically is much more important than accent. Of course, this view might simply be a result of my "native but overseas speaker" education.
greg   Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:55 pm GMT
Brennus : « Nevertheless, most Americans, and I've said this before on this forum, are still suspicious of people who talk with foreign accents and that is one of the problems you will have to contend with if you speak with one. You can't entirely blame them either. The hard truth is that the United States does have enemies around the world. »

"Raisonnement" hallucinant ! Les ennemis les plus dangereux sont ceux qui n'ont pas d'accent, non ?
one   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:19 pm GMT
"Yes... the Silicon Valley is an example of a place where at least 60% of the decently-paid professionals in the computer/tech industry are first-generation Asian immigrants who really don't speak English that well. They get by because they have brains. BRAINS."

I perfectly agree with this, but tell me why those people with brains don't go to school to learn better English? Or not neccesary, in my opinion, of one is smart then he/she picks up on the language very easely.
one   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
"English speakers, especially Americans perhaps, may subconsciously think of you as less intelligent"

Mark,

How in the world can you say something like that?
Majority of Americans are not able to learn another language.
Jacques   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
Yes... the Silicon Valley is an example of a place where at least 60% of the decently-paid professionals in the computer/tech industry are first-generation Asian immigrants who really don't speak English that well. They get by because they have brains. BRAINS.

you are wrong..
English is the only one working language there..
vivalafrance   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 pm GMT
Bonnie Zhang Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
I really do NOT take issue with what Brennus says. If that's what he has observed, then he should be free to state his observations without everyone ganging up against him. He might just come from a state in the US where discrimination is more rampant than in, say, the Silicon Valley.

if you can not speak english but only mandarin
offcourse you work in US
mandarin is used only in Chinese restaurant or in brothels or as drug mafia..
Guest   Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
Brennus said:

<<In short, you need supporting facts and examples. >>

I couldn't agree more. Please provide facts and examples to support this:

<<Nevertheless, most Americans, and I've said this before on this forum, are still suspicious of people who talk with foreign accents >>
Johnathan Mark   Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
""English speakers, especially Americans perhaps, may subconsciously think of you as less intelligent"
Mark,
How in the world can you say something like that?
Majority of Americans are not able to learn another language."

If you had read the second paragraph of my post, you would have realized that I agree with you that this viewing of those that speak English poorly as less intelligent is unfortunate, but I say to you that this is the way it is. The majority of Americans live hundreds and hundreds of miles away from a place where the accepted language of business or education is anything other than English, so their world is quite comfortable speaking English only, and they truly can't fathom the difficulty of learning a foreign language because they have never had the necessity to do so.

And note that speaking English poorly is not the same as having an accent. Speaking English poorly means speaking in broken sentences, with poor grammar, and almost unintelligible pronunciation, while speaking with an accent is merely pronouncing words in a manner different than that which one is used to hearing. A speaker who uses correct grammar with a foreign accent that is easy to understand may be initially considered sophisticated. Brennus is right, however, that certain accents can lead to distrust. You need look no further than portrayals of characters with French accents in the media to see that they can be viewed as snobs. Further examination will reveal other stereotypes for other accents, to be sure.
guesto no.uno   Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:06 pm GMT
MJD,

"""with someone who was not intelligible in said language, frustration would arise, be it English, French, Chinese, or what have you. """

You should review what you said.It doesn't make sense.
In said language??? perhaps you meant "spoken language...
be it English??? maybe "being English"?