Dear LATIN ANGLO AMERICAN

Nun Es   Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:33 am GMT
Latin Anglo American,

Are you just stupid?

1 celts have never been nordic people but centre european, the celts are originally from Austria which has a common border with Italy.

2 Romans where not italians. They came from an area which corresponds to Roma and a part of the south. The other people who were on what you call today Italy where celts and greeks.

3 You said on a post there has never been an inquisition in France where it has been the worst in Europe.

4 You said France is not catholic when that country has been the 1st official catholic country recognized by the pope and the Emperor.

5 There is not any french blood, we are not form one origin since we have been invad by Germans, Arabs, greeks....

6 Most of the french have a portuguese, italian, spanish name, even if a name sounds french, that name has been frenchified in the past (it is my case, my name is originally from Portugal).

7 Latinism is not YOUR HOUSE , this is also my house (with all my compatriots). You are talking about things you totally ignore.

8 The gallic people where culturally VERY CLOSE to the roman culture. The way you see the gallic are old clichés imported by JULIUS CESAR. ANYWAY, that is why the GALIC CULTURE WAS CLOSE WITH THE ROMAN ONES THERE HAS BEEN A FUSION WHICH HAS CREATED THE GALLO-ROMAN CULTURE.

9 We don’t speak in terms of ethnicity, and nobody will be able to give you any number.

10 DO YOU KNOW THERE ARE ALSO CORRIDAS IN SOME FRENCH AREAS??!!
Some TORREADORS ARE FRENCH AND KNOWN IN SPAIN AND ARGENTINA???????

Please shut up or read what is France before saying CRAP!!!!!
Latin-Anglo-American   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:17 pm GMT
First of all Nun Es, your post sounds wholly ignorant and pathetic. You sound like a bigot.
I will address your claims one by one.

<Are you just stupid?>

To be honest, I have an IQ of 140. I just don't let it go to my head like you might.

The fact that we even have to call into question whether France is a Latin country or not, goes to show France is not nearly as Latin to the extent that Italy or Spain are. Nobody has to question whether Spain is a Latin country. In fact, in North America, all Hispanics are referred to as Latin. Spanish music is called Latin music. There is no question that Spain and its former colonies in the Americas are Latin. There is no question that Italy, the birthplace of Latinate culture, is indeed Latin. There is uncertainity however about France. That says something.

<1 celts have never been nordic people but centre european, the celts are originally from Austria which has a common border with Italy.>

Uh, wrong. Time and time again you show me that you clearly don't understand what Nordic means. You think it's exclusive to people of the far north. The Celts originated from Northern Europe. The only reason they were in Central Europe and Gaul, is because they were driven from their orignal homelands by the migratory, and constantly expanding, Germans.

<2 Romans where not italians. They came from an area which corresponds to Roma and a part of the south. The other people who were on what you call today Italy where celts and greeks.>

No, by the time of the Gallic Wars, almost all Italians were considered Romans. They had been part of the Roman Republic for a couple centuries, had been fully Romanized, and were Roman citizens.

The Romans were an Italic people, so they shared much in common with most of the peoples of the Italian Peninsula. Parts of southern Italy were colonized by the Greeks, but most Italians were just that, Italians. Greeks were by far, the minority, and only had some coastal settlements. The Etruscans were another big group in Italy, and they were natives of the land. For the most part, Italy was populated by Italian peoples, of a similar genetic background, who at the time, were Mediterranean peoples, who looked much like Sicilians. They hadn't mixed with Germanic peoples. The Celts lived in the far north of the peninsula, but that area of modern Italy was considered to be part of Gaul, and not Italy. The people there to this day are Nordic looking.

<3 You said on a post there has never been an inquisition in France where it has been the worst in Europe.>

I did not say that. I said it wasn't as intense as it was in Spain or Italy. I also said that their was a great deal more religious tolerance in France as opposed the vehement opposition against "heretics" that was more commonplace in Spain and Italy. France has always been more secular and removed from the Church than Spain or Italy, which still dominated people's lives all the way through the first half of the 20th century.

<4 You said France is not catholic when that country has been the 1st official catholic country recognized by the pope and the Emperor.>

Again, you are wrong. I am assuming you are making reference to Charlemagne. Actually, the entire Roman Empire was officially recognized as a Christian state, hundreds of years before the Frankish empire was.

<5 There is not any french blood, we are not form one origin since we have been invad by Germans, Arabs, greeks....>

Obviously all people are mixed to some degree. But usually, people of a region share a common ancestry. The traditional French ethnic group is comprised of Gauls, along with other minor influences from Mediterranean peoples in the south of France, and Germanic peoples in the north of France. We can say that Mexicans aren't an ethnic group any different from White Americans, since they too have European blood. But we know how they typically look, and we can say that they are a mix of indigenous peoples and Spanish settlers. We don't obsess over the minor genetic strains of Austrian, Jewish, or Irish blood. That is the case with my mother's family. We know we have one or two ancestors of these other origins, like Austrians, Jewish, and Irish. But we know for the most part, we are Spanish and native American mixed. That's what we pay attention to. It's not that difficult. If these other immigrant groups only represent 5% of our ancestry, then we don't usually name them when we are speaking of our ethnic and cultural identity.

<7 Latinism is not YOUR HOUSE , this is also my house (with all my compatriots). You are talking about things you totally ignore.>

Again, you are making a fool of yourself. You mean to say, "You are talking about things you are totally ignorant of." To ignore something is to not pay attention to it. To be ignorant, is to have a lack of knowledge. I should start charging for giving these repeated English lessons.

<8 The gallic people where culturally VERY CLOSE to the roman culture. The way you see the gallic are old clichés imported by JULIUS CESAR. ANYWAY, that is why the GALIC CULTURE WAS CLOSE WITH THE ROMAN ONES THERE HAS BEEN A FUSION WHICH HAS CREATED THE GALLO-ROMAN CULTURE.>

No, it wasn't. Maybe the peoples who had such close contact with Rome because of trade, as in the far southeast of Gaul. But Gaul was a semi-barbarous culture, which was a tribal society. The Romans were a highly advanced, metropolitan civilization. The differences are numberless.

<Please shut up or read what is France before saying CRAP!!!!!>

Again, horrible English. And you need to take a chill pill buddy.
Saint   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:46 pm GMT
Completely untrue.
Benjamin   Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
It actually isn't the same thing, at least in England.

To ignore something is conscious. For example, I would say that I ignore football — my decision not to watch any of the World Cup is a deliberate choice.

To be ignorant of something is to lack knowledge through no real fault of one's own. For example, I would say that I am ignorant of the internal practices of the government of Burkina-Faso. That's not because I've deliberately chosen to ignore them, however.
greg   Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
Latin-Anglo-American : « The fact that we even have to call into question whether France is a Latin country or not, goes to show France is not nearly as Latin to the extent that Italy or Spain are. Nobody has to question whether Spain is a Latin country. In fact, in North America, all Hispanics are referred to as Latin. Spanish music is called Latin music. There is no question that Spain and its former colonies in the Americas are Latin. There is no question that Italy, the birthplace of Latinate culture, is indeed Latin. There is uncertainity however about France. That says something. »

Tout à fait : la seule chose que tout ceci révèle, c'est la superficialité tautologique dont tu fais montre à l'égard de phénomènes dont tu ignores tout.
Saint   Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
<You are talking about things you totally ignore.>
Why would you be talking about something you completely ignore? Doesn't make masses of sense, does it?
Latin-Anglo-American   Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
Well said Saint. The French people are merely trying to backtrack, and find justification for their butchery of the English language.
Benjamin   Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
« is correct. I could say too:

"You are talking about things you totally don't want to pay attention to (consciously)." Why ? because you are biased or don't care much or you are a big mouth or whatever else. »

Yes, but the meaning is not the same. Moreover, I don't actually understand what Nun Es meant there with the whole 'not your house', 'also my house' thing. I'm guessing that s/he attempted to translate an idiomatic expression from French into English, which unfortunately doesn't always work.

« And by the way not to watch any of the World Cup matches is a weird choice. »

Lol, yes. It's a weird decision, but football really doesn't interest me at all.
greg   Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:09 am GMT
Saint : Fr <ignorer> & An <to ignore> sont des faux-amis partiels et ils t'ont joué un bien mauvais tour !
a.p.a.m.   Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
Dear Latin-Anglo-American: What the hell is this insidious fixation of yours regarding ethnicity? Why don't you just drop the subject. People are people. There's good and bad in every group. Your mundane fixation regarding this topic is nauseating. There was a fellow who rose to power in Germany in the 1920's who had the same obsession with race and ethnicity that you have. The fellows name was Hitler. Cut the crap and grow up.
Latin-Anglo-American   Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:49 pm GMT
Yesterday I picked up a couple of books from the library on French culture, so that I could understand your impracticality.

It confirmed the assumption I made after getting to know you people on this board. The French, due to France's political history, along with other factors, have an aversion to talking about anything remotely related to race, or ethnicity.

You say, and this is correct, that America has an Anglo-Saxon based culture. Why? Because the original colonists of America were British. They carried Britian's culture and language with them. And they were of the same gene pool as their brothers and sisters back home in the mother country.

Yet, since then, after over two centuries, millions upon millions of immigrants have arrived in America, from all sorts of backgrounds.

Yet, that does NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT AMERICA HAS AN ANGLO-SAXON BASED CULTURE!

And all the more in France. France has not experienced anything near the same level of immigration that the United States has. There are still more indigenous French then there are immigrants. Yet today, there are far more people of Irish or German origin in America then there are English.

Evidently, the French people on this board look at the world through an entirely different set of eyes.

And then to imply that I'm a racist nazi?
Guest   Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 pm GMT
<<Why would you be talking about something you completely ignore? Doesn't make masses of sense, does it?>>

"Completely" doesn't have such absolute meaning in this case, it's an exaggerated way to say that somebody knows just a little about something. You just could *PRETEND* that you know much about something when even your knowledge could be limited, inaccurate or outdated.

<<Lol, yes. It's a weird decision, but football really doesn't interest me at all>>

WHAT!!!!! I feel like I'm fading awww
Guest   Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:50 pm GMT
LAA please use people from U.S. since American is anybody from Alaska to Argentina.
Guest   Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:50 pm GMT
From the encyclopedia:

"Origins of Italian people
Italians have some varying physical characteristics, a fact that may result from the ancient settlement of the peninsula by ethnically different peoples other than the original native Italic tribes. The Gauls in the north, the Etruscans in Central Italy (Tuscany and Umbria) and the Greeks in the south proceeded the Romans, who in turn "Latinized" the whole country and preserved unity until the 5th century AD. Jewish settlements were established in Italy as early as the Roman Republic and survive to the present day.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire in the West, Italy was subjected to a number of invasions and colonisations, which did little to affect its ethnic composition. Part of the north was invaded by Germanic tribes crossing the Alps, while the south was colonized by Mediterranean peoples arriving by sea. The Byzantine Greeks were an important power in the south for five centuries, fighting for supremacy against the Lombards of Benevento. The Germanic tribes underwent rapid Latinization and were soon inevitably assimilated into the native Latin majority of the peninsula. Native Greek-speakers were dominant in Calabria and eastern Puglia until the 11th century (end of Byzantine rule) and at a small scale survive today. Sicily was invaded by the Saracens in the 9th century, who remained in power until the Norman invasion in the early 11th century. The Normans reigned until 1282, to be succeeded by the Aragonese and the Spanish. In 1720, Sicily came under Austrian rule and was swapped between various European powers until Garibaldi liberated Sicily for the new Italian state in 1860.

Anthropologically, Italians are a primarily Southern European (Mediterranean) people with other European elements. Overall, Italians are physically and genetically similar to the Iberian peoples, including Castilians, Catalans, Portuguese, and the French, as well as other Mediterranean peoples, such as Greeks. Like the Iberians, there is a notable physical difference between the upper northern third of Italy and the southern part of the country. Due to regular population movements, the differences are not stark or pronounced, but do exist and may correspond to the ancient Italo-Celtic and Greco-Etruscan settlements rather than the various later invasions of Germanic tribes."

There are different ethnicities.
Guest   Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:56 am GMT
" in North America, all Hispanics are referred to as Latin. Spanish music is called Latin music. "

In USA the word "latin" is not used in the same meaning than in Europe but in a racial meaning for "mestizo". In US "latin" is used for latin-American with mestizo or mulato conotations (called "brown"), wich esclude latin Europeans. In the USA Italians and spanish are not considered latin but white.